JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of getting into gunsmithing but haven't found a lot of good info on how to start. I'm aware of the NRA's gunsmithing schools but none are anywhere near me. I know you can take certain online courses for specific guns such as the Glock pistols but I would still need some idea of what to do after that. Scanning craigslist or the other typical job boards for the rare ad for "trainee gunsmith" seems an unlikely way to get started. I'm also interested in learning machine tools in general. I've already got some knowledge of 3d printers and would like to learn about CNC programming. Is that a good avenue to explore? How did the gunsmiths here get started? Thanks.

LCC (Lane Comm College) had a very good (at least when I was there 35 years ago) machinist program. The guy who was the head instructor, literally wrote the textbooks used by many machinist programs. He probably isn't there anymore so I cannot say whether it is still good or not.

I started out as a machinist, with thoughts of becoming a gunsmith. Learned how to make all kinds of parts.
While a machinist I put allot of money into gunsmith tooling..( enough to buy another house I bet ) ;)

You could do it with some CC classes
Engine lathe
Vertical milling machine
Tig welding
Basic wood working
I bought broken guns and repaired them.
You have to have a good eye for detail.

Join the military as a Small arms repairer and excel, go to every school you can.

Go to one of the accredited schools.

You won't learn online, you need hands on instruction.

The machinist route will not teach you how to be a gunsmith, but all real gunsmiths needs to be machinists. Most schools don't even have a manual program anymore so its moot.

So there you are, go to one of the handful of accredited schools. Take out 50-100K in loans to cover living expenses , tools, ect while you are there.

Then get a job making $15-20 an hour if your lucky. Spend the next 15-30 actually doing the trade. Now you can open your own shop or work on your own and be a true smith, maybe making 50-60K a year or 100k+ if you are truly talented and or specialized. Real gunsmiths are pretty rare.

No one ever became a gunsmith to get rich. Its a dead end profession and very few really can make a good living do it.

There are a 100 easier and better money making careers.

Gunsmithing is one of the poorest ways to make a living there is. Everyone "wants" to be a gun smith and even I did. I've been a machinist all my life and work on guns quite often but I had to make a real living so I worked a "normal" job and did gunsmithing on the side. It's fun and mentally rewarding but making a living at it is almost impossible unless you find a "niche" in something specialized and dominate that portion of it. Thousands of starving gunsmiths across the country can tell you the same thing because I've met quite a few of them. But it's a great hobby!

Thanks for all the replies. You all pretty much confirm what I thought. I'm continuing to investigate CNC programming but not really as an entryway into gunsmithing. It sounds like it might be a sideline at best. Thanks for the info, everyone!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top