JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Define value.... we talking who builds the cheapest, or who builds the best for around 1k?

DIY is probably your best bet. But what barrel length are you looking for? Type of build? Questions you need to ask yourself.

If you're looking for walmart type value: Palmetto State Armory cranks them out pretty cheaply.

For a more precision build while staying in that price range DIY is probably going to be the way to go.

It's much harder to keep a 308 under the 1k mark due to the increased size/cost of parts. Particularly the BCG and the receivers tend to be up there in price.

Don't know much on the 308 AR platforms, have one, PSA pre-covid bought and assembled for $550. Surplus ammo with a $35 Amazon scope and it was still ringing steel at 400yrds all day...

Define value.... we talking who builds the cheapest, or who builds the best for around 1k?

DIY is probably your best bet. But what barrel length are you looking for? Type of build? Questions you need to ask yourself.

If you're looking for walmart type value: Palmetto State Armory cranks them out pretty cheaply.

For a more precision build while staying in that price range DIY is probably going to be the way to go.
Yeah I was attempting to avoid a full diy, but will if its a big gain I'd go there. I just don't have a clue who builds quality parts and where it matters in a .308. The intended use is all around utility, 16 inch and reliability being the biggest factor. I have diy'd on the super cheap for fun and they're unreliable crap (but fun to play with). I have purchased assembled mid range (1 to 2k) in 5.56 and have had them work fantastic.

I hoped some guys in the know could point me the right direction, the interwebs are a bit to flooded to filter through the opinions.

Aero Precision. Finding anything in stock will be difficult. Even a parts build will take time. I highly recommend that the upper and lower be from the same manufacturer. There are some combinations that work, and many that will not.

Sale times are going to be the best times to stay on budget.

Otherwise parts get expensive fast. As for reliability: I did have my first 308 sheer off the end of the extractor after about 200rds but that came down to poor design/manufacturing. And it was enough of a problem that JP Enterprises made a fix for it.. Installed their redesigned extractor on my bolt, and problem solved.

Haven't had many rounds through my second upper since covid and ammo shortages/price gouging started and kinda threw a wrench into that. But the first one was reliable until that extractor failed, and then made reliable again with the replacement extractor. I just know not to buy BCGs from the same company anymore cause they're only good for about 200rds before extractor failure.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads