JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at getting into reloading and have settled on a Hornady LNL AP.

My question to everyone is what is the best time of the year to buy a press? Are there many online or local (PDX area) retailer specials going into black friday or does that not apply to this type of equipment?

I know about the Hornady free bullets if purchased by the end of the year but based upon your experience is there any time better than another?

Thanks!

Understand...I've got about 1,000 rounds to go before I'm out of the factory stuff...I'm trying to time it so that I purchase the press before I run out.

I've been collecting cases for a while so when I get started I'll have about 2,000 of 9mm and 600 of 30-06 ready to start reloading.

I was wondering the same thing Techiej.

I keep hearing the press I want goes on sale occaisionally, but do I wait or just go for it. I also have some factory ammo left, but only maybe 2-3months worth..

The BEST time to buy a press is when you have the money in your pocket and before you spend it on something else:cool::cool:

Also, be sure and follow the Midway USA specials when you get 10-30% off on orders based on dollar value of the order.

Check the "net" for Coupon Codes for the various online vendors that sell Hornady presses. You'd be amazed at who offers them and the discounts available with just a simple "Code" that you enter on your check out screen(s)

I got my setup going in late November. During the winter I have a lot more time due to working less and less outdoor fun stuff to be doing. I was able to spend more time reading/doing and getting a good feel for the process. If I had started this time of year it would have been tougher, I havn't even prepped brass for loading for about a month now! Not shooting much either.

Another thing, I like to keep some factory ammo on hand in all flavors, for using in a new gun purchase as recomended by most manufacturers, and to just have a comparison when working on loads. It will save time and $$, ammo may not be on sale when you need it. Loading my own has made me a cheap(er) sucker!

Mike

Have you reached the point where you "squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops, and then pick that up to fertilize your lawn?
:s0114::cool::s0155:

LOL

I was raised by depression era parents, K-mart shoes and NO Levis, save bread ties and re-use sour cream and margarine containers.
What do you think? LOL

Mike

LOL

I was raised by depression era parents, K-mart shoes and NO Levis, save bread ties and re-use sour cream and margarine containers.
What do you think? LOL

Mike

In our house we washed out the Cardboard Ice Cream containers and used them to freeze Raspberries we grew.

Used the plastic bread wrappers for sandwich and lunch bags.

Got $.25/week allowance. Didn't have enough to buy a comic book and wanted an advance on next week's allowance? Same old answer "Tough, you'll have to wait until next week". Was all the way up to $5.00/week by the time I graduated from High School. Made $800 that summer fighting forest fires on the Olympic Penninsula. I was in "Hog Heaven" and bought my first car ($50):cool:

When I tell my Grandkids about "those days", they just give me that look that says all they're thinking is "BS, nobody could live on that little".

Of course I point out to them that my parents provided me with Food, Shelter, Love, Values, and an Education. I was then told to "go out and put it all to use". As I look back, what they gave me was totally priceless:):)

anytime a used one goes on sale for a reasonable price... why would you buy new?

For me it was nice to take the new RCBS Rockchucker Supreme, new smell and all, out of the box and set it up. And I think that buy the time you find all the little things, book, hand primer, press, shell holders, allen wrenches, loading trays(lube, pad, if your doing long gun) etc, I'm not sure your going to be saving THAT much money considering the time and gas of running around. Of course there are times the whole kit is available.

Mike

If I remember correctly, and that is a reach anymore....Presses usually go on sale close to Christmas. You can watch the online stores mentioned in the other posts and subscribe to their news letters which will give you a heads up. This is also something I have to do this Fall... One day, my buddy will want his Rock Chucker back!

Cabella's is calling me....... <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads