JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anybody tried sizing down 308 cast bullets to 277 size?

How many steps do you think it would take? I would like to use the newer style Lee sizer kits.

I am not worried about lube grooves as I would be powder coating these. I could coat them prior to sizing which would provide some lubricity to the bullet for reduced sizing effort.

I am not in a position to cast any right now.

My technique would be to melt the 308 and cast them .277. But seriously .10 through a lee die is the most I've done. You would need a press with alot of leverage. So about 3 steps, but 4 would be better.

My technique would be to melt the 308 and cast them .277. But seriously .10 through a lee die is the most I've done. You would need a press with alot of leverage. So about 3 steps, but 4 would be better.
Take a peek at this list and let me know which sizes you would use, to do it in three steps?

So, I would melt and recast them if it was me. If you are going to size them, I would pick common lee sizer diameters you could use in the future on other bullets withn 5 to 10 thousandths.

I bought some 8mm cast bullets from another member here. I have some lee 308 sizers, the largest is .314. I think I will powder coat a few of the 8mm bullets and see if I can squeeze them through the .314 sizer. I am guessing the 8mm bullets are at least .324 in diameter. That should give me a good idea as to how many steps I will need to take.

Casting isn't going to happen for me right now. My two choices are size down 308 bullets or buy some in the smaller diameters. The 6.5 and 6.8 cast bullets are harder to find and much higher in price than 308 or 32cal cast bullets. I did find a decent priced source for 25 cal cast bullets.

I plan on trying to size down some fmj bullets too if the cast bullets work out.

Edit: If the .010 step isn't difficult, it will open up a whole new world of pistol bullet sizing options. Like these "10mm" 240 grainers @shibbershabber is selling.

Or his 305gr 450 Busmaster bullets (maybe in one step).

Last Edited:
The only bullets I usually sized down are jacketed .458 to use in 454c. .06 in a jacketed lubed bullet is not too hard. I had never tried bringing a powder coated bullet down, so I tried one this morning. Measured before was .459 after was .451. It sized with a little effort, I had to lean on it a bit with a rc press, but I'm sure .01 or more would be feasible. You can see in the photo that a small amount of pc was removed, but is still mostly covered.

20220314_065825.jpg

The only bullets I usually sized down are jacketed .458 to use in 454c. .06 in a jacketed lubed bullet is not too hard. I had never tried bringing a powder coated bullet down, so I tried one this morning. Measured before was .459 after was .451. It sized with a little effort, I had to lean on it a bit with a rc press, but I'm sure .01 or more would be feasible. You can see in the photo that a small amount of pc was removed, but is still mostly covered.

View attachment 1154027
That's awesome, did you add any lube to the powder coated bullet before sizing it?

I think I will order the sizer kits in .010 increments. I should be able to accomplish the 308 to 277 sizing in three steps. I am going to go ahead and order a couple of kits to bring the 25cal bullets down to 243 and 224 diameter as well.

There is not much economy in resizing pistol bullets for me but I do have a bunch of 41mag cast bullets that I am going to size down to 10mm which should an easy one step process. I would also like to be able to size down some 458 bullets for use in my 450 Bushmaster so I will pick up a .452 sizer too.

I did not use lube for the powder coated bullet this morning. I do use it for the jacketed .458 to .452.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top