JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington 700 Tactical 308 with a 20 in barrel with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 with the RZ600 retical and absolutely love it . The Tactical is a medium range set up for 100-600 yards maximum and this works great. I am now working on another Remington 700 308 with a 26 in barrel and would like a scope that would work up to 1000 yards .I am just wondering do I need to go with a Nightforce or is there another option that will still leave some money in my pocket for some ammo. I am mostly putting holes in paper but when I have the opportunity and time like to shoot some varmints . I am turning to you guys that have been at it awhile and would like some of your sage advice. The new Remington 700 will be in a AICS chassis if that makes any difference and do have quality rings for it .
Thank you

Might look into Vortex Optics...

I hear nothing but great things about their glass. One of the best bang for your buck type deals.

while they aren't the absolute best, they can certainly hold their own against the best.

You might like the Viper PST line from Vortex. Particularly with the EBR-1 MOA reticle.

ret_pst_s_6-24x50_ebr1_moa-t.jpg

It's illuminated as well... A nightforce is going to run you well over $1000, where the vortex comes in around $850 leaving you plenty of extra cash for some ammo :D

I have heard good things about the Vortex. I am a huge fan of the IOR scopes, http://www.valdada.com I am getting ready to order my 4th one, just can't decide what one I want.

One of the many reason I like them is the MP-8 Dot reticle. It is very accurate and very quick to pick up like when varmint hunting.

mp_-_8_dot_reticle5.jpg

I will shake out the couch cushions and see if I can swing that.I do have a Vortex Crossfire on my FAL and it holds it own so the Viper may be the ticket .
I would definitely stop by a local dealer that carries them and take a peek through one yourself as well as other scopes in that range and see for yourself which you like better.

as for that valada holy crap! too rich for my blood! lol

I do not have a issue with spending money on quality optics at all. I am just trying to weigh out all of my options as I may have overlooked a scope there are just so many to chose from.

Yeah you're definitely out in the middle of nowhere lol, but I think it would be worth the hour + drive when talking about spending this kinda coin on a quality rifle scope.

That way you can make sure you like the scope before you buy it.

Sportsmans warehouse carries the vortex viper pst scopes as well as leupold and other high end scopes. Put your eyeball through them before you make your final decision. Remember everybody's eyes are different. What looks great and works great for one person may not look/work great for you.

It will be worth your time and fuel to look through them and be sure it's what you want before dropping the coin. You may decide you like something completely different then what we recommend all together!

I did go to Cabelas to view their mass collection of scopes and was a little overwhelmed to say the least. I also waited while the gal at the counter talked to her coworkers about how drunk she got the previous night . I chose not to take her advice and bought some jerky instead of a scope that day.

I do like Leopold's warranty you can actually speak with someone on the phone that goes for Zeiss as well . I will put into the equation that good customer service is needed as well . I myself would appreciate that especially after spending close to a grand on a scope !

I did go to Cabelas to view their mass collection of scopes and was a little overwhelmed to say the least. I also waited while the gal at the counter talked to her coworkers about how drunk she got the previous night . I chose not to take her advice and bought some jerky instead of a scope that day.

Haha yeah I definitely wouldn't take advice from people behind the counter at those shops...

Their purpose is to simply get the scope out of the case and put it on a dummy stock for you so you can have a peek through some of your top choices of glass to determine for yourself which you like best.

Lets face it...most of them working there can't afford those optics let alone have any real experience with them. Best to take the recommendations you get from experienced shooters with you and then compare them in person once you get a list together so you can see for yourself which one you like better.

The scope in my picture. It's a Bushnell Tactical Elite 6500. 4.5 to 30 power. The widest magnification range in any scope ( I think I looked at them all?). I wanted to go up to 30x, but all other scopes that go that high have a low side power of 8x - and that is just too much magnification in some scenarios. Under $1000. Always holds zero. Great Glass. Easy to read turrets that have a nice feel. I had a Nightforce NXS 5.5x20 I replaced with this scope. 80 MOA adjustment for elevation isn't as much as a Nightforce or a Vortex Razor, but for the price just buy a 20+ MOA canted base, and save over 50% compared to the competition's prices. I have a YouTube video of me making a one inch bulls-eye at over 1000 yards with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top