JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, orygun: Your truck reminds me of an old timer I once knew. One day He showed me his axe. "I've had this axe for 40 years," he said, "I've had to change the handle 3 times, but the head only 2!"

At least it's still the same frame!

This is something I could also post under the thread of other hobbies that's going around. I've had this truck 19 years and turning it into what I want has been a bunch of fun.

And for blacryan...

Go anywhere for a Soobie is a relative term. As long as it's something that remotely resembles a road, you are correct. The Unimog guys and myself know that your "anywhere" and our "anywhere" are not the same. Be careful of what you speak.:D

At least it's still the same frame!

This is something I could also post under the thread of other hobbies that's going around. I've had this truck 19 years and turning it into what I want has been a bunch of fun.

And for blacryan...

Go anywhere for a Soobie is a relative term. As long as it's something that remotely resembles a road, you are correct. The Unimog guys and myself know that your "anywhere" and our "anywhere" are not the same. Be careful of what you speak.:D

Oh really sir?

block_wrx_tracks.jpg

Tell me where that STI isnt going to go, that your "Anywhere" is :)

I got 2 rigs in the driveway, 1) '94 Jeep Wrangler 2) '85 Subaru wagon

Each one is a true 4x4 (no center diff) and a 4cyl.
The Jeep has 31's and 8" of clearance
The Subaru will have 28's and 11" of clearance in a week.
They each have low range
The Jeep has 12Cf of cargo room
The Subaru has 15Cf
The Jeep seats 4
The Subaru seats 5
The Jeep gets 15mpg on a good day
The 'ru gets 24mpg on a bad day
The Jeep is EFI
The 'ru is a carbbie

You do the smart math ;)

Off road is fine, but you won't get far once the trails run out. With my always-prepped BOV, I opt to already be on the road and headed for the desert while others are still scrambling for their supplies at the fuel pumps and grocery stores.

My BOV...100 gallon fuel tank (900 mile range), 100 gallons of water, 4kw generator, full basement storage, fridge, microwave, 21 gallons of propane, bathroom, hot water and forced heat, sleeps 5 and I have enough room under the queen bed to store two rifles and 2000 rounds of ammo for each member of the family and have room left over. I just put six 16 ply tires rated at 5000 pounds each on this vehicle to further my carrying capacity and safety. I can also pull our Toyota behind the RV to use if there is engine trouble, or to carry extra fuel and supplies, etc.

IMO, considering the livability and cargo carrying ability of an RV over an extended period of time, especially for us with family, it can't be beat. The immense depreciation of one also makes used models extremely affordable. Mine is 10 years old, has 45k miles and cost me just a little over $20k. 15 and 20 year old models go for much less.

Keith

Yeah, that Subie on tracks looks pretty cool and would probably go pretty far in the snow. On anything but snow, it'll be sitting on three tracks at the first serious obstacle. A unibody Subaru's suspension and steering gear isn't even close to strong enough for the loads applied by those tracks. Think of the extra two feet of lateral leverage against already marginal spindles and steering arms.

Of course we can all dream about $350k hand-built fully armored SUVs, Subarus on tracks, and any number of other interesting things found on the interweb. I currently OWN three Unimog 404s and I have extensive experience pushing them to (and beyond) their limits in every kind of weather and terrain found in the NW. I've buried a Unimog to the frame in the mud more than once and gotten myself out with nothing but a shovel, a high-lift jack, and a lot of sweat.

For my worst-case scenario getting home means traveling from work in Everett to my house in Seattle with my Pathfinder on 33s. In Seattle I switch to the 404 hardcab posted earlier in this thread. That truck gets me home to Belfair. In a natural disaster fallen trees and power poles are likely to be the most difficult obstacles blocking roads. If they are laying flat my Pathy will likely cross about six of them before ripping the steering gear out. Or maybe I'll break a spindle or CV on the first one. :( The important thing is that I know this. I know what the truck will and will not do. I know that any strenuous use is to be avoided at all cost if my life's on the line. Not so with the Unimogs. They were designed for this kind of use. My Unimog will cross fallen poles or trees all day, every day with no undue stress. Just lock the diffs and crawl over them in low gear. So long as you don't "back up and get a run at it" there isn't much that will break a Unimog. Their greatest strength is, well, their strength in my opinion. I bought my first Unimog because I was tired of breaking Jeeps, Broncos, and civi pickup trucks in the woods. In ten years of hardcore 'wheeling with a group of Moggers none of our trucks has ever broken in the woods. My hardcab started missing badly once at Walker Valley so I swapped in a new set of points. That's the only "trail repair" I've ever made. In a true survival situation reliability should be your equipment's number one asset. :cool:

Hmmm...maybe I need to start pulling a Unimog behind my RV...
Not a bad idea.... then when things get rough you can pull your RV behind your Unimog! :D

Keep in mind that if you do want to tow a Unimog you have to put it on a trailer. They cannot be flat towed at any speed! They are essentially high-speed tractors. UNIMOG is an acronym for UNIversal-MOtor-Gerät which roughly means Universal Motor Tractor.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top