JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Subaru Outback all the way.. The only car I could ever drive downhill on a sheet of ice and not lose my traction when I hit the break.. Yes, I know many will say thats a car for your more eco-friendly , liberal types, but most people are missing out. I had a 4x4 Ford Ranger that had 4WD hi and 4WD low and that car still didnt have the powerful traction, nor the good gas mileage the Subaru Outback had.

Subaru Outback also is great because, even though its not a large car, its very spacious and you can store a lot of stuff. If you are under attack, this is the car you can fold down seats and put tons of ammo, guns, food, water in this car. Because of the hatchback, firing from front and rear is very feasible, which is also important during a zombie raid. Why be stuck having to peep your body from car window, when you can just open the hatch and unload lot of firepower. That Subaru has gone so many places, I cannot even fathom how it makes it.

Ah yeah, love Subaru. Although for the sexiness appeal, A Lexus or Toyota Highlander SUV would be nicer. However, if I sitll wouldn't match it up to Subaru in a life/death crisis.

Whatever you do don't get a Ford nothing if you are in need of survival, unless its has less than 80,000 miles or you or your survivist buddies happens to have mechanical skills and a diagnostic system handy.

I'm currently searching for an early first generation Toyota 4Runner. It would be nice if it were diesel, but they are dead reliable and they get 20mpg.

I'm currently searching for an early first generation Toyota 4Runner. It would be nice if it were diesel, but they are dead reliable and they get 20mpg.

My 6.5L turbo diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy gets 17-19 MPG. It has only been unreliable once since I've owned it. I neglected to EVER check the transmission oil and it burned up on a trip out I-90, just before the pass. Even a well regarded transmission, NV4500, will fail when not properly maintained. The engine has over 242,000 miles now though. (knock on wood)

I would say a 1970s vintage Bronco or Blazer.

Easy to repair. No computer. 4x4.

My BOV is a Mercedes ML430 with side-lug Open Country tires. Not practical, but it is great off road.

My ideal BOV would be much simpler to repair in the field.

Anything after the 1970s would be off my list.

Various Mercedes models.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/5350/lebanon.htm
Lebanese civil war taxi/troop transport/utility vehicle.

Still all over Iraq as well, that and the old E34 and E32 BMWs.

...Either those, or one of those early 90s toyota 4x4 pickup trucks.
View attachment 227795

Seriously, though. We all know it's the nuclear submarine. Here's an Ohio class nuclear submarine.
ohiosub.jpe

Y'all are thinking like city boys. A good mule will out perform any of those vehicles. Mainteance is a curry comb and buckeet of water.

That was EXACTLY my first thought. The ugly truth is that in the vast majority of the PNW, the terrain is so rugged that a BOV is going to be restricted in most areas to roads and logging trails, which any competent true 4x4 can handle adequately. But I'm not satisfied that is enough.

I like to be able to get away from crowds, so I like to cut loose with my favorite ORV - a really compact, powerful mountain horse. I find Peruvians work fantastic. Gaited for a smooth ride, compact for manuevering, legendary strength and endurance. And in all except a few parts of the PNW, they can subsists on eating the stuff around them - no need for gas stations. I think Wichaka can identify with this, too.

Climbing the Meadow Creek drainage up to the Pacific Crest Trail last fall, a little north of Steven's Pass:
IMGP3543.jpg

You can't bottom these things out even on boulders the size of footlockers. She's doin' some "technical" riding here (it's actually much nastier than this photo makes it look):
IMGP3585.jpg

But if I gotta choose a caged vehicle, then I am completely content with a late model Toyota LC 100 series. Awesome reliability, power, and impressive towing capabilities.

If I were totally paranoid and wanted the cheapest/best thing to climb any trail, anywhere, I'd get a Toyota 80 series LC with the solid front axle and kit it with ARB sliders, bumpers, winch, and on board air compressor.

Seriously, though. We all know it's the nuclear submarine. Here's an Ohio class nuclear submarine.

Heh heh, yeah, that could come in handy in a tight spot...

I was very supprised by a dodge AWD mini van I have. I have a country acreage and I get off the drive and graveled areas at times and I don't think it has ever spun a wheel, wet grassy slope or mud it goes without pause. They are cheap and dependable and get 20 mpg. The only problem is the cheap Crysler elec. systems.

This was my survival vehicle for over 10 years. A 1979 Scout II with a 345. I sold it last summer because gas prices and V8 MPG no longer made it worth keeping. Now I have a 1980 Scout II with a diesel.

Brian's scout II 003 copy.jpg

Somebody finally mentioned a Scout.:s0155:
These are probably what the Wife and I would use. Always put away
ready to go, full of fuel and fully loaded with enough supplies
to survive for about 4-5 days. Stop by the Safe and head to
the woods.

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_1644.JPG

Love them Scouts, we had one for years. 345 is a beast for torque, but mileage suffers.
Get a spare ignition control box too,... While you still can!
Or get an older point type distributor and carry spare components.

I have always admired the Scout.

Does anyone have experience with the International Travelall?

Those are more like a Suburban for people that need the BO with a family.

Wouldn't an old Blazer or 'Burban serve better since parts are easier to get?

That's one of the problems with the "cash for clunkers" program. Spare parts will only get harder to find.

I just have to chime in about the VW baja, or lifted bug, being a great BOV. The engine is easily fixed, the body is simple, the wiring can be fixed with anything available. The suspension sucks, but when you're running for the hills who really cares about a few extra bumps? A stock 1.6 engine can tow 900 pounds without overheating. Plus gas mileage can be as good as 32mpg.

If you want to make the car a super power house do what I am; take a water cooled subaru engine and slap it in the back. A 2.3l engine designed to push a 3200 pound car is a torque monster when put in a 1600 pound car.

I just have to chime in about the VW baja, or lifted bug, being a great BOV. The engine is easily fixed, the body is simple, the wiring can be fixed with anything available. The suspension sucks, but when you're running for the hills who really cares about a few extra bumps? A stock 1.6 engine can tow 900 pounds without overheating. Plus gas mileage can be as good as 32mpg.

Excellent points.

Don't forget they are fun to drive also.:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews