JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought cigars are lit with the cedar paper that separates levels of cigars in a box :p
It depends on the level of cigar snobbery that one subscribes to. Butane is a bastard gas but it's a clean flame, like sweet lady propane. If you use a Zippo you are likely to taste whatever fuel is in it when you light the cigar. Wooden matches and cedar strips are fine if you like to show off your cigar smoking pedigree. Bernzomatic works great too and is a wicked fast light.

I am not too sure if it floats but it is pretty wind resisted from my trials and lights virtually every time. Doesn't really ever need to be refilled. I haven't refilled mine in over 6-7 years. I'm sure you can find one made in the states. They are pretty common online.

IMG_0330.JPG

I am not too sure if it floats but it is pretty wind resisted from my trials and lights virtually every time. Doesn't really ever need to be refilled. I haven't refilled mine in over 6-7 years. I'm sure you can find one made in the states. They are pretty common online.

View attachment 369841
Those are awesome. I got ten for ten bucks off ebay. Free shipping from China. But yes, they work every time. Better than a Zippo IMHO.

last time i smoked a cigar was on my wedding day. it was the last thing i wanted to do but my buddy came down last minute on leave. he called and told me he was coming to my wedding, i told him "you are my best friend, you are in the wedding, my only request is no cigars" i told my wife that he was now in the wedding... the day before our wedding. ya, she was SUPER happy... especially since it was last minute...NOT!!! he wore his fancy Army Service uniform and after the ceremony he whips out this bigass cigar. i was really buzzed already from all the beer we were drinking so yeah, we smoked a cigar... i got SUPER dizzy because ininhaled.... every time. i got the spins and layed down. im pretty sure that anyone who was in the wedding party isnt allowed at that vineyard anymore.

I have several bic lighters around in bags, vehicles, drawers, etc and that's what I would recommend too. But around the house I use this kit:

51WbvdshJsL._SX425_.jpg

I like the low profile head as it doesn't get in the way as mush as the taller ones. The head will fit any of the small propane bottles, work great with fire starters for the wood burning stove, BBQ, last a long time, and have great reach.

I have a tungsten lighter that works like a charm. Uses very little fuel and keeps it at pressure so it can shoot it out and keep it wind resistant. One fill and it lasted for a year with heavy use. Not sure of the company though.

Used to do a LOT of backpacking (several month long treks), and even more of self supported cycle touring (month long trips & a yearlong trip, which included crossing Xiangjiang & Tibet).

Best lighter? Cheapo butane. Always worked. Even above 10000' and in subzero temperatures.

Tip is to pack it such that the valve won't get depressed is all. During foul weather & heat (to mitigate problems from sweat), I wrapped both my open cigarette pack and the lighter in a ziplock baggie.

Tried a new survival plasma lighter on my yearlong cycle tour for a while, it failed where the cheapo ones worked fine.

Edit, adding: currently my go to lighters are mini-bics. Have them in all the bags, in the truck & SUV, as well as stock up on them in the 5 pack when we do a Walmart shop (as well as stock up on the full-size 5 pack Bics). We just put them "up" in the original packaging, along with other stores, for rainy days...

Yes, the plasma lighter is very suitable for survival use, it is also my EDC lighter. It is an oil-free, windproof and waterproof lighter. I can also use it to light cigarettes when the wind basically blows the trees to the side.

If you really want something reliable I would get a firesteel along with some cotton balls soaked in Vaseline that's what I carry in my Search And Rescue pack. Lighter wise I would always throw in a cheap bic lighter that I get in bulk. They aren't as reliable but they're nice to have.

You beat me to it. $1.99 at Hobo Freight. Trick is to just saturate 1/2 the cotton ball with Vaseline leaving dry fibers to catch a few magnesium shavings. I stick the cotton wherever you want a small blob of napalm.

It also works well as a long handled match if you stick it on the end of a stick.

Used to do a LOT of backpacking (several month long treks), and even more of self supported cycle touring (month long trips & a yearlong trip, which included crossing Xiangjiang & Tibet).

Best lighter? Cheapo butane. Always worked. Even above 10000' and in subzero temperatures.

Tip is to pack it such that the valve won't get depressed is all. During foul weather & heat (to mitigate problems from sweat), I wrapped both my open cigarette pack and the lighter in a ziplock baggie.

Tried a new fangled wind proof lighter on my yearlong cycle tour for a while, it failed where the cheapo ones worked fine.

Edit, adding: currently my go to lighters are mini-bics. Have them in all the bags, in the truck & SUV, as well as stock up on them in the 5 pack when we do a Walmart shop (as well as stock up on the full-size 5 pack Bics). We just put them "up" in the original packaging, along with other stores, for rainy days...
Second this. A couple of cheapo's in a container that keeps the dry and from being pressed ftw.

Lighters are pretty ubiquitous but I carried the zippo as well when backpacking in other countries. In case I had a fuel issue. MSR international as well. Zippo won't burn everything you stick in it but it'll always burn whatever you soak the wick in, provided it lights.

1580353932135.png

...works every time.
Some people don't realize this, but chrome collar is a wind shield. That plus your hand and you can light a ciggy in a hurricane (done it!).
Otherwise, ever heard of a Trench Lighter ?

1580354071287.png

...works with any flammable liquid. Diesel, gasoline, Butane...The part with the ring is a cap that unscrews. You fill the wick from there.
The part with the holes is a sleeve that slides up and removes the cap at that same time.
Part with the wheel can be taken apart when its time for a new flint.
Small, light, elegant. Patterned after the lighter issued to servicemen during WW1.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads