JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a prior thread, I sought advice on the best 22lr semiautomatic pistol, and have settled on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Tried it yesterday at the range (as a rental), and I loved it. Also rented a suppressor, and goodness, what a fun combo to shoot!

I'm now working to find a local Mark IV, but am already looking ahead to a supporessor purchase. I noticed Ruger's suggested model is the Silent-SR (model 19000) sound suppressor. Do members here recommend that, or is there a better option to consider pairing with a Mark IV?
1642818342342.png
Thank you for your thoughts!

The Ruger can is meh. I am sure they recommended it because it says Ruger on it.

Best rimfire can on the marked these days is the Dead Air Mask HD.

I have 5 rimfire cans personally, and the Dead Air Mask is easily the quietest and easiest to clean/maintain.

Dead air mask is the best sounding can available. Followed by Rugged Oculus. The Oculus gets bonus points for being configurable. It is also as easy to clean as the Mask.

Fellow NWFA'er let me test his AAC Element 2 on my Mark IV 22/45. That's what I bought and really like it.

Not to derail this thread too much, but seriously consider the Volquartsen spring etc upgrade. I also added a TandemKross trigger and beehive grips. Game changer! YouTube search to install properly. Takes 30+ minutes.

And as if you're not blowing thru ammo fast enough enjoying the Mark IV, you HAVE to get the McFadden Speedloader if you don't have one already. $20 on Amazon.

D0E6D58F-03EE-425B-9C10-3419A265B860.jpeg 61755461-39C3-4298-911A-AFE6097013E2.jpeg

IMO the Mask is a great supressor but is a touch heavy feeling on a Ruger Lite. I have a Mask and an El Camino and good friend with a Sparrow and Element 2. The Element 2 or El Camino is what I would choose for that particular pistol.

My first rimfire suppressor was an AAC, no complaints but don't have the chance to test side by side.
Side note, I have the volquartsen accurizing kit for my MKIV 22/45 lite but haven't been brave enough to put it in. Any tips or vids that would help?

My first rimfire suppressor was an AAC, no complaints but don't have the chance to test side by side.
Side note, I have the volquartsen accurizing kit for my MKIV 22/45 lite but haven't been brave enough to put it in. Any tips or vids that would help?
Best IMO. Watched, then followed with play/pause.

Best IMO. Watched, then followed with play/pause.

I installed the kit on my MK4 Hunter, the trigger was obscenely light, but I still loved her. She moved in because she couldn't support a suppressor. The install is pretty easy. On my MK4, I installed it before shooting the gun and I was getting light primer strikes, which may or may not have been a previous issue. I installed the bolt tune kit and all was well in the world.

I ended up going cheap for my dedicated 22 LR can, and bought a SilencerCo Sparrow 22. Not sure about 'best', but no complaints with it
All .22 cans are comparably cheap and when you're below $400 base price but still have to add $200, the point becomes moot real quick. Can't see the appeal of a specifically cheap .22 can.

Wouldn't mind seeing how it sounds in the real world, not just a computer speaker, though

All .22 cans are comparably cheap and when you're below $400 base price but still have to add $200, the point becomes moot real quick. Can't see the appeal of a specifically cheap .22 can.

Wouldn't mind seeing how it sounds in the real world, not just a computer speaker, though
That's definitely a fair point. I just didn't want to spend ~25% more for something I only use a few times a year.

The sparrow at $300 seems like a decent deal. $500 ish total. Monocore, all steel construction. Not much wrong with it other than they sell out quickly.

Own an El Camino, it looks like it belongs on a Ruger MK IV but has noticable first round pop. Fine after the first round. Would probably not purchase again but will look sexy on my cut down Mark IV shouldered against the receiver.

Own a Dead Air mask, best all around 22lr can, period! If you are only going to buy one can, this is the one. Yes a little heavy on a pistol but is 2oz in additional weight really an issue???? Will excel on a rifle and I find no issue when running on a pistol.

Own a Engergetic Arms Nyx Mod2, awesome pistol can and rifle can, all titanium, modular if you like that, hands down the best machining I have seen of any brand suppressor. No first round pop and close enough in sound reduction to the Mask I can't really tell much of a difference. Love this can so much, I have another in jail.

Rugged Oculus, own but still in jail. Variety is the spice of life so I decided to give one a try. Also needed a FDE 22lr can so that tipped me over the edge. Hear nothing but great things.

Energetic Arms Nyx, own but still in jail. Loved the Nyx mod 2 so much, I had to give the shorter, fixed length a try. Pretty sure this will become my favorite 22lr pistol suppressor due to its mix of all titanium, length, weight and what I have heard is excellent sound suppression. If you will own (2) 22lr suppressors, this should be one of them and the Dead Air mask the second.

I would own an AAC Element 2 probably if they were still made but the bankruptcy and subsequent liquidation sale to Palmetto State's holding company means AAC cans are off my list.

The Thunderbeast 22 take down is supposed to be a great can and I have one in jail but no first hand experience with its function. I purchased for exclusive rimfire rifle use.

Have shot friends YHM Phantom, AAC Halcyon and CGS Hydra. Nothing wrong with these cans but for similar money you can get better cans in my opinion.

Buying a suppressor is like buying a tattoo, you will have it for the rest of your life so why save $100 or even $200 which is only a couple dollars a year over the course of your ownership.

My last piece of advice, if you know you are buying a threaded rimfire and WILL buy a suppressor. Don't wait till you purchase the host to purchase the suppressor. Make your suppressor choice and get that order in so you can start the wait on your tax stamp. You then have between 90-days if you believe the eforms hype to a year wait for the can and you can put that time to use locating your Mark IV.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top