Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best suppressed semi auto 22

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by OR_VARMINT_HUNTER, Dec 18, 2013.

1. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Banks,OREGON Member

I have sparrow coming soon or later I'm 7months into my wait so hoping soon but in the mean time I wanna get another host I currently have a ruger 10/22 with a tacsol barrel and a savage fvsr and Walther p22 but I'm wanting another semi auto 22 so was wondering who has semi autos they love that r suppressed and what are they

2. Audrey

Audrey Willamette Valley Active Member

I've shot/heard a Sparrow on a M&P 15/22, a Ruger 10/22, and a couple pistols. It's interesting how the various bullet velocities can impact the decibels suppressed or unsuppressed. The only issue with the slower bullets seems to be their ability to cycle the action or reset the trigger, but maybe these issues can be addressed with further parts replacements.

3. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Ruger SR-22 suppressed makes for a handy little weapon.

4. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

I really like my Ruger 22/45 Lite. I run it with a g3 clandestine can.

Bulk pack ammo is subsonic and quiet through this combination.

5. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

Smith & Wesson M&P22 pistol. Super quiet and have not ran into anything that it won't cycle including subsonics/standard velocity. Forgot to say you will love the FV-SR mine is a tack driver with the standard velocity or subsonics, it is also so quiet that the sound of working the bolt and brass hitting the ground is much louder than the shot itself.:thumbup:

6. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

sure hope so I enjoyed shooting my fvsr 22lr so much I just purchased an fvsr in 22mag won't be as quite but it's a tack driver also

7. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

I have a Sparrow at home in the safe. For hosts I've got a 10/22 with a TacSol barrel, and a Mk-III with the factory threaded barrel. I had the nice guys at Brimstone Gunsmithing work over the trigger on my 10/22, what an amazing difference. On the MK-III, I installed a Sam's bushing to remove the magazine safety, and added a Volquartsen drop in sear while I had it apart.

Those mods were very inexpensive and made all the difference in the world. I really like both my rimfire guns, not looking for anything else.

One thing that's interesting is that with standard velocity ammo, you'll usually get some supersonic rounds with the rifle, but not so with the pistol. I'm sure it's due to the shorter length barrel. Wouldn't be an issue with subsonic ammo, but I'm cheap...;-) The pistol is amazingly quiet with the can on it, really fun to shoot.

8. TDH

TDH Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had RedTazDog make me a 4.5" AR barrel- everything stays subsonic out of it.... I have a 16" CMMG AR upper too, but I shoot the lil one way more.

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

FV-SR my fav also. So much fun for so little cost.

Don't forget your Sparrow can also handle 5.7. It is far from 'silent' though, just calms it down.

10. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

This is the reason I submited form 1 on mu MP -15-22

11. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

Where can you get the 4.5 ar barrel I have a sbr lower already so that would make a fun toy

12. TDH

RedTazDog, member here, made mine but I don't think he's making them anymore. I think taccom makes a 4" and 7", as well as complete uppers- someone else might too.

13. flybynyt

flybynyt Battleground, WA Active Member

I like my Old Henry lever action .22. Fun, accurate, and quiet.

14. telero

telero Salem area, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Did RedTazDog make a standard 4.5" AR barrel, or 15-22 barrel? (or both?) If a 15-22 barrel, was it just a cut down barrel?

15. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

I dont know about Thenning's rifle, mine will be cut down the original barrel and re-threaded it.

16. telero

telero Salem area, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Darn, I keep hoping someone will come up with a full set of replacement parts for the 15-22 barrel...barrel, extension, and ejector. I'd really like to have a couple different barrel configurations, without having to actually swap barrels. Spare uppers and aftermarket barrel nuts are available, and I know there is at least one barrel maker out there that is interested in turning better 15-22 barrels. Being able to put together a spare upper and only swapping the bolt over would be nice.

17. TDH

Mine was a new AR barrel, I bought a stripped upper and put it together.

18. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

I've got lots of threaded Ruger .22's, but my favorite host for my SWR Warlock has to be a stainless/synthetic Marlin 70PSS Papoose, which was threaded by Tornado Tech.

19. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

With a good can and sub sonic ammo the loudest noise you hear is the action on a semi auto gun. If you want to go super quiet, look at a bolt or lever action.

20. PORSCHE928S4

PORSCHE928S4 Newport, Oregon Active Member

Lever action faster than a bolt and unlike a semi auto cycles every time and all you hear is the hammer drop !