JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm looking to spray paint an old South African FAL butt stock I'm working on refinishing. Truthfully, the whole rifle could use some Cerakote, but I don't have that in the budget at the moment.

So, this is a stopgap measure.

My guess is some of that heavy duty engine spray paint, but should I throw down primer first? Or, is it more a matter of "dammit, man, you're spray painting, who cares?"

Flat black Rustolium in the rattle can that kind of had a trigger. I think Ive got a can laying around that I could take a picture of.
Its awesome stuff, 2-3 coats with a few days dry time.. Tough as nails.
I use it on my wasrs.

Now colored paints.. Ive yet to find any that were as tough or non glossy or that didnt make the rifle/shotgun look like an airsoft toy.

I wish there was an easy high temp matching paint for barrels. I always seem to scratch them with my barrel vise no matter how tight I make it removing flash hiders, etc.

Appreciate the feedback so far, fellas. I don't have the setup or interest in procuring the parts for an air spray gun and sand blaster, etc.

I'll take a look at the ubuiquitous Krylon camo with Fusion after work.

Flat black Rustolium in the rattle can that kind of had a trigger. I think Ive got a can laying around that I could take a picture of.
Its awesome stuff, 2-3 coats with a few days dry time.. Tough as nails.
I use it on my wasrs.

Now colored paints.. Ive yet to find any that were as tough or non glossy or that didnt make the rifle/shotgun look like an airsoft toy.

I'll take a look into that. Flat or satin black is all I'm after.

The only reason I haven't is re-sale but those Airsoft guys have some cool techniques. I like the look they get with netting.

I sold a Polytech AKS 7.62 Legend side folder (AKM-47) to my brother -in-law about 16 years ago... I still regret to this day letting my wife (at the time) badger me into selling it, but at least its still in the family. I will never sell off another firearm again, and the closest I would ever get is making a trade for another one.

I'll take a look into that. Flat or satin black is all I'm after.

Rattle can stove paint pretty closely matches the flat black parkerized finish on AK/Saigas and ARs. Quite a few folks use it when converting a Saiga to touch up the bottom after removing the klinton plate rather than duracoating/ceracoating the whole receiver.

Krylon Fusioned S12
s12s.jpg

s12s.jpg

I have been using Duplicolor high-heat ceramic engine enamel. Stands up to heat really well and designed to withstand gas, so it holds up to most solvents. You can air cure it or bake it.

would do better with blasting and phosphate coating it, would be a tad more authentic. whenever I see a painted gun I try to guess at what is being hidden, or how badly it was treated to warrant paint.

As for being authentic.. It was pretty common for AKs to be paint over park - all Russian and Bulgarian AKs are made that way, as well as several other nationalities. Just saying.

I've painted several rifles using enamel, krylon lacquer and Brownell's spray finishes. I use my firearms and have found that the paint is an excellent rust inhibitor. I'm not concerned with damaging the resale value as paint can be easily removed

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top