JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings all!

I've been thinking that I'd be smart to buy some spare parts for some of my guns, I currently have none. I was looking at the brass magazine follower tube from a Henry lever action .22 and thinking "Dang, if that got bent, this gun would be pretty useless."

Without getting into specific make/models that I have (unless those particulars are important), broadly speaking, what are the most important or best value spare parts that I should acquire?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Are you asking "in general" or for specifically a semi-auto, lever action or revolver?

Different types would benefit having different spares.

--You are true and correct about the tube feeder. A spare spring for it would be good too.

--Firing pins and firing pin springs.

--Extractors and extractor springs.

--Magazine springs.

just to name a few off the top of my head....

How about for those different types?

What would be the most important for revolvers?

For semi-auto pistols?

For centerfire rifles?

I hear you saying "springs, springs, springs!" That's a great start for me, thanks!

If you spend a little time looking on other forums, especially gunsmithing sections, you can glean information on the failure rate of parts for specific guns.
Some of the things I have purchased multiple times for different guns I own (C&R and even new):
  • Gas rings
  • Extractor & spring (have had two break)
  • Firing pin and spring
  • Ejector pin/spring (have had one break)
  • Bolt heads (1 for bolt action, two for AR). Not something normally replaced, but I buy used guns, and if it looks gummed up, I replace it.
  • Recoil spring (they do wear out)

Do you have a preferred online source or sources for parts?

I guess another way for me to approach this to upgrade some of these springs and just hang onto the originals as spares.

A generic kit like this is nice to have too. You can "closely match" the spring that you want to replace (thickness and diameter) and cut to length.

Look on GunBroker and other auctions sites. Search for "______ parts". (the underline is the brand of firearm you are looking for). There are quite a few firearms parts posted. Almost as if the serial numbered part was destroyed, and the rest of the parts were stripped to be sold.

Without getting into specific make/models that I have (unless those particulars are important), broadly speaking, what are the most important or best value spare parts that I should acquire?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

I would recommend making things easy on yourself.

Just buy more guns.

Those at times , tiny sight adjustment screws...
The screw that holds floor plate to the stock / receiver on a bolt action rifle...
Barrel band screws...

To keep from getting "screwed" as in a buggered up screw head...I suggest that you also buy a set of gunsmith screwdrivers...:D
Andy

"Why? Use what you got and replace when needed. ;) "

Two in the hand is sometimes worth a lot.

I was just wondering, why replace something if it doesn't need it, just to keep it for when your new item wears out (breaks)?

I was just meaning, use factory part until it needs replaced.

Either way, this is your rodeo. :s0151:

I'm thinking about long term emergency preparedness and a potential time when it could be a lot harder to just hop online and order anything you want. I was just thinking, if I'm buying spring kits, I might as well get better ones than factory stock and upgrade my guns with them while I'm at it, keep the originals for when I might need a replacement in a pinch.

Blue thread lock from harbor freight.

Spare parts, mostly from Midway USA. Usually I'll have a list going of wants, needs & nice to haves. Buy them if on good special, or mostly just as ad ons to bump the overall price up if they've got a "free" shipping deal.

Most of there "free" shipping deals require X amount of qualifying for the whole order to ship free...lately anyways. Usually the small parts count.

Last order thru them I "saved" $60 worth of shipping by doing such.

Now all of my wants/needs parts list is filled, but can always ad on more "nice to have" spares in the future if needs be. Or if some parts are on closout/crazy mark down.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top