JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ed's Red has no peer! Its marvelously effective, cheap to make.

Google for the formula and make yourself a batch. Basically its Automatic Transmission Fluid, Mineral Spirits, Kerosene, Acetone and Lanolin.

If you leave out the acetone it makes an excellent gun oil.

There is even a variant for use in black powder guns - "Ed's Pink"

I make Ed's Red up a gallon at a time. I give a few ounces to friends here and there and most of them end up making a gallon of their own.

For (chemically-speaking) organic solvent I like break-free <broken link removed>. Degreases like crazy. Pretty tough on some older paint and styrene-type plastics but entirely safe on all parts of AR-15's for example. Not good on fiber optic sights.

For a water-based cleaner, MC-25 from Mil-Comm works really well, smells like pet shampoo, but otherwise a very good gentle product.

For chamber/bore cleaning I use the old standby Hoppe's #9 and their Copper Solvent.

Last Edited:
I have been considering that. So you think it works well? what kind is safe for composits?

I use it on metal parts without any problems. It can muck up
wood finishes, and keep it away from Hi-Viz brand front sights!

I use it on my Glock competition gun frames, but it turns them
temporarily grayish.

This is all with the cheapy wally world 2 bucks a can stuff. Great for
blasting the crud out of crevices and tight spots. I'm a little bit
lazy when it comes to cleaning. Blast it with the brake parts cleaner,
blow dry with shop air, wipe down and lube.

I am currently using that. I like it, although it seems to leave a residue when it dries on parkarized finishes. Have you had any such problems?

I've used "Scrubber" for years. It does leave a whiteish residue that disappears when a light coat of oil is applied over it. My "major" complaint with the stuff is that it also degreases your fingers and hands. Drys the skin right up. Make sure you use some hand lotion afterwards. Also, use only in well vented areas.

I just tried the Birchwood Casey scrub, definitely different formula than the Powder Blast, smelled a little like alcohol, but good "flush-out" action for pre-cleaning.

Boy the reviews on Kano penetrating oil on Midway look like 100&#37; positive. I like that idea of mirror-bright bore. Better accuracy too? Hmmm....

I just tried the Birchwood Casey scrub, definitely different formula than the Powder Blast, smelled a little like alcohol, but good "flush-out" action for pre-cleaning.

Boy the reviews on Kano penetrating oil on Midway look like 100% positive. I like that idea of mirror-bright bore. Better accuracy too? Hmmm....

Yeap, I'm usually skeptical of "five star reviews" but in this case there were 52 reviewers and it STILL had a five star rating so I figured it was worth a shot. :s0155:

Been using non chlorinated brake cleaner for years. I hose the bore on my rifles with it and use it to clean trigger groups. Just remember to keep it away from plastic and wood finishes. Also be aware that it comes out cold and if you overdo it you can cause condensation to form which, of course, can lead to rust.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top