JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for smithing/armorer tools. The site I've found to have the best selection of tools appears to be Brownells. Are there any other sites? Brownells seems somewhat spendy with some of their tools. For instance $15 for a single punch... This might be worthwhile to someone who is going to be doing this as their profession but a bit more than I want to spend as a hobbyist.

Midway USA and then GoogleFu for specific items. Brownels isn't the only company that sells punches, for example. But quality tools are never cheap. Like many things, however, you tend to get what you pay for. And punches, specifically, are generally regarded as consumables. Most will bend and/or break at some point. How long depends on usage.

So with punches, you may wish to invest in a set of starter punches. These are shorter punches and, therefore, usually less expensive and less prone to bending than longer punches. The idea is you use the starter punch to get the pin going and then switch to your regular punch to finish the job. And if you bend/break a starter punch it's cheaper to replace.

Midway USA and then GoogleFu for specific items. Brownels isn't the only company that sells punches, for example. But quality tools are never cheap. Like many things, however, you tend to get what you pay for. And punches, specifically, are generally regarded as consumables. Most will bend and/or break at some point. How long depends on usage.

So with punches, you may wish to invest in a set of starter punches. These are shorter punches and, therefore, usually less expensive and less prone to bending than longer punches. The idea is you use the starter punch to get the pin going and then switch to your regular punch to finish the job. And if you bend/break a starter punch it's cheaper to replace.
Absolutely. I'm all for quality. I've got several sets of general purpose punches that are very high quality at home. I've made them work for building/armorer work but I've come to realize that if I can have something designed with armorer work in mind I might be better off. Looking for stuff that is based around AR builds first, then some AK and pistol tools.

There are a few things I'm after. I need a complete set of starter and finishing punches for each size that an AR necessitates. Also looking for ejector removal tool, a barrel dimpling jig and gas port alignment tool. I have most everything else I need for AR purposes at the moment. Then moving on to others

If your in the Portland area, Hall Tool is a really good source for tools.
Pacific tool and die is another, but can be limited and a bit spendy
Kurt Tools
Most of your 80% builders supplies should have good smithing tools, and/ or recommendations for them!
Hint, most of the tools needed for building the 1911's are also quite helpful for smithing other firearms!

Screwdrivers from Brownells, punches (roll and flat) from amazon (Grace USA) The rest is just miscellaneous stuff acquired around various places.

This might be of interest to you

Brownells screwdrivers
I use all sorts of punches, all different mfg, and I have broken most all.
But as mentioned above. If you break anything Brownells they will replace it. No questions asked.

I will warn you about "wheeler" screwdrivers. Had one break unscrewing a side plate. As it broke it scratched it plate. Made for two days work doing a reblue. They got sent out into the auto toolbox.

Lyman makes a decent trigger pull gauge
I use a nice rubber face mallet. Nice for not marring anything.
Bench blocks, Amazon

That kit I list above has all the starter and roll pin punches needed

This is the ejector removal tool I use, there are cheaper one available but I got this one because it will do both AR15 and AR10 bolts as well as Remington 700, Winchester 70, Savage, and Sako bolts.
BROWNELLS EJECTOR REMOVAL TOOL | Brownells

Look at SLR Rifleworks for dimpling jigs
That ejector removal tool looks good although it got a couple of negative reviews based on the threads needing be chased/having some sort of coating on it. I supposed I could return it if it had any issues but it looks to be exactly what I'm needing.

Brownells screwdrivers
I use all sorts of punches, all different mfg, and I have broken most all.
But as mentioned above. If you break anything Brownells they will replace it. No questions asked.

I will warn you about "wheeler" screwdrivers. Had one break unscrewing a side plate. As it broke it scratched it plate. Made for two days work doing a reblue. They got sent out into the auto toolbox.

Lyman makes a decent trigger pull gauge
I use a nice rubber face mallet. Nice for not marring anything.
Bench blocks, Amazon
I'm assuming it has to be Brownell's own brand and not tools from other makes sold through their site. That would somewhat justify their higher price then, especially for someone who is using them a lot like you :)

Mostly AR platform both .223 and .308. I would also like to be able to work on my AK platform. When I get more comfortable, I'll start doing work on my CZ P09. Smaller makes me more nervous as I feel like it would be easier for me to misplace parts and I assume they're more specific.

-Brownells Screwdriver

-Inch Pound Torque Wrench

-Cheap Steel & Brass 17pc Punch Set

-4 to 8 Ounce Ball Peen Hammer

-Harbor Freight Rubber Mallet

-Harbor Freight Plastic Dead Blow Hammer

-Digital or Analog Calipers

-Obsidian Arms Punch Set

-Little Crow Gunworks Bolt Catch Tool

-M-Guns Gas Tube Bender

-Brownells Gas Tube Wrench/Vise

-Iosso AR Nylon Brush Set

-A SOLID Work Bench

-4"- 6" Vise.

-Vise Pads

-½" Foot Pound Clicker Torque Wrench

-AR Multi Tool Armorers Wrench

-Geissele Reaction Block or Kley Zion Buffer Tube Jig
The Geissele ONLY works on Milspec Receiver Extensions. The Kley Zion works on Milspec AND Commercial Receiver Extensions.

-Magpul BEV Block

-File Sets – Good quality – Pilar and Needle

-Needle Nose Pliers

-2# Hammer
Propane Torch

-1.4636 Forster .223 GO Headspace Gauge

-1.4736 5.56 Field Headspace Gauge

-1.4646 Forster 5.56 GO Headspace Gauge

-Midwest URR - Geissele Reaction Rod or the Kley Zion Clone.

-PRI Gas Block Punch Block

-Wheeler Bench Block

-Sinclair Bolt Vise

-M-Guns MOACKS or Brownells - Gas Key Staking Jig

-Bondhus Metric & SAE Ball Tip Allen Drivers

-Trigger Pull Gauge

-.061-.250 Pin Gauge Set
That set will allow you to check the following:
Barrel Gas Ports, GO Spec for Bolt Firing Pin Hole (NO GO .070 requires a Taper Plug Pin Gage), GO Spec for Lower Receiver Hammer & Trigger Holes (NO GO.163 requires a Taper Plug Pin Gage), FCG Hammer & Trigger Holes, Carrier Key Bore, Cam Pin Bore, FSB/Gas Block Gas Tube Bore, GO Spec for Pivot & Takedown Bores (My NO GO Spec is .253, so that is outside the range of this Set).
You can't do the following with this set:
Gas Block/FSB Barrel Journal Bore, and Bolt Carrier 3 Bore.
-Selector/Safety Bore

-.061-.250 Pin Gauge Set
That set will allow you to check the following:
Barrel Gas Ports, GO Spec for Bolt Firing Pin Hole (NO GO .070 requires a Taper Plug Pin Gage), GO Spec for Lower Receiver Hammer & Trigger Holes (NO GO.163 requires a Taper Plug Pin Gage), FCG Hammer & Trigger Holes, Carrier Key Bore, Cam Pin Bore, FSB/Gas Block Gas Tube Bore, GO Spec for Pivot & Takedown Bores (My NO GO Spec is .253, so that is outside the range of this Set).
You can't do the following with this set:
Gas Block/FSB Barrel Journal Bore, and Bolt Carrier 3 Bore.
-Selector/Safety Bore

You can use two pins together to increase the range but must account for the double tolerance of the pins.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top