JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Generic muzzle erosion gage for the .308 family. Springfields, Garands, Carbines, M1A, etc. Chamber erosion gage for the USGI M1 Carbine. Barrel straightness gages starting big ending up tight for the various .308 nominal bore barrels. Drill bits for the gas port hole. .080 stock. .078 undersized. .082 oversized. .084 oversized. Future soft lead bullet hand loads may require more gas. Tuning for M2 reliability.

I use the stuff to determine USGI Carbine barrel suitability.

Last Edited:
Outside of specialty tools for specific guns most of my gunsmith tools are common tools you would find in any machinists box. Starrett is a good but not cheap source for some, harbor freight for basic stuff like ball peen hammers and mallets, their vises are kind of hit and miss, buy bigger than you think you need.

Brownells is likely the best source for specialty tools. 1911 front sight staking tool, Remington 870 ejector staking tool,12 gauge barrel crowning tool.
Chamber Reamers, Headspace Gauges, and Firearm Accessories Since 1957 - Pacific Tool and Gauge is another, not sure what they offer anymore, give your wallet to your spouse or a trusted relative before you visit the site. Just friendly advice, I got into trouble there not long ago.

A good solid bench should be your first project - I used one I built using the Simpson work bench bracket kit and 2x4's built it 8 feet long 2 feet wide, with a bottom shelf loaded with heavy stuff, bullets mostly. Rock solid base for my vice, reloading, press and any task I chose.

If you are REALLY good you will wind up making some of your own tools. Like barrel vices and receiver wrenches. But you have to be heavily invested in tools to make other tools. Like floor mounted drill presses, mills, lathes. That is the crossroads where hobbies turn serious.

Last Edited:
I picked this vise block up on sale. It is pretty slick for a lot of reasons.

Yes, I know this is an old thread. But, I figured someone might want to see the info. If not for the first time, maybe as a refresher.

Assuming that you quality.....you might just want to print up your own certificate.

Wile_E_Coyote_Cerificate.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Brownells is my go to for most stuff. Easy stuff like AR's and Colt SAA's no one beats their tooling. Unfortunately their AK tool selection sucks. Otherwise Brownells has it all.

Hollow-Ground Screwdrivers
Ever see a torn up slot head screw on a fine firearm ?
It's a sad sight.
This used to be called the Bonanza Gunsmith screwdriver set.
Forster bought out Bonanza. The street price now is about $60.
My set was was $30-something a few coon's ages ago.

There is something about having a straight shank, non-bit holder screwdriver.
It's hard to explain unless you've been there.

Bit Holder Screwdriver

I'm in the trades so I use all manner of bitholder screwdrivers, power and non-power.
It is very hard to find a simple bit-holder screwdriver without some sort of BS ratchet system.
The Klein is the Last of the Mohicans.
Add your specialized Brownell's bits as needed.
The tamperproof bits work in non-tamper fasteners as well.
Find in the professional electrician's tools section at Home Depot.

Torque Screwdriver
This Husky is a well-made piece of kit :
Beats Wheeler like a red-headed step child. (not saying much)

Bit Holder Screwdriver
I'm in the trades so I use all manner of bitholder screwdrivers, power and non-power.
It is very hard to find a simple bit-holder screwdriver without some sort of BS ratchet system.
The Klein is the Last of the Mohicans.
Add your specialized Brownell's bits as needed.
The tamperproof bits work in non-tamper fasteners as well.
Find in the professional electrician's tools section at Home Depot.
Direct, have you tried the new bit holder from Tekton? Handle looks weird but if you have large hands like I do it blows everything else I've ever used out of the water.

This thread is awesome! I've spent like 1k on tools in the last 6 weeks or so getting set up for a few projects, including freeing up a top box for gunsmithing tools, and it's looking a bit empty at the moment, should probably fix that...

Direct, have you tried the new bit holder from Tekton? Handle looks weird but if you have large hands like I do it blows everything else I've ever used out of the water.

This thread is awesome! I've spent like 1k on tools in the last 6 weeks or so getting set up for a few projects, including freeing up a top box for gunsmithing tools, and it's looking a bit empty at the moment, should probably fix that...
Not a fan of the ratcheting bit holder screwdrivers.
For my money, the Klein bitholder screwdriver is the Last of the Mohicans.
But, it costs more than the average Joe wants to spend and it's not widely available.

Contrary to common belief, and even though you have all those bits in that kit, the bitholder screwdriver will not do everything.
Get in a tight spot and you'll see what I mean.....immediately.

Not a fan of the ratcheting bit holder screwdrivers.
For my money, the Klein bitholder screwdriver is the Last of the Mohicans.
But, it costs more than the average Joe wants to spend and it's not widely available.

Contrary to common belief, and even though you have all those bits in that kit, the bitholder screwdriver will not do everything.
Get in a tight spot and you'll see what I mean.....immediately.
Not a ratchet bud. Just a bit holder with a handle. Seriously, you should check it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

When I need tight spaces I use the VIM tools half size bits and ratchet. Works just fine in the less than an inch areas.

The Klein is ok. Had it before. Don't care for the handles, too round.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top