JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok guys, this is my scenario. The last time I did reloading was 20 years ago and I borrowed my neighbors press. Today I currently shoot the following calibers . 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 6.5 Creedmoor, 9mm, .40, .45acp, and .41ae. I already have the dies for .41ae since I ran across a new-still wrapped in plastic Hornady dies. The 7.62x51, 6.5 Creedmoor, and all pistol calibers will see only single stage press work since the volume will be somewhat low and with the rifles accuracy counts. So initially I will be doing all of my reloading on the single stage, but once I get comfortable with my abilities I plan on getting a progressive press for the 5.56 and 9mm since I shoot these calibers hundreds of rounds at a time. So since I will have a rather considerable investment in dies, what brand of press should I consider for the single stage that all dies will work on the progressive press. As I understand it most dies will work with most presses, which die/press combination is the exception? Any opinions about sticking with Hornady items? Is there a superior die brand over all?

All opinions welcome .

You missed a deal today on the site.

Rock chucker supreme 200bks. Get one of these and you can add the rcbs piggyback 4 . This fits the RC supreme and will turn it into a 5 station progressive, and this combo will do all your calibers.

And if you want pop it off and go load your sniper rounds single stage on the supreme.

I'm using the pro 2000 auto indexing for all my rifle rounds and have a piggyback 3 on an older rocker chucker doing all my pistol calibers .

Also have another RC for miscellaneous stuff. All are set up on inline fabrication quick change mounts. All dies have the same threads and I do use some hornady dies on my rcbs equipment.

The best decapping is the universal one hornady makes!

For a single stage press you can not beet the larger heavier frame of
the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. No flex when sizing large rifle and
pistol cases. And a great lifetime warranty. :D IMHO

RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, Lee dies I use in my Dillon 550B and RCBS
Rock Chucker Supreme. I personally have no experience with
Hornady equipment. But everything I have heard from fellow shooters is
that it is excellent reloading equipment.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You missed a deal today on the site.

Rock chucker supreme 200bks. Get one of these and you can add the rcbs piggyback 4 . This fits the RC supreme and will turn it into a 5 station progressive, and this combo will do all your calibers.

And if you want pop it off and go load your sniper rounds single stage on the supreme.

I'm using the pro 2000 auto indexing for all my rifle rounds and have a piggyback 3 on an older rocker chucker doing all my pistol calibers .

Also have another RC for miscellaneous stuff. All are set up on inline fabrication quick change mounts. All dies have the same threads and I do use some hornady dies on my rcbs equipment.

The best decapping is the universal one hornady makes!
Was the deal on this site ? Sounds like you know your stuff and have a piece or two of equipment .

RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, Lee dies I use in my Dillon 550B and RCBS
Rock Chucker Supreme. I personally have no experience with
Hornady equipment. But everything I have heard from fellow shooters is
that it is excellent reloading equipment.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
From what little research I have done, Dillon makes a great multi-stage pre$$, but can be expen$ive.

I have a 40+ year old rockchucker still going strong. So for a single stage it would absolutely get my vote. For progressive the Dillon xl650 is my favorite for versatility but can get expensive depending on how much you shoot. The Dillon 550 is great and there are tons of caliber conversions out there and easily found for good prices in classifieds and eBay.

I've heard good things about the lee 1000 but never personally used one.

As for dies most any will work unless you buy a press like a Dillon Square Deal which uses proprietary Dillon dies. I vowed a long time ago never to use hornady dies. Had nothing but issues and horrible customer service. I use Dillon and RCBS dies and both companies have amazing customer service. Something Dillon is known for but twice now I've emailed RCBS telling them that I broke this or this was broken when I bought it used and both times rather than selling it to me they sent it free of charge.

That's a lot of calibers. If you don't want to spend a lot on a progressive press the Lee Classic Turret Press is reasonably priced and will be more versatile. If you get extra turrets caliber changes take about 1min. I've even loaded 500 S&W and .308 on mine and it handles the larger cases just fine. Have a look at Titan Reloading or Midway USA they might have a sale going.

I presently load .380, 9mm, .40S&W, .38, .357, .500S&W, 5.56mm, .22-250, .351SL, (.308, and 30-06 less often and .45acp), and have been pleased with the results. Just a thought since you listed quite a few calibers there. Most dies are standard nowadays. I think the only modern dies that have proprietary threads are for the Dillon square deal B presses. At least that I know of.

Wow, so far the Rock Chucker sounds like a winner. I have a question about this press. As I was browsing the Cabelas site a "hand primer" is mentioned in the description. Are the deprime and prime operations performed by hand? If so is it much of a hassle?

For you Hornady guy's (if you chime in) do you find much value in the "lock-n-load" die changing system?

I was looking at the various starter kits and my head began to spin.

Does anyone make a progressive press that allows you to shut down all of the automated features allowing it to be used as a single stage ?

And yes, I ask stupid questions , it's my specialty .

Wow, so far the Rock Chucker sounds like a winner. I have a question about this press. As I was browsing the Cabelas site a "hand primer" is mentioned in the description. Are the deprime and prime operations performed by hand? If so is it much of a hassle?

For you Hornady guy's (if you chime in) do you find much value in the "lock-n-load" die changing system?

Does anyone make a progressive press that allows you to shut down all of the automated features allowing it to be used as a single stage ?

I talked to a guy that said he used his Dillon 550 like an inverted turret press. It makes sense that you could since it doesn't auto-index.

Name brands aside...

An "O" frame press is what you want to look for. Many companies make them in colors such as green, red and another red that's cheaper that the more expensive red. An O frame will last you forever without wearing out.

Green: you can buy it and spend a lot but it will last.

Expensive red: spendy, still does same as green.

Cheaper red: cheapest, but will load rounds just like the red and green presses. You will have more money left to buy components or another press like it so you can have TWO or even THREE mounted to the bench for the cost of one of the above.

Priming:
Sure you can hand prime. Leverage is your friend. Press mounted priming systems rock. Really, they do.

Hand systems can have this happen... so can press mounted systems. How far from your hands do you want it to be?
Warning: Primer Detonation

Now brass prep is a whole different topic better left to a different day.

$.02

Regarding a turret press that can be ran as a single stage:
4 Hole Classic Turret Press - Lee Precision

I have a turret head for every caliber.

Any specific questions, I'm up late most evenings. Feel free to send me a message. Speaking of, have rounds to load right now and brass to prep.

Last Edited:
Was the deal on this site ? Sounds like you know your stuff and have a piece or two of equipment .

Make sure you get the supreme 1st and add piggyback 4, get it in MANUAL INDEXING since you would be new to progressive reloading. .... you can get the 100bks auto indexing conversion kit later if you want.

Not that I know if... if you get a pro 2000 auto index you can disable the auto index arm and make it manual indexing.

Take a close look at the Dillon bl550 at $260 as it will do just about anything your single stage can do at not much more cost and can be upgraded to the auto prime and powder drop for about $125 when you get ready for it. The 550 is not really a true progressive press but more of a vastly improved turret press and can be used just like a single stage. As for dies Lee is your friend I prefer my Lee dies over any others for most aplications. Rcbs and hornedy are less than Lee quality for close to Dillon prices.
For a good quality single stage look at the Lee classic cast o press as it can be had for quite a lot less than a rock chucker though in many years of reloading I have only used a single stage for limited things that can't be done on a progressive like sizing cast bullets.

i have gotten into reloading lake city 7.62x52 brass and the rcbs rock chucker with some good lube will bring those cases to size no issue. This on my old pacific press was quite a chore. I like the rock chucker so much I have two on my bench.
Another consideration with RCBS is once you buy a die from them just call the company up and they will ship you the part free of charge. They stand behind thier product so yes they might be more exspensive than some but I will pay for the loyalty and service. My reloading bench has a lot of gree.

I used a rock chucker for 30 years loading mostly for hunting and loved that press. However, when I began shooting semi auto handguns and AR-15s changing out the dies became a real pain. Went and bought a Lyman turret press and 4 extra heads. OMG, what a difference. With all the different rounds you are wanting to load, I would sure recommend taking a close look at a turret press.

i have gotten into reloading lake city 7.62x52 brass and the rcbs rock chucker with some good lube will bring those cases to size no issue. This on my old pacific press was quite a chore. I like the rock chucker so much I have two on my bench.
Another consideration with RCBS is once you buy a die from them just call the company up and they will ship you the part free of charge. They stand behind thier product so yes they might be more exspensive than some but I will pay for the loyalty and service. My reloading bench has a lot of gree.

Reloading 308 LC brass separates the boy toy presses and the real Cast Iron ones like the Rock Chucker.
LMAO!

I used a rock chucker for 30 years loading mostly for hunting and loved that press. However, when I began shooting semi auto handguns and AR-15s changing out the dies became a real pain. Went and bought a Lyman turret press and 4 extra heads. OMG, what a difference. With all the different rounds you are wanting to load, I would sure recommend taking a close look at a turret press.
I am interested in more opinions on turret presses. keep in mind I am both brand and style neutral . My life experiences have taught me that when you find a tool that "falls somewhere in the middle" it works, but not great because of compremise. Can I expect accuracy near that of a single stage? The output of a progressive? I have never heard anything negative about a turret press, in fact it sounds like a "can do it all" solution instead of buying new presses. If anyone could hook me up with a manufacturer that would be willing to give me one of each press, I in turn would write a step by step guide for those of us who know nothing but need to know everything . ......by their first purchase. Sorry for the rant, second Red Bull is kicking in .

I am interested in more opinions on turret presses. keep in mind I am both brand and style neutral . My life experiences have taught me that when you find a tool that "falls somewhere in the middle" it works, but not great because of compremise. Can I expect accuracy near that of a single stage? The output of a progressive? I have never heard anything negative about a turret press, in fact it sounds like a "can do it all" solution instead of buying new presses. If anyone could hook me up with a manufacturer that would be willing to give me one of each press, I in turn would write a step by step guide for those of us who know nothing but need to know everything . ......by their first purchase. Sorry for the rant, second Red Bull is kicking in .

Google 7 station Turret Press.
If I went that route it would be a 7 station!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top