JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just curious what you all thought the best caliber was to carry? I personally love .40 and .45 maybe cause bigger is better:D but Iv also looked in to 9mm's. I almost bought a .357 glock before i purchased my G27, the only reason why i stayed away from the 357 was because the bullet comes to more of a point an Iv been told it tends to go completely through the person and not stay inside the body.. So the chance of the bullet going through and through is way higher.. which in most cases causes less damage.. Wat do you all think??

I have a 9mm because I know I can keep on target better.

I am not going to get into the stopping power argument because I am all about well placed shots. the kind of shots that will disable with a .22 if you get my drift!

Uht oh, this is gonna start a serious debate :)

Right now I carry a G19 (9mm) because I like the capacity (15+1) and it shoots where I aim. My concern with the caliber is that it doesn't have enough penetration. Though, on the other hand, that's a good thing. I've been looking at 10mm and .357 sig but I'm also wondering whether or not it'd be a good shoot if I shot someone through an object.

Modern self-defense ammunition is potent and reliable in just about any self-defense caliber (.38 and up). Beyond that, choose the gun with which you shoot best. I don't care what caliber you're carrying, it's worthless if you can't hit your target. There are endless debates about caliber (most common is 9mm vs. 45) that are based on sterile testing and a few stories "from the street." A handgun is NOT the ideal self-defense firearm, it's simply the most convenient one. Anybody who wants the "ideal" should start looking at shotguns.

I went with the gun that was most effective in MY hands: G30 (.45 ACP) The 9mm was a close second, but a second nevertheless. However, it will probably be my next purchase; the ammo is cheaper (more practice!) and the mag holds more of it. These are two tactical concerns that are more important than the subtle nuances of size, velocity, expansion, etc.

9v45_poster.jpg

The best defense caliber is the one in the gun that you actually want to carry and can shoot well. The worse is in the gun that you don't like carrying and leave at home.

Its all about shot placement. Most situations put you in at under 7 yards, and any caliber can disable at those distances, so it places the emphasis on your skills and the reliability of the firearm to dictate your survival, not the size of your round.

The best defense caliber is the one in the gun that you actually want to carry and can shoot well. The worse is in the gun that you don't like carrying and leave at home.

Its all about shot placement. Most situations put you in at under 7 yards, and any caliber can disable at those distances, so it places the emphasis on your skills and the reliability of the firearm to dictate your survival, not the size of your round.

VERY well said! Those are my principles surrounding CCW. Theres also the post legal ramifications to take into consideration. Sure, you can say, a good shoot is a good shoot, but when your butt is actually the one on the line, that's a whole new shade of consideration. I have too much on the line in regards to my family, that I'd rather not tread down that path. I have a J frame that I'm proficient with, and take EVERYWHERE, with me, no matter the attire. From basketball shorts, to evening attire.

And my ambition is to take the most efficient route OUT of the gun fight as possible and don't think I'll be trading shots with the BG.

Your greatest asset in an altercation is situational awareness and mindset.

I am going through the process of aqurring my CHL right now and am picking up a new handgun to go along with the liscence. I have been mulling over my caliber options available to me in the platform size that I will be able to conceal. My CC gun can not print AT ALL where I will work, so I am going with a P3AT or an LCP. I know .380 is sub-par, but I even the smallest of 9mm handguns are too large for the level of concealment.

My plan, buy the .380, get the best pocket holster I can find, carry a spare magazine, and practice, practice, practice with my carry gun in the configuration that I will be using most often. When dress allows, I have a .357 magnum that I competent with.

Hey m'kay, since you are in the area, you can try out my P3AT if you want.

Thanks for the offer. I think I am going to have to take you up on that. Send me a PM with possible dates. Between work and grad school I don't have too much free time, but I can usually squeeze in an hour or two most days of the week. Man, I can't wait to be done with grad school.

Sweetbeard,
I looked at many options in the small, concealable handgun field. I found many guns in 9mm and .40 that were seriously small, but none were small enough. Maybe a Rorbaugh, or however one spells it, but I'm just an overworked and underpaid grad student.

Thanks for the offer. I think I am going to have to take you up on that. Send me a PM with possible dates. Between work and grad school I don't have too much free time, but I can usually squeeze in an hour or two most days of the week. Man, I can't wait to be done with grad school.

Sweetbeard,
I looked at many options in the small, concealable handgun field. I found many guns in 9mm and .40 that were seriously small, but none were small enough. Maybe a Rorbaugh, or however one spells it, but I'm just an overworked and underpaid grad student.

Understood, I am also over worked and underpaid ( DAD ) :D

you should find a gun you can carry comftorably in your normal dress if you can't you will not have it when you need it. you should find a gun that you can shoot accurately and comftorably if you cant do that you will miss when you need it.you do not need a cannon people just aren't that hard to kill. Most criminals will leave the area at the sight of a gun they will not ask about its caliber.my carry is either a walther 32 or a cz82 in 9mm makarov i dearly love my 1911 but it is too big to carry when you are small framed.

I am going through the process of aqurring my CHL right now and am picking up a new handgun to go along with the liscence. I have been mulling over my caliber options available to me in the platform size that I will be able to conceal. My CC gun can not print AT ALL where I will work, so I am going with a P3AT or an LCP. I know .380 is sub-par, but I even the smallest of 9mm handguns are too large for the level of concealment.

My plan, buy the .380, get the best pocket holster I can find, carry a spare magazine, and practice, practice, practice with my carry gun in the configuration that I will be using most often. When dress allows, I have a .357 magnum that I competent with.
the 380 is all the gun you need if you can hit what you are shooting at.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top