JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I don't have a huge range of experience with different pistols, how would some of you more experienced folk recommend I choose my concealed carry weapon? Is there a place to try out different weapons, for a price, or do I have to buy before I try?

Is there a small pistol that is very similar to the M9 that I could easily transition to, that one of you guys would recommend? Or should I find a good pistol first, even if it is different, and then begin practicing with it?

Thanks for taking time to give advice to a newbie!

1. Find a range that rents firearms and try as many as you can. Since there are literally dozens of models/calibers to choose from, make it easy and start by just looking at .45, .40, and 9mm in a concealment size. (YOU will be the one to determine what constitutes "concealment size")

2. Through process of elimination, throw out any firearm that doesn't perform well in YOUR hands. Then throw out the ones that seem awkward or clumsy to YOU.

3. Consider the remaining choices in terms of Reliability, Accuracy, Simplicity, Durability. Remember, this is a self-defense weapon you're choosing. IT MUST WORK EVERY TIME YOU PULL IT and you must be able to operate it quickly and easily.

You will get different opinions from different people, but most will agree that XD and Glock are easily in the top five affordable/available defense pistols.

When you get your list narrowed down to about three choices, come back and post questions about them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top