JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm with PhysicsGuy, Most defensive shoots are at close range I prefer to carry guns that are small and comfortable, they must be natural pointers for me, as I may choose not to use the sights.

Yes, shot placement is the most important thing. That said, there must be a balance; we must be placing those shots with something that's going to do the job.

So to these questions I always have to say what I think are the best caliberS, with an s.

9X19mm
.38spl
.357mag
.40 These are all great.
.45ACP
.44spl
.357 Auto

To me, everything else is too powerful to control EFFECTIVELY, or not powerful enough to do the job, or at least do it well.

my EDC is my Kahr P9 in an MTAC.

Kahr_web2241.jpg
MTAC_web7.jpg

I feel plenty well-armed with this 9mm. if I don't have to be concerned with CC, like when hunting or out in the woods for whatever reason, I will usually pack my one of my 10s OWB.

OMG, you know it was conversations like this one that caused a guy to invent the 100 round drum magazine. You need to put yourself on the other side of the gun, if you point a gun at me, I don't care what it is, I am leaving. If you were to shoot me with that gun, I wouldn't be like, WOW! was that a .45 or a .40, I'd start bleeding and wish you hadn't shot me.

I never understood why people thought a round that fully penetrates a person does less damage than one that stays within the body. I understand why penetration and hitting an unintended target is bad. That being said, in respect to the effect on the target, it just makes sense to me that if a bullet fully penetrates, it causes more damage. More tissue damaged equals increased blood loss, etc. Other than possible damage from the person moving around and cutting internal tissues on the bullet, I can't see how a bullet exiting the body is less damaging to a person. All that being said, I use Magsafe loads... Its just a theoretical problem to me.:)

Now if I could only find those 10mm Plutonium rounds...

I agree with some of the first comments.
If your in a situation to need to shoot someone your going to be close enough Stevie Wonder could hit them. If your far enough away your afraid your going to miss. You should just run and not worry about spend the rest of your life in jail.
I carry a Glock 27 with clip extender for 10rds with a back up G22 15 round mag.
And if your shooting a .357 with hollow points I don't think think it would go through someone when it shreds.
I personally wouldn't mind carrying a .22 cal pistol for self defense. You could make fun but if you put that to someone's head and yank the trigger. I don't think they will laugh.
Maybe spurt, or gurgle.
Either way let's hope none of us has to ever find out.
Good luck, stay safe

I never understood why people thought a round that fully penetrates a person does less damage than one that stays within the body.

Rounds that are *designed* to stay in the body are more damaging in general because they mushroom into a large, sharp, spiky "flower" shape that tears up internal organs. A full metal jacket round generally retains its original size and shape and does much less tearing.

"Blood loss" with regard to a bullet wound isn't just coming from blood leaking out of the little hole it just made, it's also coming from internal damage which is maximized by a good modern hollow point.

The best defense caliber is the one in the gun that you actually want to carry and can shoot well. The worse is in the gun that you don't like carrying and leave at home.

Its all about shot placement. Most situations put you in at under 7 yards, and any caliber can disable at those distances, so it places the emphasis on your skills and the reliability of the firearm to dictate your survival, not the size of your round.

PLUS ONE on that!

I think it depends on your situation you are most likely to be in? For most civilians not expecting a serious long distance shoot-out, you are likely to need a handgun to simply defend yourself in or around your home at under 5 yards...
so it seems a .22LR that you can accurately hit someone 2 or 3 times with would do the job in most cases...although a shotgun would be BETTER...

I understand all of the suggestions about picking a weapon that I'm familiar with, that I can hit a target with, and that is small and comfortable to carry, but the pistol I used exclusively in the Navy was an M9 Beretta (9mm), which is a full sized pistol, not something I would really consider carrying concealed, unless I was wearing a lot of clothes.

Since I don't have a huge range of experience with different pistols, how would some of you more experienced folk recommend I choose my concealed carry weapon? Is there a place to try out different weapons, for a price, or do I have to buy before I try?

Is there a small pistol that is very similar to the M9 that I could easily transition to, that one of you guys would recommend? Or should I find a good pistol first, even if it is different, and then begin practicing with it?

Thanks for taking time to give advice to a newbie!

Well one can dream about that which is unavailable - can't they.
While ammo is another discussion - all together.

I think that for ultimate all round stopping power for a PDW CC (sort of) but over penetration might be a huge issue.

The round is about the size of 9mm but the new 6.5x25 from 5" Pistol barrel very high muzzle velocity 2,560 FPS YES 2,560 feet per sec. See the ballistic gel below 20 layers of Kevlar and Titanium.

sig2022cbj.jpg Most 9 mm Parabellum pistols and Submachine guns can be re-barrelled and used with the 6.5x25 CBJ ammunition.

Here you can see a SIG SAUER SP 2022
in 6.5x25 CBJ

A gel1.jpg

strip901.jpg

detaljer_namn.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR