Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best scope on a budget

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Scout67, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Scout67

Scout67 Milwaukie Member

I have a Ruger 10/22 and am considering buying a scope for it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on one but I don't want to buy a POS either. Any suggestions? Please post an approximate cost with make/model
    I am trying to stay under $100
    Thanks!

2. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Nikon Prostaff 4x $110

3. HKFooey

HKFooey SW Washington Active Member

I put a cheapo Tasco scope on my .22 Marlin Model 60 and it works just fine, I don’t even think I paid $40 for it. Tasco has a reputation for making cheap junk but the scope has lasted me 20 years and it still accurate out to about 60 yards. I wouldn't put a Tasco on a Sako hunting rifle but for a 10/22 it would be fine.

A good scope is spendy, usually the same price or more than the gun you are putting it on. If you are just going to goof around with it and won’t use it often, get a cheap scope. If you want to get serious with it and use it frequently, spend more money – you get what you pay for.

Your other option is to buy something used. SWFA has a nice bang-and-dent area where you can get good stuff pretty cheap. That’s where I got my ACOG. They said it was blemished but I couldn’t find a mark on it.

Good Luck

4. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

bsa sweet 3x9 40 have one on my marlin

5. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Mueller APV and there was a Millett that were both kinda the go to budget 22 scopes few years back iirc.

6. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

I second the Mueller APV, great scopes for the money.

7. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

BINGO! I have 3 nikon fixed 4x's I really like them. I use them a lot, they hold zero and I have never had an issue with one.

8. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Bimart has .22LR Nikon scopes for less than $100. That would be my choice :thumbup:

9. p24ff

p24ff oregon New Member

Hi Scout67. I just purchased a Cabela's brand scope in Eugene, caliber specifice to a 22 LR. Did great at the range and can't wait to use it on our trip in April. Cost was $99.00 but they will go on sale for $69.00 if you can wait. P24ff

10. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

11. alg

alg Edmonds WA Member

Redfield Revenge. If you shop around, you will find one for near your price range. I did. And put in our Ruger 10/22 take down. And now it's about to go on a new Tikka T3 .308. The Nikon 4x is a good option. But the Redfield 3-9x40 is much more versatile.

12. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

13. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

This one looks like a very good deal:
    Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope'
    It fits your budget and I have heard nothing but good things about Sightron scopes.
    As for the Vortex Crossfire, they run around $130 which is very close to what you would spend for a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9 which is also an excellent scope for a .22 rimfire. One thing to consider is the parallax setting on the scope you choose. The Sightron S-1, while a very good scope for the money probably has the parallax set for 100 or 150 yards, likewise with the Vortex Crossfire. The Nikon rimfire Prostaff scopes are set to parallax free at 50 yards and are more appropriate for .22 rimfire effective shooting range.

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

15. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Which is the exact reason I prefer a scope with Adjustable Objective. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but they are more useful when you might be shooting indoors where the range is shorter than 50 yards.

Like this one Amazon.com: Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO Matte Precision Reticle, Black: Sports & Outdoors

16. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

x
    That Nikon Prostaff rimfire EFR 3-9 is a really nice scope. They came out with it about 10 weeks AFTER I bought a new Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X without the adjustable objective. If I had known they were bringing out the EFR, I would have waited....
    I still think that Sightron S-1 is a very good deal for $80. It is parallax adjusted for 100 yards, though. Not really optimal for a .22 rimfire.

17. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Mueller APV no contest. Great glass for the money and adjustable objective down to 15 yards.

18. kukusya

kukusya King County Wa Active Member

You don't need big scope for 2, just get TruGlo ILLUMINATED TB TACTICAL XTREME 4x32 street price 75$

19. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Mueller APV hands down. I have two Mueller APT (an APV with a Mil Dot reticle) and a Mueller 4-16X 50 Mil dot on my Savage model 12 .243 My son has the Mueller 3-9X 40 and another APT on his Mossberg MVP .223 Varmint bolt action.

All the scopes are outstanding.

20. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter