JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger 10/22 and am considering buying a scope for it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on one but I don't want to buy a POS either. Any suggestions? Please post an approximate cost with make/model
I am trying to stay under $100
Thanks!

I have a Ruger 10/22 and am considering buying a scope for it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on one but I don't want to buy a POS either. Any suggestions? Please post an approximate cost with make/model
I am trying to stay under $100
Thanks!

I put a cheapo Tasco scope on my .22 Marlin Model 60 and it works just fine, I don't even think I paid $40 for it. Tasco has a reputation for making cheap junk but the scope has lasted me 20 years and it still accurate out to about 60 yards. I wouldn't put a Tasco on a Sako hunting rifle but for a 10/22 it would be fine.

A good scope is spendy, usually the same price or more than the gun you are putting it on. If you are just going to goof around with it and won't use it often, get a cheap scope. If you want to get serious with it and use it frequently, spend more money – you get what you pay for.

Your other option is to buy something used. SWFA has a nice bang-and-dent area where you can get good stuff pretty cheap. That's where I got my ACOG. They said it was blemished but I couldn't find a mark on it.

Good Luck

Hi Scout67. I just purchased a Cabela's brand scope in Eugene, caliber specifice to a 22 LR. Did great at the range and can't wait to use it on our trip in April. Cost was $99.00 but they will go on sale for $69.00 if you can wait. P24ff

Redfield Revenge. If you shop around, you will find one for near your price range. I did. And put in our Ruger 10/22 take down. And now it's about to go on a new Tikka T3 .308. The Nikon 4x is a good option. But the Redfield 3-9x40 is much more versatile.

This one looks like a very good deal:
<broken link removed> '
It fits your budget and I have heard nothing but good things about Sightron scopes.
As for the Vortex Crossfire, they run around $130 which is very close to what you would spend for a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9 which is also an excellent scope for a .22 rimfire. One thing to consider is the parallax setting on the scope you choose. The Sightron S-1, while a very good scope for the money probably has the parallax set for 100 or 150 yards, likewise with the Vortex Crossfire. The Nikon rimfire Prostaff scopes are set to parallax free at 50 yards and are more appropriate for .22 rimfire effective shooting range.

This one looks like a very good deal:
<broken link removed> '
It fits your budget and I have heard nothing but good things about Sightron scopes.
As for the Vortex Crossfire, they run around $130 which is very close to what you would spend for a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9 which is also an excellent scope for a .22 rimfire. One thing to consider is the parallax setting on the scope you choose. The Sightron S-1, while a very good scope for the money probably has the parallax set for 100 or 150 yards, likewise with the Vortex Crossfire. The Nikon rimfire Prostaff scopes are set to parallax free at 50 yards and are more appropriate for .22 rimfire effective shooting range.

Which is the exact reason I prefer a scope with Adjustable Objective. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but they are more useful when you might be shooting indoors where the range is shorter than 50 yards.

Like this one Amazon.com: Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO Matte Precision Reticle, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Which is the exact reason I prefer a scope with Adjustable Objective. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but they are more useful when you might be shooting indoors where the range is shorter than 50 yards.

Like this one Amazon.com: Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO Matte Precision Reticle, Black: Sports & Outdoors
x
That Nikon Prostaff rimfire EFR 3-9 is a really nice scope. They came out with it about 10 weeks AFTER I bought a new Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X without the adjustable objective. If I had known they were bringing out the EFR, I would have waited....
I still think that Sightron S-1 is a very good deal for $80. It is parallax adjusted for 100 yards, though. Not really optimal for a .22 rimfire.

Mueller APV hands down. I have two Mueller APT (an APV with a Mil Dot reticle) and a Mueller 4-16X 50 Mil dot on my Savage model 12 .243 My son has the Mueller 3-9X 40 and another APT on his Mossberg MVP .223 Varmint bolt action.

All the scopes are outstanding.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads