JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is the advantage to a scope mounted so far out?

1) With LPVO you can often keep both eyes open. This gives you a much better FOV. This makes for faster snap shots, especially on moving targets.

2) With rifles that eject out the top of the action, the scout scope position generally does not interfere with ejection.

3) With a bolt action, you are less likely to have the bolt interfere with the scope as the scope is not near the bolt handle.

The scout scope position changes the balance of the rifle. How much and whether this an advantage depends on the rifle and your preferences for balance.

1) With LPVO you can often keep both eyes open. This gives you a much better FOV. This makes for faster snap shots, especially on moving targets.

2) With rifles that eject out the top of the action, the scout scope position generally does not interfere with ejection.

3) With a bolt action, you are less likely to have the bolt interfere with the scope as the scope is not near the bolt handle.

The scout scope position changes the balance of the rifle. How much and whether this an advantage depends on the rifle and your preferences for balance.
Good to know, those are good points. I think if I wanted to optimize fastest sight acquisition I would go with a red dot optic which is increasing in popularity with lever guns for deer hunting. Im curious now, is the origin of the scout scope a military application?

I am a fan of the concept, and I have adopted (or will adopt) it for 4 of my 5 lever actions (undecided on the BL-22 I have), one Enfield bolt action and several semi-auto rifles. I also would like to adapt it to several rimfire rifles, but I have not yet.

I prefer short barreled (16-18") carbines that are handy with scout scopes (or something close, like the Meprolight M21 or the Leupold prismatic).

I put a Vortex 3-9x on mine.

1626805981737.png

Also, if a rifle is a take down model, the scout scope is mounted on the barrel. So it holds its aim when gun is taken down and reassembled.

Hi, can anyone recommend a good scope for the Marlin 1895 45-70 SBL? Any real-use cases that led to best practices? This is my first time stepping away from the AR platform and my first scope purchase. I've only purchased red dots before and my head starts to swim with all the info.. From what I've read, scout scopes seem to be the most popular given the relatively shorter range. Also, should I have it installed professionally? Or would my novice gun skills/tools and YouTube suffice? And last, how much is too much on scope rings? They seem to range in prices as wide as the scopes... Looking to spend under 1k and buy once if possible.. Appreciate any info!
I had a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope on my Gude Gun
It worked well. I used Warne QD rings and bases.

Scout rail with peep rear allows:
1. Peep sight
2. Burris Fast Fire or Leupold Delta
3. Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33mm Scout FireDot Duplex Scope (no longer made, but great scope)

Fits any need for a 45-70