JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hunted the coast range last year for elk..I was lucky enough to have a place to hunt on a damage tag off and on about 10 days over 3 months. Why is this important? Because I hunted in everything from hot sun to a winter storm that was blowing down trees and raining sideways. I learned that my past experience in Eastern Oregon is worthless. Under the trees, fog and rain at dawn and dark, light is hard to come by. I never saw a shooting lane over 100 yards and most were more 25 and 50 yards.
Here's the question. What is the best scope and power to use. I had a Nikon Monarch 4-16 on. I worked great for my dear in E. Oregon, but even on 4x it seemed marginal. What do you guys recommend for a 62 year old that has to wear glasses? I really can't afford a $1000 scope. Thanks

I have a 2-7x40 Baush and Loumb (I probably spelled that wrong) and a 4x Leupold. Both have worked well for me. If it gets to thick and wet, I just go with open sights. I can still see them, and I only need to worry about my glasses fogging up and not my glass.
I know many folks who swear by the Leupold 3-9x40 scopes also.

I have a 2-7x40 Baush and Loumb (I probably spelled that wrong) and a 4x Leupold. Both have worked well for me. If it gets to thick and wet, I just go with open sights. I can still see them, and I only need to worry about my glasses fogging up and not my glass.
I know many folks who swear by the Leupold 3-9x40 scopes also.

If your max range is 100 yds----iron sights. If you are having trouble
seeing irons with your old eyes, try a peep rear. Don't go small on the peep,
what they call a "ghost ring" rear sight is plenty good for minute-of-elk
at <100 yrs.

If you just have to have a scope, look at some of the glass the AR guys are
running. True 1x-4x, illuminated reticle or dot. I've got a little Weaver
1x-3x on my AR truck gun, works fine out to 200+. If you want to go
cheap, look at the various offerings labeled as "shotgun" scopes. Don't go
too cheap---it can get pretty darned dim in the woods, and good glass is
well worth the investment if you get that early morning/late evening/
really deep woods shot.

My favorite scope setup for hunting is a Scout Scope.

ruger_frontier_rifle.jpg

I get a low power variable handgun scope. You definitely need a scope with long eye relief for this kind of setup and handgun scopes have the longest and most forgiving eye relief.

Right now I have a Burris 2x7 handgun scope, but I would go 1 or 1.5 as the lowest power if I could find one - nobody seems to make them that low power, they do for rifle scopes.

The nice thing about the Scout Scope setup is you can keep both eyes open, there is fast target acquisition, you can move the rifle around and pickup your target. The low power helps, and if you do get a long shot you can dial up the power.

Not all people like the Scout Scope placement, but I am a real believer. That said, if you decide for a conventional placement of the scope, I would at least recommend a low power variable. A number of manufacturers sell 1x6 or 1.5x6 or 1x4 or 1.5x4 for rifles and you can easily find a lot of 2x7 and 2x8 scopes out there too.

Go for the largest tube diameter and objective lens you can afford too - you need as much light gathering as you can get in the dark woods.

I've banged around in the PNW woods for decades and haven't had any problems with internal fogging, only with mist on the scope. External fogging of a scope or any optics generally happens when the optic surface is much warmer than the ambient temp and there is moisture in the air, such as when moving from a warm vehicle out into the cool weather.

+1 for a scout scope

I have a ruger gunsite scout rifle and mounted a 2.5x30 Leupold.

It's insanely fast to aquire a target and you can keep both eyes open while sighting and firing.

The model I mounted was this one:
FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm

I bought it from amazon for $299 and its their gold series so it has lifetime replacement on it.

Use an artificial light for hunting any
wildlife, except raccoon, bobcat and
opos sum provided the light is not cast
from or attached to a motor vehicle.
This includes <broken link removed> or any other
sights which project a beam to the target.
This does not include battery operated
sights which only light the reticle.

I had a Leopold 1.5x5 on a rifle tell I had a bull elk at 50yrds and could not see him through the scope,sold that scope and bought a Nikon 1.5x6x42 great scope for dark timber and fast shots.
Also just bought a Steiner 3x12x56 that shows alot of promise.

My 2x7 Burris has served me well for many years. I've had one compact on a lightweight mountain rifle and a Fullfield, which is a full size.
When the brush gets thick, the power ring gets adjusted down to 2. Come over the ridge to find a clearcut? The power goes back up to six to sit and scope the hillside.

The coast range is in my back yard, I do not hunt here without a leupold Scope.

There are many reasons for that, you wouldn't believe the abuse I have put my Leupold through! Getting warranty work a week before hunting season starts is nice! (only had to do that once but it saved me from buying a scope)

I would get a Leupold 3x9x50 if you cant swing that much money I also would recommend the Redfield 3x9x50 (warranted by Leupold)

I also use the butler creek scope covers, Keeps your lenses dry until your ready to shoot. Just remember to open them once your back in the rig or fogging will occur.

Scout scope > all at closer ranges :)

I can aim mine and keep both eyes open... Left eye sees the entire picture, right eye sees the picture thru the scope.

Hard to go wrong unless your shooting over 250 meters.

FWIW, I used a Redfield (before Leupold bought them out) for over 30 years in Pacific NorthWet weather with no problems whatsoever. Bought it for $125 at JC Penny about 40 years ago. Gave it to a friend - should have kept it, but it was glossy and I pretty much mandate a matte finish on every thing now.

My Burris pistol scope used mostly as a Scout scope, has had some abuse too - banged around climbing hills and such on elk hunting trips. Worked fine - still works fine.

I think most name brand scopes today are fairly sturdy and robust.

Always have had good luck with Tasco World Class and Bushnell Banners. Even have an older Bushnell Stalker that is a wide angle. None of them have ever failed me and they won't empty your wallet.

Nikon 1x4x20 Dangerous Game scope with the German #4 reticle under $300. If you read the reviews they compare it to the Zeiss and other high end scopes . I have one on a 338 and works great the area we hunt you have a 30-40 yards of open lane tops . I still can hit targets out to 300 yards with it no problem at all and has a ton of eye relief .Here are a few pictures of the set up. 268.JPG 267.JPG 269.JPG

268.JPG

267.JPG

269.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR