Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best scope for AR15 for a decent price?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by glockguy, Sep 1, 2013.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

So Im building an AR15 and am wanting to put a decent scope on it. Iv looked into the Nikon M223 and the Redfield Battle Zone, but was curious what others thought. Not looking to spend more then 200 or so.

2. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

Does the $200 include mount or rings? What range are you going to be shooting at? What are you going to be shooting at? Where are you going to be shooting at?

3. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

no i know the mounts are usually $100 or so, I'm just target shooting, no hunting, maybe 100-200 yards?

4. jakk586

Actually a one piece mount can be $100+. But for target shooting, you could get by with some standard rings and save some money for a better scope. At that range a good old fashioned 3-9 in a 1" tube and 40mm objective will do nicely. Keep an eye out on the used market for a Leupold VX-II or VX-2. At that range dohickies like adjustable objectives and target turrets add nothing but complexity, expense, and weight. Another good option is the Burris line. Around $2-250.

5. jakk586

Here:

Weaver 1 Grand Slam Rings Lever Lock Matte Extra High

Burris Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Ballistic Plex E1 Reticle

Real nice Burris with the new E2 Plex reticle and a set of extra high rings for under $300.

I don't dislike the scope you mentioned, but I think they use shortcuts in scope quality to hit a certain price point. They are marketed at a specific crowd that look for certain features. like target turrets and large objectives. I think a plain Jane scope at a similar price point will have better glass and better construction. I'll take that over tactical whenever I can.

6. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Take a look at Vortex scopes. They're in your price range and they have a lifetime warranty, which I can attest that they honor, no questions asked.

skydiver and (deleted member) like this.
  7. 68fastback

68fastback Linn County OR Active Member

+1 on Vortex. Very nice quality and transferable lifetime warranty.

For $199, I just put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 on my AR, mounted on an AeroPrecision ultralight 1" one-piece scope mount for $85. Check them out, they only weigh 2.98oz.:thumbup:

8. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Talk to Dan Dee Sales they are members here. They are a Vortex dealer. Highly recommended!!

9. akmewon

akmewon clackamas Active Member

10. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I've been using the new Redfield for a few months now and am very impressed! It comes with 5.56 turrets and 7.62 !

11. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

12. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I've been considering a Mueller scope, price is right and has pretty good reviews. maybe a fixed power 4 or 6. Other than that a Leupold M8 fixed power scope can be had for around 200

13. Larrythecableguy

Larrythecableguy Vancouver, wa Member

14. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

I like my Redfield Revolution. I have the 3-9x40, riding on a Nikon M-223 mount. Got the mount for $70. I'm in it over $300 for that combo though. If I had to go cheaper, I'd consider the Redfield Revenge. Weaver has some decent stuff in the $150 range. I like my M-223 mount. You can get a similar mount from Burris - their PEPR - which can be found even at WalMart for $65-70.

15. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

16. akmewon

akmewon clackamas Active Member

if i am not mistaken vortex optics are also made in Philippines ...