JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i picked up a Ruger 10/22 a couple days back because thats what i grew up shooting, its cheap to go out & plink around with & a great teaching gun for my girlfriend, who doesnt have much experience with shooting....Anyways I want to put a sling on it, I have been looking around the net & have found a few different sites that are saying i will have to drill into the stock, is this true or??? can anyone point me towards some good sling options? any help is super appreciated, thanx NWF, love this site....CLEAN UP UR SHOTGUN SHELLS SO I DONT HAVE TO PEOPLE, THATS HOW PLACES GET SHUT DOWN!! HATE seein that crap! I have cleaned up the spots out behind Hagg Lake a couple times, looked like the people just pulled over, blasted off 200 rounds & left.....B.S.

Um...ok, I'm not really sure what's up with the 1st reply...but I am also looking into sling options for a Ruger 10/22 and would appreciate any input. A quick Google search leads me to believe the following -- please correct me where I'm wrong :)
  • Front point can be attached by swapping out the barrel-band or somehow attaching to it
  • Rear point requires drilling into the stock
The OP didn't mention if his stock was wood or synthetic. I have the synthetic stock...is drilling the hollow synthetic stock problematic? I was looking at <broken link removed> on Cabela's site. They have a Ruger-specific model which seems to come with the proper barrel-band mount.

This is just my plinker, so I'm not interested in anything fancy, but if anyone has a favorite sling and/or mounting hardware, I'm interested in knowing. Probably just something nylon or polyester.

PS, sorry for highjacking the thread. I was going to start a new thread, but...heh, this was my exact question

Yeah, WTF otterpop123? Sugar overdose?

Anyway, slings on a 10/22. You can drill the stocks. Wood and synthetic. The best and cheapest way to get a sling on the stock of a stock 10/22 is to buy some swivel studs (Uncle Mikes are nice, but the others are probably fine too), then drill holes smaller than the swivel studs and screw the little nubs in tight. You could probably use a thread-locker on the stud threads like loc-tite, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Sure, you could replace the barrel band with an aftermarket version that has a swivel stud, but then you still need a stud on the butt stock and you just spent $25 for the front.

Buy the swivels, drill pilot holes and screw the studs in, or buy an aftermarket stock - there are only about 1,000 to choose from.

See this for a little more info on Uncle Mikes swivel studs. There may be a difference in what you need depending on the flavor of synthetic stock you have (solid or hollow).

Um...ok, I'm not really sure what's up with the 1st reply...but I am also looking into sling options for a Ruger 10/22 and would appreciate any input. A quick Google search leads me to believe the following -- please correct me where I'm wrong :)
  • Front point can be attached by swapping out the barrel-band or somehow attaching to it
  • Rear point requires drilling into the stock
The OP didn't mention if his stock was wood or synthetic. I have the synthetic stock...is drilling the hollow synthetic stock problematic? I was looking at <broken link removed> on Cabela's site. They have a Ruger-specific model which seems to come with the proper barrel-band mount.

This is just my plinker, so I'm not interested in anything fancy, but if anyone has a favorite sling and/or mounting hardware, I'm interested in knowing. Probably just something nylon or polyester.

PS, sorry for highjacking the thread. I was going to start a new thread, but...heh, this was my exact question

The Uncle Mikes sling-swivel kit for the 10/22 works quite well, and it's really pretty easy to install. Two issues come to mind...On some barrel bands, a little work with a file might be in order, to allow room for the little stud-insert, and allow for tightening of the band. And, with a little finesse, drilling even a plastic stock for a swivel stud is pretty easy. Although I don't think it would be absolutely necessary, I did put a little Gorilla Glue on the swivel stud, to act as a lubricant so the plastic doesn't split, and to anchor the stud to the stock, permanently.

GEDC0792.jpg
GEDC0790.jpg
GEDC0789.jpg

WAYNO.

Thanks guys. This is a new hobby for me and the pictures help a lot. Now I'm itching to get those installed! (Uh oh, I feel an addiction setting in) :)

Haha, yes very addicting.... Also, I have the wood stock....Thank you for the replies C&H & Wayno, good info....looks like we'll be doing a little drilling then!

Haha, yes very addicting.... Also, I have the wood stock....Thank you for the replies C&H & Wayno, good info....looks like we'll be doing a little drilling then!

It's probably obvious, but always remember to select drill bits wisely. It's better to err on the side of a hole that's too small. You can always drill again with a larger bit, but undrilling a hole that's too large; say goodbye to the rest of your afternoon!

Not that I've ever done that on numerous 'round-the-house projects... Not me! :s0131::s0114:

And watch out with the 10/22 rifles. If you aren't careful you're going to bankrupt yourself one $9.95 part at a time :s0155:

It's probably obvious, but always remember to select drill bits wisely. It's better to err on the side of a hole that's too small. You can always drill again with a larger bit, but undrilling a hole that's too large; say goodbye to the rest of your afternoon!

Not that I've ever done that on numerous 'round-the-house projects... Not me! :s0131::s0114:

And watch out with the 10/22 rifles. If you aren't careful you're going to bankrupt yourself one $9.95 part at a time :s0155:

haha yea i hear ya, measure twice cut once! and yea, TONS of parts for these lil plinkers

Even as the 10/22 isn't a heavy rifle, I found switching from a 1" nylon sling to a 1-1/4" USGI type made it more comfortable to carry on my shoulder and served as a better shooting aid.

Luckily as I used Uncle mike's swivels and studs, it's is a piece of cake to swap between slings to make these kinds of comparisons.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top