JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As you can see, the subject is subjective.
Let me pose an unmentioned alternative.
I just had a fine meal of cow elk provided by my friend using possibly the best brush gun available using a ten million five hundred thousand grain slug in the form of his mother in-law's Prius with iron sights. Since the officer found it unlikely premeditated, he was allowed to keep the meat sans license and tag. Still drivable, he stuffed 200 pounds of meat in the Prius and drove off.
Granted the ballistic coefficient of a Prius may suck but there is no denying the massive kinetic energy developed.

I just had a fine meal of cow elk provided by my friend using possibly the best brush gun available using a ten million five hundred thousand grain slug in the form of his mother in-law's Prius with iron sights. Since the officer found it unlikely premeditated, he was allowed to keep the meat sans license and tag. Still drivable, he stuffed 200 pounds of meat in the Prius and drove off.
Granted the ballistic coefficient of a Prius may suck but there is no denying the massive

Was there good.expansion?

Granted the ballistic coefficient of a Prius may suck but there is no denying the massive kinetic energy developed.
And I still hate those cars... ;)

When I was in the fire department we had a call where a guy used a GMC pickup and got 4 elk in one shot. Drove the truck a half mile after too. Game warden allowed any responders with unused elk tags to take an animal. It was late in the year and most seasons closed but those that got the elk were suprised at how little was damaged.

Something 25-28 Cal in a non magnum is perfect for Blacktail Any thing under 25 in my experiance just doesnt cut it all the time and anything over 7mm is over kill.. Unless you like lots of bloodshot. Im a big 6.5x55 Fan Most meat ive lost on the last 5 deer killed would fit in the palm of my hand.

Something 25-28 Cal in a non magnum is perfect for Blacktail Any thing under 25 in my experiance just doesnt cut it all the time and anything over 7mm is over kill.. Unless you like lots of bloodshot. Im a big 6.5x55 Fan Most meat ive lost on the last 5 deer killed would fit in the palm of my hand.

For Western WA, anything followed by Mag is overkill;)

Id say yes and now. Bigger and slow damages very little meat. I found a 270 with 130gr bullets at 3100 makes more of a mess than a 338 win mag with 250gr bullets going 2700. I think its more of a matter of impact velocity and bullet construction.

For Western WA, anything followed by Mag is overkill;)
Lol. I find it interesting that the fella queried of small deer within 100 yards and then it evolved to elk at 400. "yeabut!". lol.
Yea I guess my recommendation of a peep sighted .44 Magnum carbine might seem exotic or something.. for rabbit size deer under 100 yards. But I assure you, many a man has felled moose with a 4" .44 revolver.. without ever recovering the Keith slug, though it went from nose to tail.

I had a 7 mm Rem mag back in the day (mid 70s) and the ammo wasn't appropriate for deer. I think Remington just took the 7x57 projectile and loaded it in the 7 mag cartridge and called it good. It blew up and destroyed a lot of meat.

I am sure you can find better loads today 40 years later, but I think it is overkill for western Oregon deer, unless you are shooting at distances 300 yards and greater. IMO

I had a 7 mm Rem mag back in the day (mid 70s) and the ammo wasn't appropriate for deer. I think Remington just took the 7x57 projectile and loaded it in the 7 mag cartridge and called it good. It blew up and destroyed a lot of meat.

I am sure you can find better loads today 40 years later, but I think it is overkill for western Oregon deer, unless you are shooting at distances 300 yards and greater. IMO

I agree the wound can be significant, but the good thing is they drop where their hit. I cant see getting to far a distances in the brush around here. Good point Hertic.

clearcuts are everywhere in western Oregon, plenty of opportunity for long shots.

the 7mm Mag is a good overall round but ill agree its overkill for deer. The round excels at delivering adequate penetration on larger game like elk at longer distances, generally not a problem with deer at any distance....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top