JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So looking for a nice bolt action rimfire, had my heart set on a CZ 457 Varmint, but now feel a need to create a short list. Looking at both the Ruger Precision Rimfire and the Ruger American Long Range Target. This will be primarily a range toy, a cheaper alternative to shooting my center fire rifles. My current fixation is long range shooting, so something capable at longer than usual rimfire ranges is high on the list. Want to stay with .22 LR, no real need or desire for a .17. Not stuck on anything yet, but my issue is not being able to actually handle anything before buying. I live in the boonies, so this is normal for me, but it has been exacerbated by Covid. Anyway, happy to hear other suggestions, your general impressions, and your reasons for choosing X over Y. Thanks!

Dave

Sorry, folks, I just realized this is in the wrong forum, and that it's pretty much a duplicate of the first post in the rimfire forum :oops:. Mods, remove or delete as you see fit, thanks.

Last Edited:
RPR and the standard RAR are good selections.

The ones I have shoot sub MOA with match/quality ammo at 50y.
Just this las weekend I dialed one in at 200y hitting 2" steel using CCI standards & SK Rifle Match ammo.

I tried to buy and am still watching for this:

1615999178730.png

But it's hard to find so far. The Christensen bolt looks good too. I like the idea of using Ruger's ubiquitous rotary rimfire magazines.

I would highly recommend doing some research on the tikka t1x. I have one and it shoots right neck and neck with my Bergara b14r. Only gripe I have is the stock isn't amazing, but their quality control of barrels seems awesome, I haven't seen any complaints about accuracy.From the research I've done in that price range I think your first the cz 457 and the tikka are right up there.

I wanted something to reach out a little farther than my Ruger American Rimfire with iron sights (yes, it's staying scopeless) so after a lot of researching, took the plunge on a CZ 457 Pro Varmint. Comes with a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, of course, and a short 16" threaded heavy barrel. Supposedly the short, thick barrel keeps it stiffer and improves accuracy. With an Athlon 6-24x50mm scope (with sunshade), this thing is a tank. I also have the Area419 15 MOA base (with Vortex rings). Overall, the rifle is short and HEAVY, so it should be a good bench shooter. I haven't been out shooting since I finished it, but I have fairly decent expectations based on everything I've read. I also hear great things about the Tikka, but I haven't handled one.

CZ_457_Pro_Varmint_Argos_BTR_G2_2020-03-21.jpg

So looking for a nice bolt action rimfire, had my heart set on a CZ 457 Varmint, but now feel a need to create a short list. Looking at both the Ruger Precision Rimfire and the Ruger American Long Range Target. This will be primarily a range toy, a cheaper alternative to shooting my center fire rifles. My current fixation is long range shooting, so something capable at longer than usual rimfire ranges is high on the list. Want to stay with .22 LR, no real need or desire for a .17. Not stuck on anything yet, but my issue is not being able to actually handle anything before buying. I live in the boonies, so this is normal for me, but it has been exacerbated by Covid. Anyway, happy to hear other suggestions, your general impressions, and your reasons for choosing X over Y. Thanks!

Dave

Sorry, folks, I just realized this is in the wrong forum, and that it's pretty much a duplicate of the first post in the rimfire forum :oops:. Mods, remove or delete as you see fit, thanks.
Dave,
Go to Rimfirecentral.com.
All of your questions will be answered there by people that own and shoot the guns you may be interested in. The folks on RFC, are one of the best sources of rimfire guns and ammo that you will find.
Best,
Gary

The scope on my Savage FVT is a Mueller 4.5-14X AO with mil dot retical on a DIP mount rail. The target sights are what comes with the rifle and they are Williams

What would you guys choose between a Ruger Precision RImfire or the American RImfire I posted above?

Depends on the ranges you're shooting and your needs. Despite the CZ above, I rarely shoot long distance and usually not scoped. I think the RPR and the RAR will both be great at 50 yards with an edge to the RPR. However, with my RAR, even with peep sights, I have no problems. A typical target for me are clay pigeons on an embankment. Once broken, with the RAR I just keep shooting the pieces until they get smaller and smaller. No issues being able to get them. The CZ came because I picked up a Know Your Limits target and the two smallest ones were a challenge to hit consistently with iron sights (.5" and .25" hangers). For that kind of shooting, I thing the RPR would give you a slight advantage while still being able to use the BX-1 magazines. But unless you are getting that precise, I think the RAR is a great all around rifle. Mine is stainless with a synthetic stock and a rubber sling so weather isn't a big issue and it's about as simple as simple gets. I throw on my suppressor and it's quieter than shooting a pellet gun. Seriously, except for want of a tiny bit more accuracy, I wouldn't have looked anywhere else.

If you aren't familiar with the Know Your Limits style targets, set this up at 50 yards (or 100 yards if you like a serious challenge) and work from biggest to smallest without missing. Sizes are 2"/1.75"/1.5"/1.25"/1"/.75"/.5"/.25".
kyl-know-your-limits-shootingtargets7.jpg

This is the RAR I got and then I had a local smith mount my supplied Tech Sights on it. The whole setup is super basic and reliable. Not much to mess up or go wrong.
8351.jpg

Last Edited:
I think the RPR and the RAR will both be great at 50 yards with an edge to the RPR.
My assumption is that they are essentially the same rifle with different stocks:

1615999178730-png.844453

1616091984640.png

I like the looks of the top one, but the RPR is less money and more available, so if they are essentially the same ....

But if not I'd like to know. The LRR version has a 22" bbl vs 18" for the RPR but other than that I dunno.

I don't know if they cut the chamber any different on the RPR or what other advantages it has. My RAR also has the 18" heavier "target" barrel and it's been great. The adjustability of the RPR stock probably helps squeeze the last little bit of performance out of it, but I prefer simpler stocks personally. Frankly, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Now, if you're shooting NRL22 at 200+ yards, you probably want to look at some of the other suggestions above. Like most things, that last little 5% performance is where the money and fine tuning really starts to matter more.

This is the RAR I got and then I had a local smith mount my supplied Tech Sights on it. The whole setup is super basic and reliable. Not much to mess up or go wrong.
794645-3a579b7d74e3a5388eada79e5c37f0cb.jpg
This one has a nice Leupold on it in my safe. Hits steel out to 200 when I had a nicer optic on it. Probably my favorite and at $330 when I bought it, I couldn't go wrong even with a $150 optic on top.

794645-3a579b7d74e3a5388eada79e5c37f0cb.jpg
That's mighty purty.

I looked at the green stocked one similar to this for $339 not long back - liked it, and liked that for the money I'd get selling my unfired Ruger Precision in 308 I could get one each in 17HMR, 22LR, and 22WMR. Possible one scope too, before I have to resort to spending fresh money ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top