JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your darn tootin the .270 swings both ways. It is the swing rifle in my 3 rifle hunting battery. It backs up my deer and my elk rifle admirably and has accounted for many head of both.

Why all the 270 malice pharm? It has a long standing history of taking all kinds of big game and performs better today with the now available powders and projectiles. 7mm-08 is a great round also but hardly eclipses the venerable .270. Remember it is the rifleman not the rifle that makes most of the difference.

IMO the 270 is no backup its a true deer and elk caliber its a true deer and elk slayer and probable one of the top 3 "one gun" big game hunting calibers.
Im, mostly, a one gun hunter for deer and elk but if I had to do it over again I would have got the 270.

I guess you're watching a different video than mine. The rifle barely moves and is nothing like a .30-06. The Norwegians and Swedes, even the Finns, have been using this calibre since 1895, as I noted, and have untold success with it. I used it as a biathlon rifle, and never once got knocked on my butt by the recoil.

But don't let's argue.

The figures say - with an 8 pound rifle -

.30-06 - 17.81 ft lbs.

6.5x55SE - 14.9 ft lbs

However, you have your opinion based on your experience, and I have my opinion, based on my experience - that's why the gunmakers will never go out of business.
I was responding to the .270. The whole "based on the 30-06 case" should have been a dead giveaway.

P

I guess you're watching a different video than mine. The rifle barely moves and is nothing like a .30-06. The Norwegians and Swedes, even the Finns, have been using this calibre since 1895, as I noted, and have untold success with it. I used it as a biathlon rifle, and never once got knocked on my butt by the recoil.

But don't let's argue.

The figures say - with an 8 pound rifle -

.30-06 - 17.81 ft lbs.

6.5x55SE - 14.9 ft lbs

However, you have your opinion based on your experience, and I have my opinion, based on my experience - that's why the gunmakers will never go out of business.
Think he is talking about the .270, Tac.

If the 280 had come out before the 270 and been released in a Rem 700 boltie instead of that atrocious auto loader, the 270 would probably be in the shoes the 280 is in now. The hunting/gun buying community is a fickle bunch. Also If Tikka would have offered a 280 rem when I bought my Tikka 270 win, I would have chosen the 280 hands down.

I don't own a 280 but I'm a big fan. Loaded hot it approaches the 7 Rem Mag, loaded mild it's a 7mm-08.

Both of which cartridges I own, and since Tikka doesn't make a 280 (as stated above) I'm happy with what I have.

M Bork Bork Bork!

I want to start hunting deer and elk. I want to buy a hunting rifle, but not sure which caliber to choose. For Elk hunting, any opinions about 6.5 Creedmoor vs. .300 Winchester vs. .30-06? Will any of these do for Elk in terms of ballistics and being able to kill with one shot (with proper bullet placement of course)?

For deer hunting, my impression based on what I've read so far is that the three above will also work for deer, but some people use .223. However, my impression is that .223 is best used by a highly skilled marksman at shorter distances to avoid only wounding the deer. I did come across a type of .223 round that is made specifically for deer hunting (Winchester 223 Remington 64 gr Extreme Point Deer Season XP) that is supposed to match the performance of heavier bullets, but not sure if even this kind of round is best used by someone with lots of experience to avoid simply wounding. Curious if anyone has experience with this particular Winchester ammo.

Any guidance is appreciated!
There are several sides to this question, so I will address them one at a time.
1. Ability to withstand recoil. If a little recoil worries you them stay away from the magnums and that means all magnums, and if you do decide to try a magnum, the other things listed still apply.
2. Bullet weight and construction. Bullets that may work well for deer can be totally inadequate for elk. For elk you need a bullet that will penetrate deep and hang together if it hits bone. I firmly believe that in non magnum calibers that means at least a 175gr. bullet and preferably a premium bullet such as Nozler partition or Barnes triple shock or the Swift A-Frame.
3. Available ammo. This means not just ammo for hunting but also ammo for practice, practice, and more practice. No bullet and no caliber will get the job done in a humane fashion unless the shooter does his part with shot placement and this takes practice. This "available ammo" requirement has become very important in todays market a ammo has become very difficult to come by.

In summary, I would personally choose one of three. 7-08, 308 win. or 30-06 All would work well on both deer and elk, but I would lean more towards the latter two as the more effective on elk with their range of heavier bullets. Yes, there are others that would get the job done, such as the 280 Rem. or the 7 or 8mm mausers but at this time ammo (suitable for hunting) is very difficult to come by for any of these

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top