JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shoot a 300 win mag and then a 300 weatherby mag and you'll feel the difference.
I have and I would be hard pressed to tell a difference in a blind recoil test. Chuck Hawks has a great chart on recoil energy and velocity for most rifle calibers. I have also fired the 300 Ultra Mag in a Remington 700 and thought it recoiled less than the 300 win mag and weatherby mag.

Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil Table: https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Stock design plays a huge role in felt recoil.

My brother had a Remington 721 in .270 that I refused to shoot. Hand me my 300 Wby Mag instead, please.
Totally agree. The most painful rifle I have ever shot was a Remington 7400 in 30.06. I don't know if it was the stock design, action or 20" barrel but it was brutal and this is coming from a guy who enjoys shooting a 375H&H.

For a short time I had a 300 Win Mag version of my 30-06. Same stainless Ruger 77 MII, same Hogue stock. The 300 was a bit heavier because of the barrel profile. Personally, I couldn't tell the difference in recoil. The 375 Ruger was a notable difference, but it still wasn't bad. Swap it into a Hogue and it was much more tolerable.
Take this input from a guy that used to shoot a Browning B78 in 45-70 with the crescent steel buttplate. 400 grains at a little over 2000 fps convinced my friends to not shoot a second round. Nobody wanted to try the 500 grainers. :rolleyes:
Stock design and recoil pad make a huge difference in what the shooter feels. My Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 (with a crusty, hard recoil pad) was downright painful. Swap the stock to a Winchester Monte Carlo style with the steel buttplate and it's acceptable.
I've got a fair amount of experience. My grandson is 11. Big kid for 11. As far as centerfires go, I started him on a .243. His mom got him involved in trap shooting and he shoots a 12 gauge. Most nights we shoot 50 rounds, some 75. No biggie. But he wants to shoot the Winchester 94 I bought for him. I'm going to be loading up some 110gr bullets to start with, because the 94 stock design and plastic buttplate isn't the most comfortable.
The key is to make it comfortable to the shooter so they can get used to the gun. If it hurts they won't want to shoot.

To give a real answer I have lots of different guns for specific needs.

cow elk or bull elk. Rocky Mountain open canyons or Roosevelt. Shooting cross canyon or thick woods. 500 yards or less than 200 yards.
doe or a mature Buck. Open country whitetail or hilly mulie. Or hunting the non eatable blacktail in thick crap. Sure you could do it with one but why. Do you use the same boots for all those hunts in snow and heat? Do you only own one vehicle? I believe in caliber specific guns for different hunts.
I am like you with this but there is a lot of expense with multi rifles, cost, and availability of or ammo, cost of optics, bigger safe. We see 30.06 come up a lot because it's probably the best all-around multi-purpose rifle for Oregon hunting. Moderate recoil for the average guy, does well with 150-180 grain bullets even out to 200 grain. I have found that 180 is a good all-around bullet weight

Also depending on how often a person can afford or get out and shoot sometimes, it's just better to have one or two rifles. You get more used to it and how it feels and you are more aware of the bullet dropage and what your rifle will do so your brain scrambles less in those moments when seconds matter.

I remember having a discussion with a friend who only owns 1 rifle. He spoke about how he trains with this one and only needs one cause if he had to grab one in a hurry he does not have to think as much so he is able to react faster he knows it will be reliable and ready he knows exactly where the bullet is going to hit at different ranges. I kind of felt like the guy from "Spinal Tap" saying "but this goes to 11"

Last Edited:
I am like you with this but there is a lot of expense with multi rifles, cost, and availability of or ammo, cost of optics, bigger safe. We see 30.06 come up a lot because it's probably the best all-around multi-purpose rifle for Oregon hunting. Moderate recoil for the average guy good does well with 150-180 grain bullets even out to 200 grain. I have found that 180 works great for Eastern deer as most of my eastern deer were taken with a 180 grain out of a 30.06.

Also depending on how ofter a person can afford or get out and shoot sometimes its just better to have one all-around rifle. You get more used to it you are more aware of the dropped so your brain scrambles less in those moments when seconds matter trying to calculate droppage from a 300wm vs a 6.8spc.

I remember having a discussion with a friend who only owns 1 rifle and he spoke about how he trains with this one and only needs one cause if he had to grab one in a hurry he does not have to think as much so he is able to react faster. I kind of felt like the guy from "Spinal Tap" saying "but this goes to 11"
A 150gr at 3000fps is pretty amazing for an old cartridge like 30-06 when you think about it.
Drops deer like they got hit by a train.

If I could only have one rifle for all lower 48 game, it would be a 280 ai with 160 partitions. A close second would be 270 win with 140 accubonds.

It approaches 7mm Rem Mag velocities only with less powder and less recoil.
It's a beautiful round with the 40º shoulder and straight case, kinda like lookin' at a bird dog and knowing he'll hunt.
Also easier on barrels, though that's not as much as issue in a hunting rifle. The 280 AI is a design masterpiece.

I am like you with this but there is a lot of expense with multi rifles, cost, and availability of or ammo, cost of optics, bigger safe. We see 30.06 come up a lot because it's probably the best all-around multi-purpose rifle for Oregon hunting. Moderate recoil for the average guy, does well with 150-180 grain bullets even out to 200 grain. I have found that 180 is a good all-around bullet weight

Also depending on how often a person can afford or get out and shoot sometimes, it's just better to have one or two rifles. You get more used to it and how it feels and you are more aware of the bullet dropage and what your rifle will do so your brain scrambles less in those moments when seconds matter.

I remember having a discussion with a friend who only owns 1 rifle. He spoke about how he trains with this one and only needs one cause if he had to grab one in a hurry he does not have to think as much so he is able to react faster he knows it will be reliable and ready he knows exactly where the bullet is going to hit at different ranges. I kind of felt like the guy from "Spinal Tap" saying "but this goes to 11"
Fair. So it I could have just one.... Used to say a 30-06, but then I started using my 300Wm for everything Then I got my 270WSm and it was my go to.

But If I had to choose one gun for NA. Its the .28 Nosler. It smokes everything. Except my 30 Nosler, but see there i go again.

Within 50 fps or so anyways. My 160 gr handloads for the 280ai leave the barrel at 2950fps. Probably could stoke it a bit hotter but this load seems to be in the sweet spot.
Is there an advantage, then, to the 280 AI over the seven mag, other than saying "280 AI," which sounds cooler?

Edit to say, I didn't read the earlier posts.

How much less powder for similar velocities?

Is there an advantage, then, to the 280 AI over the seven mag, other than saying "280 AI," which sounds cooler?

Edit to say, I didn't read the earlier posts.

How much less powder for similar velocities?

Definitely less recoil for similar velocity using a grain or 2 less powder. Does away with the silly belt and headspaces on the shoulder as it should be. I had one when it was still a wildcat and it was a pain fireforming cases so down the road it went. When factory rifles, ammo and cases were offered I signed on to the 280 ai once again and it will never leave my batttery as long as I hunt.

Good Evening from sunny western ND!
Grew up with a 30-06, and it has done it's job many times over. Every year I try to take one rifle out of the safe and work up a load for it, spend a great deal of time preparing for the hunt. The last 3 years I have fallen back to the M70 in 7mm mauser. Wife hunts with a 6.5 Swede. I carried the 9.3x62 first day because I was going to be in closer (200 max), but after the wife got her muley, the mauser came out for the second day's hunt. Something about that 139 grain bullet with a healthy charge of imr 4064 that is the goldilocks load. Not too much, but never takes a second shot. Recoil is very mild.

If the OP didn't reload- 7mag. Very easy to find ammo, has plenty of ooomph and will get the job done.
2nd would be the 30-06
If reloading: 7mauser and 6.5 swede (I feel it's marginal on deer), 9.3x62.
While my binocs aren't super high end, they are Steiner 8x30 and do a great job picking out deer. Most of the serious hunting rifles around here wear a fixed 6x leupold. Sight it a couple inches high at 100, and you are clear to 300 with little adjustment. Of course, most of the rifles have a specific load for that one rifle.
OP- very best of luck finding what you feel is the best balance of recoil, accuracy and power downrange.

Good Evening from sunny western ND!
Grew up with a 30-06, and it has done it's job many times over. Every year I try to take one rifle out of the safe and work up a load for it, spend a great deal of time preparing for the hunt. The last 3 years I have fallen back to the M70 in 7mm mauser. Wife hunts with a 6.5 Swede. I carried the 9.3x62 first day because I was going to be in closer (200 max), but after the wife got her muley, the mauser came out for the second day's hunt. Something about that 139 grain bullet with a healthy charge of imr 4064 that is the goldilocks load. Not too much, but never takes a second shot. Recoil is very mild.

If the OP didn't reload- 7mag. Very easy to find ammo, has plenty of ooomph and will get the job done.
2nd would be the 30-06
If reloading: 7mauser and 6.5 swede (I feel it's marginal on deer), 9.3x62.
While my binocs aren't super high end, they are Steiner 8x30 and do a great job picking out deer. Most of the serious hunting rifles around here wear a fixed 6x leupold. Sight it a couple inches high at 100, and you are clear to 300 with little adjustment. Of course, most of the rifles have a specific load for that one rifle.
OP- very best of luck finding what you feel is the best balance of recoil, accuracy and power downrange.
Are you saying you feel the 7 mauser and 6.5 swede are marginal on deer? I can't say I subscribe to that theory.

7 Mauser- without a doubt is a deer killing machine- so long as they are handloaded to their potential. My experience with my Swede(s) is this: If I had to use the caliber and had no other, I would. But so long as a 7Mauser is involved, I will use that caliber over most any other. Wife's experience has been great with her Swede. For me, the 7 is a DRT.

The 6.5 I felt in the previous post is marginal-not the 7. Mind you, these are 120 grain. They kill just fine, but placement is everything. That muley was dead on his feet, yet he kept going. And he wasn't spook shot.

That and another whitetail harvested a few years ago have made me a little cautious on taking the caliber in rut, where things are apt to be coming through and hot. Your experiences (or reading) are likely going to conflict my own.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads