JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So many threads on this and I have not read all of the replies.
But Since you have no previous rifle experience, I'd stay away from magnums plus the cost of shooting is stupid now days.
"If It were me " I'd get a 223 for target practice/range/ trigger time, varmint and deer with in 200 yards. Just make sure it has at least 1:9 or 1:8 twist would be better.

Proper deer or elk rifle 270 or 06. (7-08 is too expensive unless you re load)
I have both 06 and 270. and could care less which one I grab. To be honest, I carry 270 for deer and 06 as back up. For elk I Cary 06, and 270 as a back up.
My kids now have the 6.5 and with proper bullets and shot placement I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use it on elk. Elk aren't bullet proof, but shot placement is the key. And you need trigger time and experience in the field. Even experienced hunters f up sometimes. Stuff happens.
For trigger time 223 will be $!
In my Arsenal I have bunch to choose from and I keep going back to what works and doesn't hurt the shoulder or budget to practice with.
What I got, 223s bolt action and semi, 6.5s, 7.62x39 bolt and semi , 270, 06s, 300 win mag, and 9.3x62.
Get a quality rifle like a tikka, good glass and rings and be done.
buy once, cry once

also don't get lost in today's hype of long range shooting. Just cause you have magnum and small telescope on top of it. Doesn't mean you'll be able to hit since you have no experience

Its ironic the more rifle cartridges I acquire the less I see a need for the 30-06. To me a 30-06 is a bit much for deer and bit light for elk. If I only had one or two rifles one would be a 30-06. I feel better carrying a larger caliber for elk and prefer a 7mm or 6.5 for deer. Saying all that I have four 30-06 rifles and dont want to get rid of any of them.

If you're honest with your skill level and ranges the 06 is all you need.
With today's bullets and powders, The 06 will be just fine. I can push 165/8 at 2950 FPS with moa accuracy. Not much I can't do.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

If you're honest with your skill level and ranges the 06 is all you need.
With today's bullets and powders, The 06 will be just fine. I can push 165/8 at 2950 FPS with moa accuracy. Not much I can't do.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
30-06 is not sexy, not trendy.
It just gets the job done.

At the end of the day new calibers arent doing anything that traditional old calibers arent doing. But then if everyone stayed truly practical things would be boring if everyone only hunted with an -06, and new innovations would be overlooked for future technologies. To me it doesnt matter so much what you choose as how well you learn to use it....

So many threads on this and I have not read all of the replies.
But Since you have no previous rifle experience, I'd stay away from magnums plus the cost of shooting is stupid now days.
"If It were me " I'd get a 223 for target practice/range/ trigger time, varmint and deer with in 200 yards. Just make sure it has at least 1:9 or 1:8 twist would be better.

Proper deer or elk rifle 270 or 06. (7-08 is too expensive unless you re load)
I have both 06 and 270. and could care less which one I grab. To be honest, I carry 270 for deer and 06 as back up. For elk I Cary 06, and 270 as a back up.
My kids now have the 6.5 and with proper bullets and shot placement I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use it on elk. Elk aren't bullet proof, but shot placement is the key. And you need trigger time and experience in the field. Even experienced hunters f up sometimes. Stuff happens.
For trigger time 223 will be $!
In my Arsenal I have bunch to choose from and I keep going back to what works and doesn't hurt the shoulder or budget to practice with.
What I got, 223s bolt action and semi, 6.5s, 7.62x39 bolt and semi , 270, 06s, 300 win mag, and 9.3x62.
Get a quality rifle like a tikka, good glass and rings and be done.
buy once, cry once

also don't get lost in today's hype of long range shooting. Just cause you have magnum and small telescope on top of it. Doesn't mean you'll be able to hit since you have no experience
7mm-08 too expensive? You have the .223 for practice, how much ammo are you gonna burn? Cabelas charges the same price for Hornady factory ammo for 7mm-08 compared to 30-06. Federal Fusion is $7 more for 7mm-08 ammo, is 35 cents a round more going to break anyone?

In my experience, and I'm speaking for myself only, but I've also done it, there isn't anything the 30-06 can do that the 7mm-08 can't do as well.

P

7mm-08 too expensive? You have the .223 for practice, how much ammo are you gonna burn? Cabelas charges the same price for Hornady factory ammo for 7mm-08 compared to 30-06. Federal Fusion is $7 more for 7mm-08 ammo, is 35 cents a round more going to break anyone?

In my experience, and I'm speaking for myself only, but I've also done it, there isn't anything the 30-06 can do that the 7mm-08 can't do as well.

P
How about shoot 220 grain bullets if needed, I love my 7x57 but it is not a 30-06

How about shoot 220 grain bullets if needed, I love my 7x57 but it is not a 30-06
What are you hunting that needs a 220 grain bullet? If you say Brown bears okay, but how many people hunt Brown bears?

Deer, elk, antelope, again speaking for myself only, the 7mm-08 is just as good as the 30-06.

And, checking ammo prices at Cabelas again, Federal Premium Nosler Partition ammo is $10 a box cheaper for the 7mm-08 compared to the .270. No price on 30-06 so I can't comment on that.

The 7mm-08 is not the equivalent of the 30-06 - there are a lot of reloading manuals that would indicate your wrong. It may work for you which apparently it does but to say the two are equivalent is misleading.

The 7mm-08 is not the equivalent of the 30-06 - there are a lot of reloading manuals that would indicate your wrong. It may work for you which apparently it does but to say the two are equivalent is misleading.
In my experience the 7mm-08 kills as well as the 30-06.

Animals don't read reloading manuals.

Some informative reading
I read it and was unimpressed. The authors rely heavily on "stopping power" (their term), which I discount completely, in their "leaning" toward the 30-06.

I enjoyed their Top Hunting Rounds section, where the authors state "For the 7mm-08, we are all for the Nosler Trophy Grade AccuBond 140gr, and while it is only our opinion, we think it's one of the best 7mm-08 hunting rounds out there. It is a fantastic round for medium sized game and can even drop larger muleys and elk out to 300 yards. The AccuBond bullet has tremendous penetration, and you will have no issue getting down to vital organs and delivering maximum energy with the rounds controlled expansion."

I think the conclusion is appropriate as well.

"In this article, we compared two cartridges that are built to perform in a lot of the same arenas. And we hope that we have shown, that while there are some general trends in performance that lean towards one cartridge over the other, in the end, both have options that are going to take care of business in the field."

"Lean towards" leaves a lot of room for discussion.

Again, my opinion only, based on experience.

P

EF8ABDDD-87FB-4501-AF40-A8CAF6806B07.jpeg

5x6 bull taken by my nephew, 7mm-08 and 150 gr Hornady ELD-X, 409 yards.

585A59DC-5958-4C85-91BE-417FE908AE96.jpeg

Two Mulie bucks, both taken at over 500 yards, both 7mm-08, one with 140 grain Partition, the other 140 grain AccuBond.

E1C4F793-616A-4C21-9D16-9B8582104C88.jpeg

Perhaps my favorite photo, my dad's last bull. 7mm-08, 140 grain AccuBond, 225 yards.

Would these animals be any deader with a 30-06? I have a lot more pics, but you get the idea.

Let me be very clear, I'm not saying the 7mm-08 is better. I'm saying that it's just as good.

P

You just don't understand - placement is everything. Literally nothing else matters. Heck, you don't even need a rifle!

Just get one of these:
View attachment 1023533

As long as you're a good hunter, and have the accuracy to throw this directly at the game animal's head, the zero penetration of this "caliber" isn't going to matter at all!

Placement, placement, placement!

Truly great hunters are able to sneak up and crack em on the head with one of these!!!

View attachment 1023942

5x6 bull taken by my nephew, 7mm-08 and 150 gr Hornady ELD-X, 409 yards.

View attachment 1023943

Two Mulie bucks, both taken at over 500 yards, both 7mm-08, one with 140 grain Partition, the other 140 grain AccuBond.

View attachment 1023944

Perhaps my favorite photo, my dad's last bull. 7mm-08, 140 grain AccuBond, 225 yards.

Would these animals be any deader with a 30-06? I have a lot more pics, but you get the idea.

Let me be very clear, I'm not saying the 7mm-08 is better. I'm saying that it's just as good.

P
Hard to knock success - if it works keep using it.

I see your 7mm-08 as an equivalent to my FN 7x57 ( I really like the 7x57) - I just think that I want something that I can shoot on an elk at any angle. I hunt public property and when I get a shot I have to be able to take it. I prefer my 338-06 and 9.3x62 for elk and with those the shots need to be within 300 yards. I currently have a 338WM and a 358 Norma that I am playing with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top