JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe in having two rifles - one for deer and one for elk
The reason why is that I believe that each rifle should shoot one load so there is no guessing as to last load it was sighted in with. Once you find a great load that a rifle shoots well and does what you want don't go messing with a good thing. Odds are a good load for elk is not the best load for deer and visa versa.
For ages I had two loads, both 180gr. RL22 pushing a Ballistic tip for deer and a Partition for elk. Both at the same velocity. Both shooting to the same point of aim at any distance I'm gonna shoot an animal. It was very simple that way.
When I had a Ruger 375 it was in the same platform as the 30-06, but shooting a 270gr bullet with the same trajectory.

These days I shoot a Sierra GameKing 180 gr. Doesn't matter if I'm hunting deer or elk.

Like to admit it or not, CoreLokts have killed everything, including the moose Dad shot with his "06 and the elk the wife shot with her 7mm-08.

Shot placement is the key, but we have to have something to argue about. :D

I have no problem with that.
Would not hesitate to use it on anything, as long as the range isn't too far.
The lighter bullets/loads will take down smaller deer without "blowing up" a bunch of meat, and the heavy bullets/loads will go clean thru an Elk end-for-end no problem.
Caveat,, their may be some recoil,, but hey, no pain no gain, right.

Unbonded bullets have been mentioned a couple of times here (Remington Core-Lokt in particular). There is no doubt these bullets have killed everything in North America and elsewhere for a century, and if I had to pick an unbonded bullet the Core-Lokt would be a good choice (because of the "lokt" bit where the compressed ring gives greater hold on the lead core to increase the likelihood the bullet will remain intact).

We also still have paper topographic maps and flannel clothing. But if I were advising a new hunter on what to consider today, I would suggest becoming familiar with GPS technologies and learn about modern synthetic fabrics. There have been great improvements in performance, including bullet design. It pays to learn about the benefits of current offerings, even if the legacy stuff still works.

Haha...i am a little confused. i know Elk are much bigger than deer, so i was not sure if it is ideal to have different rifles if one can afford two separate rifles or if one rifle is just fine. i'm not sure if the grain and ballistics necessary for an Elk would destroy too much of the meat for a deer. But it sounds like a .308 works for both 👍
My only large caliber rifle is a 308 win. I'm not the type to shoot at an animal over 300 yards "too much to go wrong for me" and the 308 win has plenty of options for most large game in our area.

We gun folks do love to argue about advocate for our favorite items. The bottom line is that a lot of stuff works and works well. A lot of variables like the area you hunt (wooded or high desert) will affect how well it works.

The first elk I collected was with a .257 Roberts. The other hunters I was with kept swearing that it wasn't good enough to take an elk. Amazing considering I'm standing there with a dead elk. I did succumb to peer pressure later and went to the 30-06.

If I remember correctly, the OP is just starting to hunt. I suggest that he get one rifle, get it set up with a good scope, and practice with it. Get a good, a really good, pair of binoculars. $200 Tasco's won't cut it. If you have to risk the wrath of the wife, do it on the binoculars. You will probably spend more time looking than walking. On top of that, you'll need good boots, GPS/compass, rain gear, a good knife, and more.

I look forward to reading about your future adventures.

Completely agree with Retired Guy comment on the binocular's. You don't have to buy top tier euro glass these days to get a great pair but spend as much as you can afford on binoculars. Binoculars are probably the best tool I have purchased for hunting if you base that off seeing/finding more game. They have led to me seeing/finding/spotting more game than any other piece of equipment I have in my hunting kit. I saved for a couple years to upgrade from my Nikon's to Swarovski and have zero regrets on the money I spent. Spend a lot of time looking through any and all binoculars you can find before making a choice. I looked through Vortex, Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, Leupold, Meopta, Nikon, etc.... before deciding on a pair of Sware 10x42 EL's.

Unbonded bullets have been mentioned a couple of times here (Remington Core-Lokt in particular). There is no doubt these bullets have killed everything in North America and elsewhere for a century, and if I had to pick an unbonded bullet the Core-Lokt would be a good choice (because of the "lokt" bit where the compressed ring gives greater hold on the lead core to increase the likelihood the bullet will remain intact).

We also still have paper topographic maps and flannel clothing. But if I were advising a new hunter on what to consider today, I would suggest becoming familiar with GPS technologies and learn about modern synthetic fabrics. There have been great improvements in performance, including bullet design. It pays to learn about the benefits of current offerings, even if the legacy stuff still works.
GPS technology is a step up from paper maps. Most hunters will notice the difference.

Modern synthetic clothing keeps you warmer. Most hunters will notice the difference.

New bullets don't kill any deader. Most animals won't know the difference.

I've killed elk with Core-Lokts, Partitions, and ELD-Xs. Same with deer, but add Accubonds. They all died about the same.

Just my experience-based opinion.

P

I totally agree, my long winded point is when beginning hunting, bullet selection maters less than ability. Everything else in hunting also matters as well. Buy the best you can afford or are able to budget, but you don't NEED a 1200 dollar rifle with 2000 dollar optics and an 80 dollar box of shells to hunt successfully and have a blast. yes on newer tech for sure but don't sweat it!

IMO the most important aspects in order are:
  1. Shot placement - if you can't accurately hit a vital area it doesn't matter how powerful the cartridge. A quick humane kill is the goal. A lighter recoiling cartridge that you shoot more accurately will be a better killer than a more powerful one that you can't shoot as well if you are recoil sensitive. A muzzle brake can mitigate this, but they also have their own drawbacks

2. Bullet performance - a great bullet on a less powerful cartridge will usually be more effective at killing than a poor bullet on a more powerful one. IMO big game is a big investment in time and resources so go ahead and spend the money on premium controlled expansion bullets.

3. Cartridge - factors are size of animal and range. If you are hunting at less than 200 yards you don't need the same power than you do at 600 yards, assuming you can shoot accurately at distance.
Muh two cents: It's hard to go wrong with a 30-06, 280, 0r 270. For short actions 308, 7-08, and, yes, 6.5 CM/260/6.5x55. Those three 6.5's are ballistically three peas in a pod and the Swede has been favored for elk sized game in Europe for over a hundred years. If I had to make a pick, personally I would go with a 280 AI as my first choice and a 6.5 as my second, but I'm also a hand loader.

Lots of other cartridges are just fine as well, just pick one, become proficient with it, and don't doubt your decision.

Let us know what you decide so we can second guess your decision and see if we can whip up a big pot of buyer's remorse. :D

Last Edited:
To me a good bullet for elk provides / requires deeper penetration which will provide less expansioion and over penetration on a less dense body such as deer. This penetration on a elk will probably go straight through a 150lb deer body. If nothing else by using a less well constructed bullet you have to give greater thought about the shot you will take on an elk. The bullet like previously stated is important to the job at hand.
agree here but with a note that its easy to get a passthru on a deer with even a deer specific caliber. A double lung pass thru is still a one shot kill in my experience anyways I think as long as the bullet expands properly its done all it can even if it does pass thru.

agree here but with a note that its easy to get a passthru on a deer with even a deer specific caliber. A double lung pass thru is still a one shot kill in my experience anyways I think as long as the bullet expands properly its done all it can even if it does pass thru.
I prefer an exit, myself.

Knockdown power is a myth.

P

download.jpg
I'm not a Weatherby guy so I couldn't tell you what the roll stamp on the barrel says, but every time I see a box of ammo for one it's marked like the pic shows. Apparently even Weatherby says so.
wthbyn300200pt_2_3_5.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads