JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to put some holes in targets with my shiny new HW97k. I'm looking for something near Tigard, and it seems like Tri County is a good bet, if expensive and oddly difficult to join.

Any thoughts on alternatives? I'd be happy shooting outside as well, however the closest I can find is Tillamook State Forest near Brown's Camp. That's a long drive for target practice.

Sadly my back yard isn't an option either.

Thanks!

Giacomo

Oh, also, thanks for Johnson Creek Gun Club. I hadn't seen them. I'll look into that one.

So odd that I'd drive east for a range... so much cheap land out there to the west.

Hey guys,

Just a quick note..at Johnson Creek Gun Club, we can't allow for air rifles, bb guns, or shotguns because it is too difficult to remove the pellets from our bullet trap. It would require sifting of every every last bit of the pea gravel to get the pellets out. Wish we could help.

Sorry for the inconvenience...
Jill

Thanks for the head's up Jill.

Let us know if there are any other places in the area that you know of which might allow for air guns.

Cheers!

Thanks airgunner, I'll give them a look. Hopefully they'll be a little less costly. I ended up joining TCGC, but the drive to Dundee from my house is a nice one (not to mention the wine bonus).

NRA National Match targets are 10 meters. 20 yards is about optimum if shooting outdoors especially if shooting .177 cal. As with all guns the larger pellets such as .22 cal. and 5mm typically excel at ranges beyond this. There are those .177s that shoot very well out farther but you get what you pay for tends to dictate how well . There are some EXTREME quality air rifles out there that can truly amaze you .

10-20 yards.

Just joking around above about the distance vs. locale. Anyway, here's an idea:

Perhaps, like me, some of you can see several yards down a hall in your basement, or up against the back of your own garage outside. Or maybe you have a shooting buddy nearby who can accommodate an impromptu range?

With that said, my warm, dry basement is my favorite spot for airguns. I can shoot BB's and pellets up to 70 feet into a simple deflecting trap I set up, which leaves plenty of room to line up iron sights or scopes for a 20-yard zero. If I'm not done, I can leave everything set up - a little bench rest, spotting scope on a tripod, lights on the target.

It's a rustic basement so I'm not risking significant damage to nice walls or doorways with a stray shot. But with 1000's of carefully planned rounds "downrange," I've never hit anything but my intended targets.

Handiness is the big thing for me, not having to drive anywhere, observe specific hours or put up with the buffoonery of others sharing the place.

I plan to move somewhere rural in a few years when I retire and shoot noisy guns off my back porch for the same reason.

Just an idea. Depending on where you are and with appropriate resources - keeping strict range discipline paramount above all - some of you might have decent pellet gun arcades right where you are. Be safe!

Hey guys,

Just a quick note..at Johnson Creek Gun Club, we can't allow for air rifles, bb guns, or shotguns because it is too difficult to remove the pellets from our bullet trap. It would require sifting of every every last bit of the pea gravel to get the pellets out. Wish we could help.

Sorry for the inconvenience...
Jill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews