JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive been reloading for accuracy and cost efficiency with a single stage press for a while now. I just got self loading .308 and I want to pump out a boat load of ammo for it. My next gun is gonna be an AR15 So same deal there. I just want to mass produce ammo. From your own experience what is the most reliable and cost efficient progressive press? And any other tips you might have for cranking out lots of rounds? Thanks,

Brandon

I have a Dillon 550, 650 and a 1050 set up for .223. I have used all 3 for .223 and while the 1050 is the fastest at about 900-1000 rnds an hour, your most cost effective choice would be the 650 as the change to other calibers is easier and cheaper.

One word........Dillon 550.......you can thank me later.

I would have to agree. I load 9mm and 45 on one and do between 400-500 per hour. The 550 is not very expensive and easy to use. I'll probably start reloading .223 by the end of the year on mine as well and to switch between calibers is easy and fast.

Ive been reloading for accuracy and cost efficiency with a single stage press for a while now. I just got self loading .308 and I want to pump out a boat load of ammo for it. My next gun is gonna be an AR15 So same deal there. I just want to mass produce ammo. From your own experience what is the most reliable and cost efficient progressive press? And any other tips you might have for cranking out lots of rounds? Thanks,

Brandon

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 550 but based on what you stated in your post, I believe the XL650 would be a far better choice. With the 550 you have to manually advance the shell plate to go to the next round. With a 650, once the powder measure and primer tube are filled you merely put a bullet on the powder filled case and pull the handle.

To really mass produce ammo you will definitely want a case feeder as well. My 650 has turned out 10's of thousands of rounds, 9mm, .223, and even some .308 with only one spring that broke somewhere in the 100k round mark. Dillon sent me one free of charge.

I am gonna be different... I love my Hornaday Lock-n-load and works very well.
Nothing against Dillon, use them as well and you wouldn't go wrong with that at all! If using mixed brass, then get a Dillon primer pocket swage!

If I could go back,I would leave the LNL on the shelf and buy the 650

I haven't reloaded on it since I polished it up with emery cloth and put it back together.
223 cases fell off when pushed home,primer slide wouldn't go back far enough to get a primer.Yeah you just have to keep it tight,I know.
case feeder didn't feed good,but that was OK cause the cases fell over when it did work.

But you go to "ultimate reloader" and everything works perfect.
I'm sure he didn't have factory help come out first.
Sheese,a rock chucker can put out some rounds if you plan it right.

Can't say anything about other presses, but I use a Dillon 650, and like it. Also had a 550, and while it is a good press I sold it and kept my 650. I like the auto advance on the 650, and the fact that I can install a low powder check on it. Just my 2 cents

I found a used pro jector with a new set of lee .223 dies for 100 bucks that Im gonna piece together and designate to one caliber and put at the end of the bench. Hopefully... By the time I get it working right I should be able to run a 650 like a champ! Does the projector run lnl parts? I just need a shell plate and primer tube I think. My powder measure should mount up.

Oh yeah, I had the money for my reloading stuff I wanted but I found a M&P 15 new for $660. So I bought that and a used projector...lol. Maybe next time I get some dollars saved up I will actually buy the dillon 650 instead of another gun...

I concur with deadshot2. Go with a xl650. I own one as well, along with a few others. The casefeeder is fabulous and significantly increases output but it is a noisy and somewhat spendy option. When loading rifle rounds, your throughput is rate limited by the powder drop time so the benefit of the casefeeder is not as great as it is for pistol calibers, IMHO. Regardless, you cannot go wrong with a Dillon. Moreover, they mean it when they say their presses come with a lifetime no-BS warranty.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

I concur with deadshot2. Go with a xl650. I own one as well, along with a few others. The casefeeder is fabulous and significantly increases output but it is a noisy and somewhat spendy option. When loading rifle rounds, your throughput is rate limited by the powder drop time so the benefit of the casefeeder is not as great as it is for pistol calibers, IMHO. Regardless, you cannot go wrong with a Dillon. Moreover, they mean it when they say their presses come with a lifetime no-BS warranty.

A tip for speeding the "Powder Drop" time on a dillon. Take the powder funnel out of the powder die and do a "super polish" job on the inside surface. Also, make sure that the hole in the bottom isn't too small for the specific caliber you are loading. These pieces are somewhat universal, serving calibers that are close in case neck opening. Just do like an old hotrodder would do and match the "port" to the case mouth dia. Since the powder only drops while the case is forced against the moving funnel it can be opened up to the same dia without problems. Removing any machine marks and making the inside of the funnel will make the powder flow way quicker.

A tip for speeding the "Powder Drop" time on a dillon. Take the powder funnel out of the powder die and do a "super polish" job on the inside surface. Also, make sure that the hole in the bottom isn't too small for the specific caliber you are loading. These pieces are somewhat universal, serving calibers that are close in case neck opening. Just do like an old hotrodder would do and match the "port" to the case mouth dia. Since the powder only drops while the case is forced against the moving funnel it can be opened up to the same dia without problems. Removing any machine marks and making the inside of the funnel will make the powder flow way quicker.

Great advice, ds2. I now have another project to start. It it's amazing how everytime I start feeling confident in my handloading knowledge base I an again humbled by my lack thereof. Like science, there is always much to learn, the journey never ends. Cheers!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top