JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, how can you say this?

UUhhh....it's true. I have just always used what I have and it works for me. As for the quality compared to Dillon......I think that most of us know the answer to that one. So that does not mean I have to rush out and buy a entire new reloading system.....not.

UUhhh....it's true. I have just always used what I have and it works for me. As for the quality compared to Dillon......I think that most of us know the answer to that one. So that does not mean I have to rush out and buy a entire new reloading system.....not.

I think the point that you are missing is that if you don't actually have experience with the press in question by the OP or any other press company besides RCBS what are you basing your dillon statement on?? what kind of wieght should i give your statement and why?? If your suggestion to the OP is dillon please explain why... every press out there at least the ones i have used all have their pros and cons, even dillons... there is no perfect press for everyone just maybe a perfect press for an individuals situation. I believe the OP is trying to find the press whose "pros" line up to his situation...

I think the point that you are missing is that if you don't actually have experience with the press in question by the OP or any other press company besides RCBS what are you basing your dillon statement on?? what kind of wieght should i give your statement and why?? If your suggestion to the OP is dillon please explain why... every press out there at least the ones i have used all have their pros and cons, even dillons... there is no perfect press for everyone just maybe a perfect press for an individuals situation. I believe the OP is trying to find the press whose "pros" line up to his situation...

Does it really matter? Why are you busting my balls for my opinion? Can't a statement be made and not pshyco-analized? I have always used RCBS but I think the quality of Dillon stuff is good. So what is the problem? Should I sell everything and buy Dillon based on my statement and to make you feel so much better? Get over it. It is not that big of a deal.

I know this. Dillon is rather expensive compared to others. When a used Dillon is put up for sale, it still commands a premium price. Those used machines that are put up for sale which have a price reflecting 75% of retail are snapped up very quickly. Now it may be there is a lot of kool aid being drank out there but I would suggest it isn't the kool aid but rather it is a truly find company with a fine product.

I know this too. I found a Dillon 650 on craigslist a while back. I was the first to call on it so the guy held it for me over a week before I could get to it. When I finally did, he told me his phone rang off the hook with people wanting it until he finally pulled the ad. I also know that for over a year I've been trying to get one used and each time (apart from the last time) I called to try, it was gone already. Kool aid? Doubtful.

My opinion is that Dillon fits more people's needs than the others do. Read up on the progressive machines. Check out the reviews. Post threads on the boards and see what others opinions are. Do that and in the end you should be very happy with your choice. :s0155:

I have nothing against dillon at all they do hold their value very well and my point was not in anyway stating that a dillon was in anyway not a great press (in fact I have one) . what i was commenting on was people just saying "dillon" while having no experience with them or going into a reason why. point in case i think if you scroll up through the previous posts you will see Pnutz and tangofoxtrot with what i would call informative posts. most of the rest just seemed like "dillon or nothing" or "dillon dillon dillon" with no real reason or information.

To me this is kind of like the ford-chevy debate. if i asked which i should buy im sure i would get a few "fords rock" or "chevy kicks butt" but i would give more thought to the person who stated the pros and cons that they have noticed and why they think one would fit my needs/situation better.

Does it really matter? Why are you busting my balls for my opinion? Can't a statement be made and not pshyco-analized? I have always used RCBS but I think the quality of Dillon stuff is good. So what is the problem? Should I sell everything and buy Dillon based on my statement and to make you feel so much better? Get over it. It is not that big of a deal.

sorry didnt mean to come across as bustin your balls, It just caught me a little off guard for you to say "dillon was superior to others" and then say you have never used one and only use RCBS. i in no way meant that you should go buy a dillon set-up. and am really not sure where that came from?? i was trying to get the point across that a statement such as the one you made would come across better from someone who had actually used a dillon and a few of the other brands as well for comparison.

Just a question for the high volume reloaders:

I have always used an RCBS single stage setup for my reloading needs. Recently mainly due to my current AR and 45ACP habits have thought about picking up a progressive. From what I can see I have 3 main choices a Lee 1000, a Dillon square deal, or a Hornady lock and load AP. I may be missing a great choice but these are the ones I am familiar with, at least slightly. The Lee press has a great price but I know no one who uses one. The square deal is an old stand by and makes lots of ammo but I have never used one though this is what I am leaning towards. The Hornady is the most expensive but looks like a tank and would last forever but would like to hear some firsthand knowledge about it.

What do you all use and like or use and hate?

Has anyone really ever used the Lee progressive press? Looks cheap enough to get two of them.

If you have a progressive how hard is it to change calibers?

Does one of these load rifles well and pistol not so well?

Any input would be helpful, thanks ahead of time.

ElkFish

:s0155::s0155:

Now to get this thread back on topic (sorry)... I have a question.

What type of budget are you thinking?

Wow! My computer access has been limited for a few days and all of this. Cost is a factor but I figure you would have to be into your 3rd or 4th K of 223 or 45acp to have the press "pay" but cost is not the only factor anymore. I figure a guy who is already reloading a single stage press is going to have to invest another say $500-$700 for quanity progressive reloading to start. I guess you could do it cheaper in smaller stages and be closer to the $500.

Thanks again!

ElkFish.

I went with the lnl horny and love it. Just a little work to learn all the adjustments and setup but when its right it does all I ask of it. Make sure all the tubes match the case you are using and with the case collator I can keep up with my friends 550b. If you find a ball powder that works with your caliber you will be happy with the load consistency and accuracy.

I have a Dillon 650XL and I love it. Loads everything I have and everything I dont as of yet. Outside of the all the ajustments needed to change calibers and then there is the cost. But besides that I beleave it the best for me. As i havent used any other progressive reloader.

For back up though I have 2 RCBS rock crushers!

1 more vote for Dillon. I have a XL650 and I have broken it 2 times now at no fault of the equipment. Dillon wont let me pay for the parts I break, I call them and the part is in the mail and I am back up and running in 2 days.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top