JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have this 1965 Schwinn Speedster project that I picked up for cheap. Local shop quoted me $75 for sandblasting and powdercoating black.. are there better pricing for auch, or should I strip the paint and derust the frame and fork and chainguard myself? (And possibly fenders if not chrome)
Thats if I do a full restore. Got a few directions I could go if not do a faithful restoration to factory new/refurbish.
Pics of bike I picked up and after full disassemble and some wet sanding with 100 grit. Gray seems to be original primer/base coat.

For 1965 only 2 colors offered, a metallic red and a basic gloss black.

It needs a few parts to be functional but not 100% factory... needs a LOT of work to do full 100% factory fresh looking restoration.

20171027_132124.jpg 20171101_102338.jpg

Any color then black will increase the price. Black is shot the most so your parts can be included with a batch of other parts saving the set up cost of shooting a completely one off color just for the little tiny frame and chain gard.

If you figure the time, labor costs, materials, and the business overhead of equipment set up, brick & mortar, utilities, TAXES, and making a profit in there somewhere... a sandblast, powder coat, & baking it is CHEAP!!

Support your local small business ya cheap bubblegum! ;):D

I don't see a lot of these in black.. most are red, or blue, green, yellow, in other models with the same small frame. A few are in coppery brown, and rest are custom painted.
3 pieces to be sandblasted or taken down to bare metal; the frame, fork and chainguard.
Chrome pieces and wheels just need cleaning.
First things first, see if I can get the necessary parts at low prices for good condition, no way in heck am I going to fork over hundreds of bucks in "new old stock" parts for a bike that may only bring me $150-250 depending on the market.

I have this....

P1020335.JPG

All original, other than tires, cables and brake pads. Tassels an add on too. Mom and Dad got it new in 1962. It was sitting in the garage in SLC with flat tires for 40 years. Me and buddies used to see how fast we could get it going. Brought it here disassembled on the top of the CR-v No rust really, just a few dings and some scratches.

These are the ideas I could do.
5414624482_878ce25069_b.jpg
Drop bars, mid 70s setup, single speed coaster brake hub, chrome fenders, no other brakes

post-8227-131014437312.jpg
Overgrown BMX/Cali Cruiser, 26" BMX wheels, fork, BMX parts, not original paint
dba22920f23decbe5a567ff11811ac35-1.jpg
Full restore to factory configuration; painted fenders, brakes, 3 speed, black handlebar grips and saddle and pedals.

2933711668_f27dd671a3_b.jpg
Rat rodded, kinda. Flipped handlebars, coaster brake single speed, no caliper brakes. Shown with custom seatpost.
I do not know which one would get me a buyer the fastest....

Those down turned handle bars look kinda cool, but makes my back, and other parts, hurt just looking it them.

That seat post REALLY gives me the creeps! What happens if it brakes while your flying down a hill or something? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Those down turned handle bars look kinda cool, but makes my back, and other parts, hurt just looking it them.

That seat post REALLY gives me the creeps! What happens if it brakes while your flying down a hill or something? :eek: :eek: :eek:
The frame is really short.... more suited for kids or very short people, probably why the seat in last pic is set far back... its interesting but not quite my flavor. The seatpost I have is a very long steel one for taller riders, perhaps I can do a sort of "muscle bike" with a banana seat and ape hanger bars but the fork would need to be changed out, and the most expensive part would be the banana seat with the correct height support bars.
There was a 24" wheeled model with the same frame, called the Manta Ray. The 20" wheeled muscle bike model was the Stingray. The Speedster could be had with all 3 wheel sizes but not in the -ray muscle bike formats. Shown with coasted brake version; more common is the 3 speed with suicide knob shifter on top tube.EDIT; actually there's no reason the banana seat with long seat support bar cannot accommodate the existing 26" wheels... might be an interesting look.
2011-11-06a 1972 Schwinn Manta Ray green.JPG

Last Edited:
Got most of the parts today. Similar condition to what was on tbe bike, so looks like I should do it like this;
Rat rod 3 speed skinny cruiser
Suede metallic paint (gloss paint with dull clearcoat over)
Basic black saddle, handlebar grips, pedals
Cables would be basic black
Tires maybe change out for whitewalls or gum colored walled skinny cruiser tires
No fenders, unless I luck out and find a set of chromies for cheap lol

Update; shop had to order more of the powder and they finished the 3 main parts today after having had them since Nov 7th. I guess pick 2 of the 3 isnt bad (cheap, good, quick) and so far its good and reasonably priced. Looks like chainguard needs some dent work but eh, maybe better without it? Semigloss black, almost glossy, looks awesome

20171116_115053.jpg 20171116_115106.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads