Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best powder???

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Stoneage, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Stoneage

Stoneage Portland, Oregon Member

Why's the best gun powder for loading 115grain 9mm Luger?
    W231?
    Unique?
    Or something else?

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as the 'best' powder for any loading. There are however some powders that are considered 'standards' for certain calibers. Bullseye is certainly a standard for light to medium loads in a variety of pistol calibers and I have experienced some of my best accuracy with BE but is is no doubt the best and I am going to start using Western Powders soon for my pistol calibers. If their pistol powders burn as clean as their rifle ones I will never go back. Accuracy still trumps cleanliness though so we shall see.

Darkker and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

No best powder,but I run 5.7grs of W-231 with a 115gr bullet.

4. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Right now the best powder to use is the powder you can find.

5. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Checking against on line reloading data.

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Your load exceeds the "max" for 9mm Luger. But, if you want to keep on using it. I'll just move way over..........

Here.

Aloha, Mark

PS....REMINDER: cross check load data w/ your own sources before using "any ole data" off the internet.

FreanchModel.jpg

Perhaps Twodogs ment 4.7grs of Win231 with his 115gr bullets in 9mm Luger?

6. Modly

Modly Beaverton Active Member

I have a preference to Vihtavuori powders with pistols. I personally use N340 for 9mm, which shoots clean, and gives me very good accuracy results.

7. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

If you find the "best powder" let me know, I've been looking for it for a long time. Typically for that type of load I use either titegroup, HS6, or W231/HP-38.

8. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

I agree that the "Finn's" make some great powder. I use 3N37 in my 9mm loads when max velocity is important to me but it's a powder that you need to be careful with. It goes from bang to Ka-Boom pretty quick.

For my volume loads I use Power Pistol. In my 9mm's it burns clean, gives good velocity, and is available (when my supplier has it in stock) in large jugs at a reasonable price.

I used to use HS-6 and W231. One was too slow and the other just a filthy mess.

9. bobmtay

bobmtay saskatchewan New Member

There is know thing as the best powder there all good, it all comes down to the gun, there all different with every powder, read all about reloads of different kinds for a specific guns and try each one until one works the best with your rifle, handgun or shotgun, I have target shot for years and reloaded, it is amazing sometime how little bit of powder in a reload can make a difference, trial and error is the only way of knowing, take your time and have fun

10. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

HP-38 has been a hit and miss on deliveries. HS-6 will also work and it has been a bit easier to get.

11. noylj

noylj high desert Active Member

231/HP38 is very versatile. 4.9gn with a 115gn bullet is very good.
    Unique is the most versatile, up to cast bullet loads in rifles. 5.0-6.0gn Unique with a 115gn bullet works very well.
    For 9x19 specifically, I find Power Pistol is very hard to beat for accuracy and top performance.
    N330, Silhouette, and WSF are also very good, but not as good as Power Pistol. 540/HS6 has not been any where near as accurate.

12. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

Titegroup. In a .45ACP.

13. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Good point. I find the powder mfg. websites to be the most comprehensive. The bullet mfg. sites do NOT always have date for all their products. Compare data with published sources such as loading manuals.

14. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

What loads do you use for 9x19 ?

15. Stevenav

Stevenav Redmond Active Member

Stoneage,
    The best powder is what works best in your gun. Here's the deal, firearms are ALL a little different. Differences that add up to some powders being liked by one gun, and another gun of the same make liking a slightly different powder from a different manufacturer. Same gun, same manufacturer... different tastes in powder.

Mind you... this is why reloading manuals provide lots of combinations of powder for the same rounds.

You might find 20 different powders listed for a 115 grain bullet for your particular caliber and shell and one (or all, or a group of powders) might work super good, but some might also work crappy (residue and whatnot) and it's up to you to figure out which powder is best for your firearm.

I know, not super hejpful... I know... But it's the way it is. Think of a firearm as a person. Different people like food prepared different ways. That's how firearms behave.

So what do you do? You experiment. You buy a good powder, like accurate or similar, from the groups off your list in your reloading data sheet... one that has been experimented with by the manufacturers, and then try it out. Then you get another powder off the sheet and try IT out and see which one your gun likes better. Might take 50 or 100 rounds to see a marked difference or no diff at all. You might have a firearm that likes everything (a pig!) but you also might have a testy firearm that loves accurate and hates something else.

It's how it is I'm afraid.

16. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Your grains of "whatever powder" is also going to depend on what OAL you settle on. The powder charges everyone is offering up in the above posts do not include the OAL used. I use both Bullseye and Unique for my M&P FS9. I also use it for my sons Walther but, the OAL is shorter for the Walther and the charge is smaller. One size does not fit all. I drop one of my M&P rounds into the Walther chamber (with the barrel removed) and the projectile sticks into the lands.

17. Beta1759

Beta1759 Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i use titegroup. 4.1gr for the 115gr projectile.

Glock 34.

18. Stevenav

Stevenav Redmond Active Member

OAL only really affects feed, Bellarum, not pressure (which is the goal here). It's the speed of the burn of the powder, the primer ignition temps generated, and the weight and volume of the powder all in combination with the space in the case for expansion, and the overall weight of the projectile that determines the pressure generated and thus how much powder you use. OAL isn't really a factor on its own that affects how much powder you use.. its more a result. For example I reload 5.7x28, but a 40 gr hornady vs a 40gr speer have very different lengths and shapes. If I seat them to the same OAL I will get very different pressures from the same amount of powder because the 40g hornady vmax will seat deeper in the case and thus give less space for expansion but will also hold that bullet in longer in the case because it's seated deeper in the case.

19. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Wasn't #9 created specifically for the 9mm? Power pistol ALL the way.

20. TheGameMaster

TheGameMaster Portland, OR Member

If your cheap like me, tight group uses the least amount of powder to go bang accurately. bullseye is a second. w231/hp38 is the next cheapest. I do like all the smoke and bang from hs6, just fun to shoot. unique/promo and power pistol have moderate loadings in all pistol calibers.