JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go to: Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People
Enter the reloading data center.
Lots of loads for your rifle
BTW, 55 grains @3800 to 4000fs is a bit optimistic for the 22-250 at safe pressure levels.
The hv load that set off the shooting world was the 40 grain pill @4100fs in the 220 swift almost 80 yrs ago
and the 22-250 has less capacity than the 220.

Ramshot TAC will give you right around 3600 FPS at the muzzle with that bullet. It's a pretty awesome powder, I have been experimenting with it lately in .223 and .308 it does some really awesome stuff. Another good powder is varget, which performs great both in .223 and .308 not sure if it will meet your velocity expectation though. This powder is great because it is very temperature stable. Despite my preference for varget, I think TAC might be a real performer for you.

The manual lists 33gr of TAC with a 55gr VMAX.

<broken link removed>

Just to echo AMProducts. The TAC is great with a VMAX and does it at a healthy velocity. The 223 really likes it and the powder meters well, which is always conducive to consistent charges. Friend of mine bagged a coyote at about 200 yards last year with the loads I made up with TAC in the 22-250. Doesn't mean anything as to powder, but it was nice to see some results for the efforts.

A bit lately, but I've been shooting 22-250 since the 80's and I've never found a powder more accurate, for my gun, than H380 behind a Sierra BTHP. Just one man's experience.

Tinker, test, tinker, test and be safe.

:)

Olyshoots probably knows this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but "H380" is named exactly that as a result of the time-tested super-accurate load of
"38.0" grains of it in the .22-250.

Anyway. H380 is where I always start when messing with a .22-250 I've never played with before. Rarely do I have to try anything else.

Olyshoots probably knows this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but "H380" is named exactly that as a result of the time-tested super-accurate load of
"38.0" grains of it in the .22-250.

Anyway. H380 is where I always start when messing with a .22-250 I've never played with before. Rarely do I have to try anything else.

Spitpatch gives me too much credit. I didn't know that and if true, makes sense as that is the magic range for me. I tested quite a few powders with the 22.250 over the years, and none has ever been better than H380 and the most accurate load is 38-38.5 grains. Also, the BTHP was a significant improvement over non-BT bullets.

The best thing to do is buy a reloading manual and look for the highest velocities with the lowest pressures, that's a goog starting point.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top