JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try 48.0 grains Reloader 15, with a Federal 210 Gold Match Benchrest primer, and a 150g Nosler Ballistic Tip. 2933 fps chronographed out of my Kimber conversion 96 Swede Mauser. This is what allowed that gun to shoot cloverleaf groups. This is a warm high-velocity hunting load, and very accurate. Start lower, work up.

No offense Spitpatch, but Mustang make sure you verify any load data with at least one or more data manuals, and he is right on the money there BTW.
With the 26" barrel you can have an advantage of using a medium to slow powder as you'll get the advantage of pushing the bullet all the way down the barrel.
Most test data is for 24" test barrels and that doesn't always translate well to 16" or 18" barrel lengths, where a faster burning powder might be needed.
Just so I got a dog in this fight, and to make it more confusing, I really like the results I've been getting with Hogdon Varget, in other calibers as well.
Funny thing is all three of the powders mentioned fall almost right next to each other on the burn rate chart and should perform similarly.
They all have data for both weights of bullet as well, so you should be able to use the same powder for both of your loads.
On a side note, Speer recommends using Magnum primers on the 748, but not on the other two.
Good luck to your wife punching holes with the new gun!

I have had very good luck with Varget in my Savage with 168gr's, I load 46gr which is the max puplished load, so work your way up to that, but it shoots extremely well. I also use 43gr of H4895 with 168's in my M1A and they work well also.

wg

No offense Spitpatch, but Mustang make sure you verify any load data with at least one or more data manuals, and he is right on the money there BTW.
With the 26" barrel you can have an advantage of using a medium to slow powder as you'll get the advantage of pushing the bullet all the way down the barrel.
Most test data is for 24" test barrels and that doesn't always translate well to 16" or 18" barrel lengths, where a faster burning powder might be needed.
Just so I got a dog in this fight, and to make it more confusing, I really like the results I've been getting with Hogdon Varget, in other calibers as well.
Funny thing is all three of the powders mentioned fall almost right next to each other on the burn rate chart and should perform similarly.
They all have data for both weights of bullet as well, so you should be able to use the same powder for both of your loads.
On a side note, Speer recommends using Magnum primers on the 748, but not on the other two.
Good luck to your wife punching holes with the new gun!

This is why I never give charge weights. As far as 748, I have only used standard primers (5.56/7.62 NATO/30-06) and it shoots great..

Thanks for the input. I use H4895 for the 30-06 in our Garands and just got 16lbs of Varget on a fluke when a fellow shooter bought it and then changed his mind and sold for less than he paid for it. I have never used Varget so think I will work up a few loads in the .308 and see how it does.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top