JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had an inexpensive 270 rifle on consignment at my local sporting goods store since September. I think it's priced right but no action.
Perhaps people aren't interested in that caliber, want something like an AR or a higher end rifle. Should I list it somewhere else? In the $400-$450 range I just thought that if I had to ship it via an FFL it would seriously eat it into the negligible proceeds.

Not trying to sell it here, just giving the specs.
Very lightly used Marlin 270 bolt-action rifle
Marlin XL7 Bolt 270 Win 22" Blue Synthetic Right Hand 4Rd 70381

Action - Bolt
Barrel Length - 22"
Capacity - 4Rd
Finish/Color - Blue
Caliber - 270 Win
Grips/Stock - Synthetic
Hand - Right Hand
Manufacturer - Marlin
Manufacturer part # - 70381
Model - XL7

Example:

Scope is this one or similar: Vortex Optics Crossfire II Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescopes 3-9 power

Those are nice rifles...
But in regards to selling firearms....firearm buyers are a fickle lot...and just what is a hot selling rifle at one time and place...may not be one later.

Right now it seems like AR15 type rifles are all the rage and more traditional hunting type rifles are poor sellers.
( Not that you can't hunt with a AR15 type rifle...many do and the rifle works fine for that )

Maybe closer to hunting season you will get more interest...
Andy

Maybe closer to hunting season you will get more interest...

I don't know much, but I do know this ^^ is the absolute truth! List it here, and on what ever WA based/Sound based discussion forum classifieds you have, around July.

A quick check on Gun Broker doesn't look good for you getting anywhere near $400.00, at this time anyway. If you didn't know, you need to register at Gun Broker and you can look at completed auctions/sales. Bleak now but later in the year could change

Puzzled, why not list it here? NWF is after all a GUN forum and its free...:oops:

I agree and basically you're out nothing to post an ad here. But if the rifle is currently on consignment, the consignment would need to be settled before the OP chose to do the selling himself. I once had a handgun on consignment in Forest Grove and it was getting action alright, the guy said that "everybody" wanted to check it out, but no body was buying.... Then I had to pay a transfer fee to get my own gun back?!??
Consignment sale?
Pros: Hands free dealing. They call you and you pick up your money once it sells.
Cons: Less money compared to selling it yourself because you are paying someone to do your dirty work.

Honestly, while a good gun for sure, the Marlin bolt action rifles (of all kinds) hold damn near zero value. They aren't a popular item. The membership here seems to have a higher percentage of interest in tactical types of arms with a smaller faction interested in the old school guns and ways, including traditional types of hunting. I've bought and sold a handful guns here and the bolt action rifles, with rare exceptions, were the slowest to sell (a nice single shot 45-70 was the worst...). It doesn't help that it's so easy and inexpensive to go buy a brand new rifle/scope combo. "Why buy used when you can get new?" Before the Background/Transfer fee BS it was cheaper and easier. Now it's a pain in the butt.
Selling your gun on here?
Pros: You're going to get all the money your gun brings.
Cons: it's not going to be a lot and it's going to take a while.

Waiting for hunting season will help as will lowering the price. I'd bring it home, throw an ad up here with a lower price and list possible trade interests.

Sadly you listed a hunting rifle almost too late for the intended purpose.
You can list here for free and get more eyeballs on it per week than at the gun store.

Photos help, and you can always deal direct with the buyer, cutting out the middle man. You'll also have the option to consider offers which can put it closer to actual market value.

I'll be the turd here.
Marlin XL7s, while excellent rifles, have nothing special or sexy about them. They scream "budget rifle."
Another issue that may be harming you - not sure if they are still available there, but they were at CDNNInvestments.com for $249 for the better part of 4 years. I picked up one in 7mm-08 for my daughter.
Take a look at what they are next to in the rack. If there's a Remy 721 in 270 or '-06, the 721 will probably be cheaper, feels and looks much better, though might not be as accurate.
They're a great beater rifle to teach a kid to shoot. The bluing is rubbish, more like phosphating. If you don't rub it with oil before putting it in the safe, there's a good chance it will rust.

Thanks for the feedback. I may just pick it up and start shooting it. I no longer hunt. Originally it was mainly for the off chance of a cougar or coyote in my yard eyeing my chickens, dogs ( or grandkids ). Also get the occasional black bear out here, raiding bird feeders and trying to grab a chicken. The way things are going, hard to tell what else may be wandering up to my house. :)
The only other gun in the house now is my 9mm pistol and a pump pellet rifle.

Thanks for the feedback. I may just pick it up and start shooting it. I no longer hunt. Originally it was mainly for the off chance of a cougar or coyote in my yard eyeing my chickens, dogs ( or grandkids ). Also get the occasional black bear out here, raiding bird feeders and trying to grab a chicken. The way things are going, hard to tell what else may be wandering up to my house. :)
The only other gun in the house now is my 9mm pistol and a pump pellet rifle.
If it's not that important that you sell this rifle for the $$, it's probably a good one to hang onto. At least you have a viable, working rifle that has several uses. Never know when some kid needs a rifle to hunt with. :D

Never know when some kid needs a rifle to hunt with.

See, that's what I'm thinking. I had a basic, quality, older deer rifle that had few rounds through it, but carried and a little dinged up. It was a bit of a slow sell, but a few weeks before hunting season a guy bought it for his kid's first hunting season.

See, that's what I'm thinking. I had a basic, quality, older deer rifle that had few rounds through it, but carried and a little dinged up. It was a bit of a slow sell, but a few weeks before hunting season a guy bought it for his kid's first hunting season.
The OP did mention grandkids...

I've had an inexpensive 270 rifle on consignment at my local sporting goods store since September. I think it's priced right but no action.
Perhaps people aren't interested in that caliber, want something like an AR or a higher end rifle. Should I list it somewhere else? In the $400-$450 range I just thought that if I had to ship it via an FFL it would seriously eat it into the negligible proceeds.

Not trying to sell it here, just giving the specs.
Very lightly used Marlin 270 bolt-action rifle
Marlin XL7 Bolt 270 Win 22" Blue Synthetic Right Hand 4Rd 70381

Action - Bolt
Barrel Length - 22"
Capacity - 4Rd
Finish/Color - Blue
Caliber - 270 Win
Grips/Stock - Synthetic
Hand - Right Hand
Manufacturer - Marlin
Manufacturer part # - 70381
Model - XL7

Example:

Scope is this one or similar: Vortex Optics Crossfire II Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescopes 3-9 power
I bought my XL-7 in 30-06 for $280 at BiMart. Maybe try lowering the price and if we have a hunting season maybe somebody will pick it up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top