JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can get heirloom seeds and hybrids that are well suited to our Maritime climate at Territorial seeds. If you are a tomato lover, I recommend Cherokee Purple tomatoes, they look a little gnarly with a green shoulder, but the flavor and texture is the best ever for a tomato. Yield is skimpy.
Also try Matt's Wild Cherry for the most amazing old fashioned tomato flavor in a really tiny tomato.

All the best,
Tom

I suggest taking a "trial and error" approach with heirloom seeds (or non-heirloom for that matter). Try different varieties from different sources and see which ones produce the best, taste the best, etc. I've used the following (with good results):

Seeds of Change Homepage
Diane's Flower Seeds: Heirloom Flower Seeds
Territorial Seed - Vegetable Seed, Flower Seed, and Herb Seed at Territorial Seed Company

Diane's says "flower seeds," but they also have heirloom vegetable seeds (lots of tomato seeds).

Baker Creek Heirloom seeds out of Missouri Hands down!!!

All that they have is rare Heirlooms at amazing prices

I have ordered from them for 5 years great results

I was also wanting to save the Heirloom seeds for SHTF options. How long will most seeds last??

I think it depends on the seed and variety, I think the best is air tight containers in a cool place, I bought a book called "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth, has all the info on saving seeds. You might also try your health food market for seeds, many of them carry organic non GMO and Heirloom seeds from local growers

got mine this year from "Bountiful Garden" there out of willets northern Cali and great service, 100% germination rate, and they even called this summer to check on how certain types were doing and asked for input. other than them I use Territorial Seeds:s0155:

Anyone know a good place to buy a variety of locally grown heirloom seeds in Oregon, without having to order and pay shipping? In or around the Portland area?

Anyone know a good place to buy a variety of locally grown heirloom seeds in Oregon, without having to order and pay shipping? In or around the Portland area?
Territorial had a booth at one of the garden shows earlier this year. Didn't have to pay shipping, but admission instead. (We were going anyway, so the admission wasn't *extra*.)

MrB+

Portland Nursery has a very good selection of seeds. There are two locations, one on Stark and one on Division and 92nd. I don't know how many of the seeds are locally produced.
There is an ad on craigslist that claims to have heritage seeds acclimated to our area.
Hopefully we will have a better year for tomatoes than the last one.
Good luck,
Tom

Seeds can last 3-5 years on average. I tend to plant what I'm putting away and harvest a new crop of seeds each season, rotating the oldest out as I have new 'stock'. Remember that only 80% of seeds will sprout in the first place so keep 2-5 times the amount you've slated as your minimum.

Another Vote for Territorial Seed Co. They are local and have been around forever. If you are interested it is well worth your time to order a free catalog from them. High quality seeds and great/knowledgeable people to deal with.

Seeds can last 3-5 years on average. I tend to plant what I'm putting away and harvest a new crop of seeds each season, rotating the oldest out as I have new 'stock'. Remember that only 80% of seeds will sprout in the first place so keep 2-5 times the amount you've slated as your minimum.

I do the very same. Some of my seed varieties have been in the family for a long time.

You can get heirloom seeds and hybrids that are well suited to our Maritime climate at Territorial seeds. If you are a tomato lover, I recommend Cherokee Purple tomatoes, they look a little gnarly with a green shoulder, but the flavor and texture is the best ever for a tomato. Yield is skimpy.
Also try Matt's Wild Cherry for the most amazing old fashioned tomato flavor in a really tiny tomato.

All the best,
Tom

I second that - Territorial has really good stuff for around here.

Bryce

On the same line here it's been my experience deer love thing like clover, carrots, beets and willeven green beans in harsh winters, Planting extra to leave for them will help ensure a healthy population for meat stores. Another off sublect note deer like mineral licks and go absolutely crazy over deer cane and can be bought at a discount right now, I have picked up few bags and put away incase i have to do a mineral bait station to get meat to eat. one bag or bottle will draw deer to the area for a months to come.

Good idea on planting a few things to attract/deter wildlife from your own crops. Never thought of that. I planted snap peas one year and the deer went crazy over them and went out of their way to hop in the yard and get them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top