JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Living in Tualatin, I naturally go to Cabelas for powder. However I've noticed how everything is more expensive at Cabelas & they are always out of stock. Annoying!

Since ordering online requires those awful hazmat fees, where do all of you experienced reloaders buy powder? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Brownells is having a special today (code VBE) - free shipping and only 1 cent hazmat for $150+ of powders and/or primers.

Other than that, you can check BiMart and Sportsmans Warehouse.

Living in Tualatin, I naturally go to Cabelas for powder. However I've noticed how everything is more expensive at Cabelas & they are always out of stock. Annoying!

Since ordering online requires those awful hazmat fees, where do all of you experienced reloaders buy powder? Thanks in advance for all your answers.
I search and wait for good deals online @ multiple 3-4 pounds an order. Rare but sometimes, I get subsidized Hazmet or shipping too! Even with the fees, I usually do better or at least break even with local retail but mainly online because I cant find what I want in local Brick and mortar.

I wouldn't go to Cabelas (nor Dicks for that mater) if you paid me, regardless of the sale.
Oh!, As to where, I've found sales over the years many places, among some of them are:
Powder valley, Midsouth, More recently Brownells (They give me FFL discount there), Midway, sometimes even Graf & Sons will discount.

Last Edited:

Sportsman's has seemed to have quite the assortment. Prices are high compared to Bimart though. Bimart doesn't have as many powders I don't think.

Brownells is having a special today (code VBE) - free shipping and only 1 cent hazmat for $150+ of powders and/or primers.

Other than that, you can check BiMart and Sportsmans Warehouse.
I would have spent a couple hundred dollars there today if they'd had the rifle powder I've been looking for.:(

Wal-Mart carries Powder not much variety but if you ask the sporting good mgr they can get you specific powders
you can also order rifles any brand and caliber they have catalogs full of them they do layaway too

Wal-Mart carries Powder not much variety but if you ask the sporting good mgr they can get you specific powders
you can also order rifles any brand and caliber they have catalogs full of them they do layaway too

That's good to know. I think someone here said that their Bimart wouldn't special order powder for them?

Very interesting. For some reason I thought I remembered them saying they won't do 8lb kegs though. Is this correct?

I generally buy powder here in the classifieds from known trusted sellers.
One does not know how big box retailers store their powder inventory so I would trust a few members here before paying taxes, hazmat fees or shipping online..... But don't be hoarders, spread the resources around.:D

A lot of places that sell powder online have sales that wave the hazmat or remove it if you buy a certain amount. I typically buy from Midsouth Shooter's Supply, Powder Valley, Grafs and a few others.

I generally buy powder here in the classifieds from known trusted sellers.
One does not know how big box retailers store their powder inventory so I would trust a few members here before paying taxes, hazmat fees or shipping online..... But don't be hoarders, spread the resources around.:D

Out of curiosity, what do you think is objectionable? Short of keeping it opened (hygroscopic), my understanding is powder is pretty stable and immune to temperature fluctuations impacting it's viability.

I keep mine in the garage where my reloading bench is and haven't seemed to encounter any issues even with stuff years old...

I should have mentioned along with how they store is to how long it's been stored in different conditions. Like temperature swings, humidity and things like that.

I like to buy powder in lots, they are generally stored in the same environment. In reality there is no way we can honestly know how they're stored before we get them.

A lot of places that sell powder online have sales that wave the hazmat or remove it if you buy a certain amount. I typically buy from Midsouth Shooter's Supply, Powder Valley, Grafs and a few others.
Yep. Brownells just had one of those sales. Too bad they didn't have any of the powder I was looking for....

Out of curiosity, what do you think is objectionable? Short of keeping it opened (hygroscopic), my understanding is powder is pretty stable and immune to temperature fluctuations impacting it's viability.

I keep mine in the garage where my reloading bench is and haven't seemed to encounter any issues even with stuff years old...
I think it's generally accepted heat and humidity are enemies of primers and powder. That said, they're still pretty resilient!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top