JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,
I live in Oregon and want to get my Washington concealed carry permit. I am wondering if any particular city or county is easier to deal with or more likely to get my permit to me more quickly? If there is already a thread that answers this please direct me to it.
Thanks! :)

Just print up the application on line, go to the Clark Co. sheriff's dept. with $60, and that's about it. the Sheriff's dept. is right behind the Courthouse in downtown Vancouver (4th & Franklin I think). Usually a cadet behind the counter, who will start your paperwork and tell you to go downstairs to pay the cashier. You then bring him the receipt, get fingerprinted, and within 60 days (because you are non-res) you get it in the mail. It is SUPER easy for a non-resident to get a CHP in WA. I wish it were that easy for us to get one in OR.... :(

I wish it was easier for out of state folks to get permits down here too, or better still I wish we weren't required to get permits at all! :)

I'll probably end up just going to the Clark County Sheriff's Office like you suggest but I'm still wondering if it's easier or quicker to get it anywhere else? I've heard that that down here there seems to be at least a bit of a difference in how CHL permit processing is handled by different counties...

Just print up the application on line, go to the Clark Co. sheriff's dept. with $60, and that's about it. the Sheriff's dept. is right behind the Courthouse in downtown Vancouver (4th & Franklin I think). Usually a cadet behind the counter, who will start your paperwork and tell you to go downstairs to pay the cashier. You then bring him the receipt, get fingerprinted, and within 60 days (because you are non-res) you get it in the mail. It is SUPER easy for a non-resident to get a CHP in WA. I wish it were that easy for us to get one in OR.... :(

+1. The Clark County people are very pleasant and easy to deal with.

Though, I would say that having an Oregon, Washington and Utah permit does show that you are 100% protected in the state you are traveling around.

Just to be safe that is,
M

So...in Clark Co. there is no firearms class requirement? I have prior military training, so in Oregon that was sufficient and no class was needed. THis was back in the mid-90s though, maybe its changed. Do I just bring in ID, SSN, DD-214 and that's it? Anything else? I spend alot of time in WA working, so it would be a good thing to have in my pocket.

Keith

So...in Clark Co. there is no firearms class requirement? I have prior military training, so in Oregon that was sufficient and no class was needed. THis was back in the mid-90s though, maybe its changed. Do I just bring in ID, SSN, DD-214 and that's it? Anything else? I spend alot of time in WA working, so it would be a good thing to have in my pocket.

Keith

You should look up the current requirements on their website, but when I got mine there (8 or 9 years ago), all I had to do was produce my Oregon Driver's License and fill out their application. No proof of training requirement or DD-214 needed. They fingerprint you and take your money. At the time, no SSN was "required" although they tried hard to get mine. I have not been asked for any additional information when I renewed. The only problem I had was finding a place to park :)

Just go to the class and get a Utah Permit then you can use it in Washington and over 30 other states

This can be a little misleading...
While the Utah permit is widely accepted, not all states accepting it are accepting the Utah Non-Resident permit.

By my last count, the Utah non-resident permit was accepted by 29 states. Being a Washington resident, I'm still required to have my home state permit which left 28 states accepting my Utah non-resident permit. And I still had to get an Oregon permit since Oregon doesn't accept any permit but their own :(

Having permits for WA, OR, and UT allows me CCW in exactly 30 states which still does not include Colorado.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top