JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am an individual private citizen without an FFL and I would like some advice from, what I consider to be the most informed group of people on this subject that I know of, on the subject of reselling firearms.
I have heard that without a doubt private party sales are the best when it comes to getting best return on your investment. But the problems of schedules, locations, etc. seem at times to be insurmountable.
Pawnshops have overhead and act as a middleman, and I don't begrudge them needing to make a profit in the least.
The same goes for gun shops, but the last store that I dealt with in this regard gave me only $200.00 trade on a gun that I saw in the case a week later listed for $550.00. This may very well be normal, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I have heard that gun shows are good possibility, but as a private party how can I go about selling my firearms if I cannot perform a background check?

So, my question is: what is the best way to sell/trade firearms and get the best deal possible? are there any recommendations for specific shops? Other than NFW are there any other websites that you can recommend?

I'm sorry for the long post. I appreciate any and all replies.

Thanks! Ernie

You can sell at gun shows without an FFL. As a Oregon citizen you can call the OSP and perform a BGC on a buyer for $10. The only hitch is you have to be at a Gun Show when you make the transaction and perform BGC.
I did two transactions a week ago at the Eugene Gun Show.

Here is a link to the form that you must keep for your records for 5 years.
<broken link removed>

As far as gun shops are concerned it is common for them to give 50% or less of what they will sell it for. They have the risk and overhead and may end up sitting on the gin for months. I can see how it would leave a bad taste, however it is the cost of doing business, do not take it personally.

Good luck!

I have heard that without a doubt private party sales are the best when it comes to getting best return on your investment. But the problems of schedules, locations, etc. seem at times to be insurmountable.
Selling at a gun show is going to eat up a big chunk of your schedule.

My suggestion....

1) Find an FFL that you like and will do a private-to-private firearms transfer for you.

2) Place your ad here and meet buyer at this FFL of your choosing.

3) Buyer typically pays all transfer fees unless you want to sweeten the deal and help
with fees.

4) Clearly delineate in your ad on how/where you would like to do the sale.

5) Don't accept personal checks from strangers.

Good luck with the sale !

I would sell it on gunbroker.com.
I've used them a couple times and had good experiences both times.
It's basically an ebay for firearms.

They do take a small percentage but it's not much.
If selling a firearm you will have to have them set up an ffl to ship the firearm to, and make sure you get a copy of their ffl.

It's an easy process and other that the acct set up, and maybe a couple emails. The only real time your out is shipping an item out.

You need to be able to take very good pictures if you want the best prices when selling in an online auction.
There is a gun consignment business in Hillsboro that sells firearms online that goes by the name of "Jack the Dog".
Take a look at how good his pics are and all of his auction prices generally bring in 20% or more then anyone else.
I've passed up bidding on a lot of online guns because of lousy pics. Too much doubt in my mind.

All the above is good advice. A couple of things to consider; many Gunbroker buyers won't deal with someone without feedback. I know, how do you get feedback if you don't have feedback, but that's the way it is.
You are in Portland so you have pretty good market exposure from this website. Also I feel a little more trust when dealing with someone who is a part of this community. If you are selling a fairly common item, i.e. a Glock 19, odds are you will get as much for it here, if not more, than Gunbroker. If it is something really rare, i.e. Walch Navy 12-shot revolver (look it up), Gunbroker is the only way to go.
There are a number of gun shops around that will do the transfer for you without having to travel too far and most people interested in a purchase will find the time to get there.
Usually if you take a gun to a show to sell, most of the buyers you meet have tables there and are expecting to buy at wholesale prices, either because they are going to resell it or they know they can find one for that eventually. The odds of finding someone walking around looking for what you have to sell are small.
Pictures!! GOOD pictures can't be stressed enough!! Not quite as important here where you are going to set up a face-to-face sale, but absolutely critical for Gunbroker.
One thing SB941 and I594 have done is take away some of the trepidation about selling across state lines. Since you are in Portland, a trip to Vancouver to do the transfer is probably not too far out of the way. Just did this yesterday. Before those pieces of feces were enacted most people wouldn't bother crossing the border. Now that a transfer is necessary no matter what it has opened up the markets a bit.
Whatever you decide, good luck!!

Any further questions feel free to ask.

Some of us have a couple transactions and some have more than we can count on and off the record.

Time is ALWAYS valuable and selling to a member on here with positive feedback will never be a waste of time. Very, very rare occasions when the inevitable happens.

Good photos
Lost in classifieds
Complete details from condition to where to meet
Accept PM's and set up times that's convenient for both.

If price is fair it will sell fast.

Last Edited:
All the above is good advice. A couple of things to consider; many Gunbroker buyers won't deal with someone without feedback. I know, how do you get feedback if you don't have feedback, but that's the way it is.
You are in Portland so you have pretty good market exposure from this website. Also I feel a little more trust when dealing with someone who is a part of this community. If you are selling a fairly common item, i.e. a Glock 19, odds are you will get as much for it here, if not more, than Gunbroker. If it is something really rare, i.e. Walch Navy 12-shot revolver (look it up), Gunbroker is the only way to go.
There are a number of gun shops around that will do the transfer for you without having to travel too far and most people interested in a purchase will find the time to get there.
Usually if you take a gun to a show to sell, most of the buyers you meet have tables there and are expecting to buy at wholesale prices, either because they are going to resell it or they know they can find one for that eventually. The odds of finding someone walking around looking for what you have to sell are small.
Pictures!! GOOD pictures can't be stressed enough!! Not quite as important here where you are going to set up a face-to-face sale, but absolutely critical for Gunbroker.
One thing SB941 and I594 have done is take away some of the trepidation about selling across state lines. Since you are in Portland, a trip to Vancouver to do the transfer is probably not too far out of the way. Just did this yesterday. Before those pieces of feces were enacted most people wouldn't bother crossing the border. Now that a transfer is necessary no matter what it has opened up the markets a bit.
Whatever you decide, good luck!!
Very good post !

One more thing I'll add about Gunbroker.
The little guys can't/won't take a credit card and want a USPS money order.
I for one am not comfortable at all sending money orders to perfect strangers.
I like the protection that a credit card brings to the party.

Thank you for all of your help! I'm unfamiliar with the rules:sb941 and 1594. Looks like I have some googling to do.
Another vote for doing it on line with the idea of meeting at an FFL. Sadly the new law making it go through a dealer put a real crimp on this. As mentioned I too like Gun Broker and have bought from them. I too would NEVER send any form of payment this way though other than a credit card. So that limits you. The classifieds here seem VERY nice. Buddy of mine sold here recently and said it was great. Find a local FFL who will do the check and transfer and find out how much. Then you will know what to ask for the gun.

Now you can consign the gun at a dealer. That may only cost 10% instead of 50%. Then the gun gets traffic and the dealer does the check,that's part of his percentage.
Folks on here can tell you who to go to and who to avoid in your area.
If you want top dollar and aren't in a hurry you price the gun. If you want to sell it but not loose lots let them price it. Sometimes folks want what the gun is worth and then add the 10% the dealer wants. The gun sits there for years
If you have the dealer tell you what the gun will sell for it will probably sell. Hey if they price it low they make less.
If you price it high nobody makes anything

I would sell it on gunbroker.com

+1. Selling off items, or buying them, from Gunbroker is a breeze. I've used them for years without issue. The fees for a seller are a little higher than other sites, but not prohibitively so.

I used to use AuctionArms (now GunAuctions). Back in the day it was pretty good and I had little issue up until the last few years. However, they were plagued with some technical issues for a short while and the number of listings declined. The final straw was a string of deadbeat buyers, an endless parade of tire-kickers, and one seller that grossly misrepresented an item. I finally had enough and abandoned the site for GB for all firearm auctions.

YMMV.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top