JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would take her to a gun show or a large shop and let her handle as many different guns as possible. Go for proper fit first, then caliber. Many defense guns that are available in .22 also come in larger varieties. If the gun isn't comfortable to her, she won't want to shoot it.

of course she needs to try out and decide. I made the mistake of getting my wife a j-frame 38. She is small and hated everything about the ergonomics and recoil from the light gun. Not to mention her accuracy was poor. Now she uses a Glock 26 and loves it, accurate and quick follow up shots. She tried the model 19 as well but seemed to be more comfortable with the 26. Surprisingly low recoil for such a small gun.

I say have her try a variety of guns from a .380 to 9mm. Something of note with semi-autos, make sure she can comfortably rack the slide and perform tap and rack drills. Some women have issued with the slide on a semi. The best advice in that I heard was not to pull the slide back - but to hold the slide firmly in the top hand and push on the frame with the strong hand. This tip did wonders for my wife.

The way we do it around our house is that I will get a gun that I really like. My wife will ask to shoot it. If she likes it, it becomes "Our" gun, then later "Her" gun. It works out well because I keep getting new guns. :s0155:

I picked up a Taurus 605 (2" .357) for $300 a couple years ago for my wife. She didn't try it out though. She just knew she didn't want a semi-auto because of having a hard time racking the slide. So I got the Taurus and let her try it... unfortunately she likes it and it is now her gun:( I still get to shoot it sometimes though. Anywho, if you find a gun you wouldn't mind owning and it's at a reasonable price get it. If she doesn't like it you can keep or sell it again.

I'm somewhere between an FN Five Seven and letting her go to Clackamas PSTC and choose herself. By the way, the lane fee is $10 off for first timers.

If I get her the FN and she doesnt like it, I get to shoot it. If she likes it, I still get to shoot it AND something else ;)

mine wanted the Bersa 380cc
bersa%20380cc-2.jpg

so that is what it got.
If I had my choice she would carry this:
arpistol001.jpg

The one thing everyone agrees on is she should choose her own pistol...
when we go to let her chose her own pistol which ones should she consider?

-Steve

steve i feel your pain, a while back i was in the same boat as you trying to find a gun for a lady. Nobody would give me a straight answer, or much of an answer besides one of two things 1. let her decide (till their blue in the face) 2. .38 snub cause theirs well nothing to it but pulling the trigger

I was trying to find something that would be a range gun, but still be viable as a house gun..... most importantly easing her into the idea of owning, carrying and being competent/confident with a defensive hand gun. It sounds like that's where you're going with this.

[the right way]
The first thing i did when i was outfitting my woman, was take her to as many gun shops as possible, and look at the cases for a couple of minutes. You're going to have to swallow some man pride, glocks aren't always cute. I had to face the facts my girlfriend is still a girl, so if she says glocks are ugly and i say they have an outstanding track record of reliability, i still lose. Kinda like when they pick out cars. Another thing i noticed is if its cool to us guys its probably fairly intimidating to the misses, which is counter productive in the getting her comfortable/confident department.

Next after she's picked out the cute ones, by all means get her hands on them. Let her hold them for a while in a firing stance, to make sure her arms aren't going to be uncomfortable after round 12. Have her do all the normal stuff, see how it points and so on. Did i mention handle everything.

After that get to a range that rents, hit up your buddies to borrow guns, everything you can get a hold of to find something she likes. only shooting the gun for sure can she make an informed decision. If your like me the only range in that rents in the area, has sigs and glocks and a big punch bowl in the lobby. this is were your buddies come in or even just friendly people at the range. Shoot shoot shoot. then buy
[/the right way]
Now the bad news unless she likes glocks, your probably going to be hard pressed to find a really wide selection to rent.

What i did, was after she determined what was cute and what style of grip she liked, i scoured the internet to find as many pictures, style models option aftermarket grips i could.....i claimed it was harder than doing the dishes:D

when we went shooting i got a feel for the amount of recoil she was comfortable with.

With all that in mind i started making a short list of the must haves

all steel frame
medium/large palmswell
9mm
compact grip
houge wraparounds

what i ended up with was a cz 75 compact, yeah i know she'd never shot how could i possibly do that blah blah. Fact of the matter is i'd never shot one either but i did have one in .40 which was very controllable. 9mm would obliviously be in her ability. the grip fit her hand well, and with some handy work i can make some houge's fit. Long of the short she loves it, i still have to save for a sig p228 but the cz was half the price and that leaves money for gun food.

The list of 9mm auto's that my gf liked
p228/9
cz 75 compact
witness compact
kahr m/k9
beretta 9
hi powers

I'd recommend looking for all steel frame to absorb recoil and what every grip she likes whether it be the smith auto or something more like a cz. Steels in 9mm are usually pretty tame and ammo is better than a 380. no keltecs or lcp's as a first gun. Get the lasers, it helps with the confindence but don't forget to turn them off more than on.

and she shoots my .38 snub and likes it....... happy hunting

I would go to a gun range or find people on here who have the guns you have narrowed down to and let her decided.

Other words you want something light, and doesn't kick a lot. Most important you want her to be comfortable using it, something she can shoot straight, and something that is easy to use.

A revolver would be the easiest to use and you can get it in light weight models. Making it ver appealing to women, However, if getting it in 38spc or .357 will kick more than she may want.

The bersa .380 will kick a little less but will be a little harder to get used to and I heard there not very accruate (never shot one myself) but will be cheap?

Good luck

steve i feel your pain, a while back i was in the same boat as you trying to find a gun for a lady. Nobody would give me a straight answer, or much of an answer besides one of two things 1. let her decide (till their blue in the face) 2. .38 snub cause theirs well nothing to it but pulling the trigger

I was trying to find something that would be a range gun, but still be viable as a house gun..... most importantly easing her into the idea of owning, carrying and being competent/confident with a defensive hand gun. It sounds like that's where you're going with this.

[the right way]
The first thing i did when i was outfitting my woman, was take her to as many gun shops as possible, and look at the cases for a couple of minutes. You're going to have to swallow some man pride, glocks aren't always cute. I had to face the facts my girlfriend is still a girl, so if she says glocks are ugly and i say they have an outstanding track record of reliability, i still lose. Kinda like when they pick out cars. Another thing i noticed is if its cool to us guys its probably fairly intimidating to the misses, which is counter productive in the getting her comfortable/confident department.

Next after she's picked out the cute ones, by all means get her hands on them. Let her hold them for a while in a firing stance, to make sure her arms aren't going to be uncomfortable after round 12. Have her do all the normal stuff, see how it points and so on. Did i mention handle everything.

After that get to a range that rents, hit up your buddies to borrow guns, everything you can get a hold of to find something she likes. only shooting the gun for sure can she make an informed decision. If your like me the only range in that rents in the area, has sigs and glocks and a big punch bowl in the lobby. this is were your buddies come in or even just friendly people at the range. Shoot shoot shoot. then buy
[/the right way]
Now the bad news unless she likes glocks, your probably going to be hard pressed to find a really wide selection to rent.

What i did, was after she determined what was cute and what style of grip she liked, i scoured the internet to find as many pictures, style models option aftermarket grips i could.....i claimed it was harder than doing the dishes:D

when we went shooting i got a feel for the amount of recoil she was comfortable with.

With all that in mind i started making a short list of the must haves

all steel frame
medium/large palmswell
9mm
compact grip
houge wraparounds

what i ended up with was a cz 75 compact, yeah i know she'd never shot how could i possibly do that blah blah. Fact of the matter is i'd never shot one either but i did have one in .40 which was very controllable. 9mm would obliviously be in her ability. the grip fit her hand well, and with some handy work i can make some houge's fit. Long of the short she loves it, i still have to save for a sig p228 but the cz was half the price and that leaves money for gun food.

The list of 9mm auto's that my gf liked
p228/9
cz 75 compact
witness compact
kahr m/k9
beretta 9
hi powers

I'd recommend looking for all steel frame to absorb recoil and what every grip she likes whether it be the smith auto or something more like a cz. Steels in 9mm are usually pretty tame and ammo is better than a 380. no keltecs or lcp's as a first gun. Get the lasers, it helps with the confindence but don't forget to turn them off more than on.

and she shoots my .38 snub and likes it....... happy hunting

Nice! Thanks for the post, sounds like you have a girlfriend you plan on keeping around.
I on the other hand have a wife that I have been married to for 15 years and dont really want to go to every gun shop in town and go rent a bunch of guns and listen to her bubblegum the whole time. (just kidding...kind of kidding anyway)
So I went against all advice and bought her a 9mm without her ever shooting one. It will be under the tree and hopefully she will be suprised and hopefully she wont use it on me!
I think she will like it, she can upgrade someday if and when she decides to.
I'll shot it or trade it if she doesnt like it. So Christmas starts a hole new shooting adventure for us, maybe we will both renew our concealed permits and spend more time at the range...
Or maybe there will be another 9mm up for sale on here soon.

-Steve

See, my plan is, get guns for me, but of course allow the better half to try them out, and if she likes one, then it's hers, and if not, I keep it. It's win/win basically.

Nice! Thanks for the post, sounds like you have a girlfriend you plan on keeping around.
I on the other hand have a wife that I have been married to for 15 years and dont really want to go to every gun shop in town and go rent a bunch of guns and listen to her bubblegum the whole time. (just kidding...kind of kidding anyway)
So I went against all advice and bought her a 9mm without her ever shooting one. It will be under the tree and hopefully she will be suprised and hopefully she wont use it on me!
I think she will like it, she can upgrade someday if and when she decides to.
I'll shot it or trade it if she doesnt like it. So Christmas starts a hole new shooting adventure for us, maybe we will both renew our concealed permits and spend more time at the range...
Or maybe there will be another 9mm up for sale on here soon.

-Steve
well what'd you get?

I bought the S&W Sigma 9mm, on sale at Kieths. To good of a deal to pass up. If she doesnt like it I will have a spare toy and won't be out much money.
Seems like alot of pistol for the price, I know I will have to lighten the trigger but that seems like a simple procedure. We will see if she likes it, atleast this way it will be a suprise Christmas gift. Maybe next years Christmas will be and upgraded version?
-Steve

One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread (although it could have been)...

You MIGHT want to consider "smallish" .38/357 DAO "hammerless" revolver because MOST women carry a purse, that way she could walk around when she felt the need to with her hand in her purse holding the revolver ready to go and just shoot the thing right through the front of the purse without having to "draw" it out, and if not needed nobody will ever know she has it... what a practical-tactical adavantage!!

No safety levers to fumble with under stress, nothing to get snagged on in all the "essential struff" they carry in those cursed contraptions they call a woman's purse, not to mention an auto-loader's action would be a no-go inside a purse with that technique.

I'm just sayin'...

Do both yourself and your wife a big favor...........Have your wife select the firearm that she might have to use to defend her life. High end Lasers are a great addition that many woman like......once again let her make the call.

my wife is 5'1" and 95 lbs. We couldent find a 38 or 357 that would fit her. so She went with a Walther P22. Most people think a 22lr is not enought for self defence, but If you are not confterable and cannot acuratly shoot your gun you might as whell not carry one. A 22lr with 10 bullets can kill a person, no question about it. little recoil, very accurate, and you can practice all day long for $20.

I have a few CC guns and I almost always prefer to carry my 22lr. It is lighter and more confterable. If I am not confterabe I might leave it at home the day I need it.

Good luck,
But you pick a gun out for her make sure it is something you will like, just in case she doesnt.

my wife is 5'1" and 95 lbs. We couldent find a 38 or 357 that would fit her. so She went with a Walther P22. Most people think a 22lr is not enought for self defence, but If you are not confterable and cannot acuratly shoot your gun you might as whell not carry one. A 22lr with 10 bullets can kill a person, no question about it. little recoil, very accurate, and you can practice all day long for $20.

I have a few CC guns and I almost always prefer to carry my 22lr. It is lighter and more confterable. If I am not confterabe I might leave it at home the day I need it.

Good luck,
But you pick a gun out for her make sure it is something you will like, just in case she doesnt.

I think this is a great option. .22LR mags would be very easy to carry, and you wont have to worry about your hearing (or the hearing of one's children, for those who have them) if you needed to use the pistol indoors or in a tight space.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top