JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I am looking for opinions on a good gun to buy for my wife hopefully by Christmas.:D
She had a concealed permit and is considering renewing it. The only pistol we have that she likes to shoot is a .22 and I would like to get her something with more stopping power.
Things to consider, she doesnt like alot of recoil, she has a hard time focusing on small sites and the target at the same time, needs to be small enough to conceal and small enough grip for a womans hand.

I have been thinking of a 9mm or .38 special, with good sites or a laser.

Any opinions appreciated, a short list of reasonably priced guns would be great!

Thanks, -Steve

100% sure that a good stainless snubby .38 special will be your best bet.

My wife has a Ruger sp101, and a S&W mod 60 ladysmith. She only shoots .38 special.

Laser is nice, but might be a distraction. My wife trains for fast point shooting. Most likely, if she has to use it in self defence, it will be a conflict under 10 yds away. Laser wouldn't ever be used.

Taurus stainless .38 snubby, used $250, new $325.
Ruger sp101, .38/.357, used $400, new $500.
S&W 60 snubby, .38/.357, used $400, new $500.

Nothing wrong with a Taurus.

Take her to a range that has lots of pistols to try out... then let her choose.

She must have the chance to try some different models and different calibers to make an informed choice... buying a pistol without her input is not a good idea.

Assuming that you can't take her to try some out first, I'd also suggest looking at an all-steel 5-shot .38spl/.357mag. You might also consider going 3" over the 2" size guns.

I have a 3" S&W Model 60 - my wife & other new shooters have found it to be quite reasonable w/ .38spl rounds. .357mag rounds are a bit of a handful....

Without a doubt, the best option for the wife is the gun that the wife herself selects. Pick one for her and put it under the tree and you are doomed to failure.

If you really want to do the right thing, take her to a range that rents guns, and/or invite some friends along who own guns that might -- might -- be right for her. Then let her shoot them to her heart's content and find the one that best fits her hand and eye.

Without a doubt, the best option for the wife is the gun that the wife herself selects. Pick one for her and put it under the tree and you are doomed to failure.

If you really want to do the right thing, take her to a range that rents guns, and/or invite some friends along who own guns that might -- might -- be right for her. Then let her shoot them to her heart's content and find the one that best fits her hand and eye.
No question about letting her choose. My wife had the option of several pistols, Sig 239, S&W 649, and some others I can't remember. She chose a Smith 66-1 with the 2.5" barrel. Reason? Trigger pull, she found it the easiest to pull the trigger without having to think about anything. What I found easy in a trigger pull she struggled with.

All that to say, make sure she doesn't struggle shooting at and let her choose.

Is there a good place in the Portland area that has a variety of guns available to use or rent? We are members of a local range (DRCC) but that is not a option there.
Thanks, -Steve

Is there a good place in the Portland area that has a variety of guns available to use or rent? We are members of a local range (DRCC) but that is not a option there.
Thanks, -Steve

Clackamas County PSTC -- they have a fair selection, not Keith's Sporting Goods - but not terrible. Glock, Springfield, Kimber, HK, Ruger, Walther, S&W...

$15 lane fee and $8 rental. bring a gun to rent a gun -- they don't want anyone renting a gun and committing suicide (has happened)

I'm in about the same process as you, 1st took her to a gun show and let her find the one that she liked the most. then we went from there on finding the right caliber.

Take her to a range that has lots of pistols to try out... then let her choose.

She must have the chance to try some different models and different calibers to make an informed choice... buying a pistol without her input is not a good idea.

Agree 100%. Instead of picking something up for "the little woman," let her decide. If you love her, urge her to carry something other than a mouse gun. Sure a .32 or .380 is better than nothing, but if you have to use a self defense gun, that means someone is trying to kill you. Why would you want to use an under powered gun for defending your life?

The one thing everyone agrees on is she should choose her own pistol...
when we go to let her chose her own pistol which ones should she consider?

Thanks for all the replys so far!

-Steve

The one thing everyone agrees on is she should choose her own pistol...
when we go to let her chose her own pistol which ones should she consider?

Thanks for all the replys so far!

-Steve
It depends on what she is comfortable with and how much she is going to shoot. If she isn't going to shoot much I would stick to a double action revolver because of ease of use.

Yes, certainly let HER choose. It will be her personal assistant, SHE must be comfortable with it.

I'd guess she'll want something small enough to fit her hand comfortably, enough power to do the required job, light enough to handle easily yet heavy enough to result in less felt recoil.

I'd make a couple of suggestions.... the Smith J-frames and Ruger mentioned are good.. though the all steel/stainless ones can weigh a bit. THe Ruger 101 with .38 +P will have nowhere near the recoil of the .357 it was designed for, and that round will have enough power to make a difference.

I'd also look into some of the nines...... Kahr make VERY fine pistols, lighter weight plastic frames or heavier all stainless ones. Nine or forty, but make sure she fires a forty before buying one. A LOT more recoil..... THe standard series (4" barrel) or the short, the M series, are good size. I've got CT grips on my MK 40..... and like it.

HK have very soft felt recoil, I suspect because of longer slides and softer springs. Doesn't pack the kick of some others. Farily light weight. I think they make a smaller single stack series, unless she's got fairly big hands the USP series might be a bit much.

A friend of mine has a CZ autoloader in .40, and his two daughters (skinny little things of fifteen and sixteen years old) LOVE shooting it. He was amazed, but they prefer that to his Ruger .22/45 pistol....... I believe the same size is also out in a nine.
I'm an avid fan of the Browing High Powers, most commonly found in nine, though forty have been produced for 20 years or so. VERY natural feeling pistol, relatively small grip, easy on recoil, absolutely accurate and foolproof... and classy. I've seen them 20 or 30 years old at gun shows for $500 to $600 bucks.....
Yes, its an adventure figuring out the best gun for a particular purpose. Part of why there are so many, I guess.

As all has been said let her choose. Ya know what they say about assumptions!! My ex-wife had a Sig P232 that was excellent for her, but she also liked my Glock 19 while I thought would have been too thick for her hands (very petite!). She refused revolvers, but they do work good for many women. I will say avoid the super-compacts for now; LCP, P3at, etc. Small fgins can be harder to manage, and can scare women who wan't some more comfort. Find a gun that fits her well and she loves, then pay whatever you have to for it. This was what kept my ex shooting with me.

Oh yeah- 1911's she did not care a whole lot for, the weight made her nervous, whereas girlfriend after I think developed a 1911 fetish!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top