JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My "little brother" (close family friend, known him since birth) is looking to become an electrician. He's a great kid, strong work ethic, just turned 21. I know there are quite a few electricans here, and I'm wondering if you might have some advice I can pass on :)

I had a buddy's kid recently looking at this also.

Be eager. Find a local small shop or independent contractor that takes on apprenticeships. OTJ apprentice may not make the best money - but the payoff comes when at the end of a few years when he has his ticket, experience and no school debt.
Most importantly - specialize. Even some control contractors make bigger dollar than some realize. (HVAC, Pump work, elevators, systems control, access control, etc.)
House power guys aren't getting the dollar they used to.

I don't know anybody with a license who doesn't have a job. :)

Good luck!

The best way is thru a friend or a relative. Apprenticeships have always been scarce.

Yes, to schooling. But lacking the above, start cultivating relationships now.

Be eager. Find a local small shop or independent contractor that takes on apprenticeships. OTJ apprentice may not make the best money - but the payoff comes when at the end of a few years when he has his ticket, experience and no school debt.
Most importantly - specialize. Even some control contractors make bigger dollar than some realize. (HVAC, Pump work, elevators, systems control, access control, etc.)
House power guys aren't getting the dollar they used to.

I don't know anybody with a license who doesn't have a job. :)

Good luck!

^^^ This ^^^

My buds that work with PLCs are making huge money!! But mostly, guys want to do house wiring. (Edit: because this is more in demand by electricians, and takes less training, it pays less. There are many more jobs available other than house wiring. My advice is to make a choice and stick with it.)

Last Edited:
Low voltage is what I would recommend. I've helped commercial electricians and it's heavy hard work and a lower risk of getting zapped.

My "little brother" (close family friend, known him since birth) is looking to become an electrician. He's a great kid, strong work ethic, just turned 21. I know there are quite a few electricans here, and I'm wondering if you might have some advice I can pass on :)

I can suggest a company that hires 1st year apprentices on a regular basis and provides training. Convo me if interested.

Get experience and your journeyman license.

Start your own contract business. There is so much construction going on here is SW WA that he would be super busy!

Be fair and honest. IE: If the HVAC system he's called on to fix only has a bad capacitor, replace the capacitor and charge accordingly. DO NOT tell the owner that the entire circuit board is shot and needs replaced, or worse yet, tell them the entire system is shot and needs replaced. (I won't say which company told us this when our 3 year old heat-pump quite working (which was still under warranty, but still insisted that they sell us, and install, a complete new system). :mad:)

I've always told myself that if anything ever happened to me, I'd become and "independent contractor" (Handyman). This area is getting older and people are needing (wanting) honest people to work on their stuff.

"Older" = houses, water heaters, pipes, plumbing, sprinkler systems, people (to the point they can't do the work themselves and are wanting to hire the work done).

Word of mouth is HUGE!!! I know of a couple guys that are so busy that they stopped advertising YEARS ago and now only work by word of mouth.

Good luck! If he's an honest and hard worker, he'll do good!

:s0155:

I have a journeyman electrician and a 1st term electrician apprentice on my job right now.
See if he wants to come out (East Vancouver) and talk to them for a few minutes.

1) Perfect opportunity to ask all his questions.
The apprentice will have all the current program info for him.
2) Needs to act fast....they are finishing up.

Contact me and we will set this up.

Engineer checking in, go to the two year program and find a job. Electricians can make more than the engineers with certain jobs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top