JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

Just wondering what some experiences have been selling on the online auction sites. I have a couple rifles I want to sell but have no idea what they are worth. So I thought I might list them on an auction site and let the market determine value.

I looked online and was surprised to see so many auction sites. So obviously I would want to list them on the site that will give me the chance to get the best selling price.

Other option is to list them on here as trade and see what I may be offered. Both are brand new unused but they have been in the safe for over 20 years.

Thanks

I've had good luck on gunbroker, as far as not too many flakes or scams. You can always look there, and see what stuff is currently going for, if you want to post it here, too.

A second for Gunbroker. I've not had a bad experience in as long as I've used that site (probably gotta be close to ten years now, if it's even been around that long.)

Other than on NWFA, I do most of my buying/selling on Gunbroker these days. I've had very few problems and plenty of good transactions. Due to the flakes, scammers, and flaky technology, I've given up on GunAuctions (formerly AuctionArms) years ago. YMMV.

Gunbroker has worked well for me. There are little glitches here and there with payment, mostly because I didn't read the post entirely, not the sellers fault. I've only had one "bad" experience recently. I ordered a rifle that was listed, paid for it and received a message the next day saying they didn't have the item in stock. I did receive a refund promptly.

I've also bought off another private website from well known members, no troubles.

Your neighbors here on NWFA buy lots of rifles :)

Try here too if you can get a price range from the GB search engine for your rifles. You have to be a GB member as I recall to see those previously sold results.

You can list on both NWFA and "auction" on GB but you might not get the top dollar on GB even in these weird times.

One weird experience I had as a seller on GB was that their "buy it now" thing can have odd results. I was selling some magazines as a lot, and one guy bought it by pushing the button, and another via e-mail... so I ended up with two buyers. I had already shipped the mags to the second guy without realizing there was someone first, when I got an e-mail from the first one ( who used the button on the site) wondering about tracking info. Gave him an immediate refund and apology, and considered myself lucky he didn't make a fuss... that could have gotten ugly, as it really WASN'T fair. So, just saying if you sell on there, be careful of multiple buyers.

I have 79 Gunbroker transactions , mostly buying but some selling, all positive!! I would recommend joining and buying a few things to build some feedback before listing your items to sell. Many people there will not deal with a member without feedback. Browse other ads to get an idea of how things work and what caveats you may want to add. When you post your items, post GOOD pictures, clear description, and details of transaction. Best time to end an auction is 5:00pm EST on Sunday. Apparently the most people have the time to be on the site then.

Gunbroker is good, just make sure you check the seller to make sure they have ratings and are not a brand new account. I am a regular over at the HKpro.com forum, and we have been catching quite a few fraudulent sellers there, where they create a new account, then post rare/unique HK's for seemingly good deals, and many of the photos are plagiarized/taken right off the forum. Have seen a rash of them lately . . .

Sounds like Gunbroker is the overwhelming consensus. Like pointed out the one thing I have going against me though is I will be a new user.

I think what I have should be of interest. I have three rifles (I have decided I may sell a third rifle.)
One is a Custom Grade Remington 7mm. that is engraved with a bighorn sheep theme.
Then a Winchester Model 70 Classic chambered in .270 Weatherby. That one I was holding onto for a first rifle for somebody but that was when I thought it was a .270 Winchester.
Then the other one is a Winchester model 94 in .44 Magnum.
All three have been in the safe for over 20 years and never fired. Still have have the boxes also.

GunBroker can be an interesting experience sometimes. I had one transaction that tried to hit my card 4 times, all being approved at 2 Grand each but that was an easy fix when I contacted the seller. I've also had a few experiences where I bought from a seller on one state and a completely unrelated entity in a different state shipped me my product, billed to original seller. Drop shipping and all. But I've never, EVER, not gotten what I've paid for according to the terms I read before bidding. Always read the terms. And right now people on GunBroker seem more than willing to pay extra for just about anything, it's a seller's market for sure and you want to sell

Even Gunbroker can be hazardous for a buyer. Some other gun forums have scam threads where members post up obvious scam posts. More often than not, they are right when they spot one.

If you do decide to sell on GB, and don't already have a decent sized positive feedback as a seller, be prepared to answer some additional questions and be willing to show "proof of life" to a potential buyer. Scammers will use photos that they pull from the Internet to make it appear that they have the item in their posession. There have been enough people burned that the extra caution is warranted.

E

Hi,

Just wondering what some experiences have been selling on the online auction sites. I have a couple rifles I want to sell but have no idea what they are worth. So I thought I might list them on an auction site and let the market determine value.

I looked online and was surprised to see so many auction sites. So obviously I would want to list them on the site that will give me the chance to get the best selling price.

Other option is to list them on here as trade and see what I may be offered. Both are brand new unused but they have been in the safe for over 20 years.

Thanks
First of all, I would do my due dillagence, and search the net for previous sales of like items. If you post them on an auction sight, post lots of well lit, good clear pictures.
Include pics of the boxes, and the paperwork.
Include all pertinent information, such as new in box. If known, year of production.
How long has the buyer been on the forum? Buyers' feedback?
Once you get a buyer/potential buyer, if possible have a phone chat.
That can tell you a lot.
If you would like to see a proper photo example, Google Jack The Dog.
Best,
Gary

Just this morning there was an post on Gunbroker advertising a HK USP Match for a killer price by a NR seller. It was a cut and paste from none other than our own favorite gun forum....Northwest Firearms. Scammer even used the same pictures and verbatim description from the original ad in 2016. I reported it and it was soon locked and deleted.

This was the original ad the scammer used.

-E-

Sounds like Gunbroker is the overwhelming consensus. Like pointed out the one thing I have going against me though is I will be a new user.

I think what I have should be of interest. I have three rifles (I have decided I may sell a third rifle.)
One is a Custom Grade Remington 7mm. that is engraved with a bighorn sheep theme.
Then a Winchester Model 70 Classic chambered in .270 Weatherby. That one I was holding onto for a first rifle for somebody but that was when I thought it was a .270 Winchester.
Then the other one is a Winchester model 94 in .44 Magnum.
All three have been in the safe for over 20 years and never fired. Still have have the boxes also.
Something to consider as a new seller on Gunbroker who only has a small amount of feedback... If you have established a history on Ebay, you may want to attach that information to show to prospective buyers on Gunbroker.

Another thing to consider is using a credit card when buying.

Yes, you may pay a 2-3% premium but you can always dispute the claim and you have the card company covering your backside. Helpful if you have any doubts about the seller.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top