JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a buddy has the hunting bug. Who's turning out the best off the shelf rifle these days?
Within a reasonable price <$700 or so.
He's decided on 7mm mag, but could be convinced otherwise but is new to shooting.
wants to give both deer and elk a try but can only afford one rifle.

Realistically savage is the only ones with a decent rifle and scope combo for under 700. Itas called the savage hunter. If the 700 doesn't include the scope I go with a tikka which is a rifle of a lifetime in my opinion. Or go out and find a used rifle and scope. That is usually very possible. But with how rifles and ammo are going right now...... good luck finding a decent deal on either.

Tikka T-3 for the Win! Hands down THE best off the shelf rifle you can find! That's just the rifle and not an optic, and may or may not include a optic mount, but it's still one damn fine rifle to have! If your buddy is "Into" the 7 mm mag, but not set on it, might change his mind to .270 win, lots of ammo available, it's quite a common chambering, and it's a lot less expensive then "Magnum" ammo. If your reloading, then it doesn't matter! 7 mag is a bit much for deer, but it will do the job!

T3? That is unless you can find a 695 or 595 on the shelf somewhere. As might be guessed, I own a 595 in .308.

Deer and elk caliber? Kind of a stretch as elk are an order of magnitude tougher than deer. Not to mention packing back out.

I have heard amazing things about the Tikka which is why I bought one in 7mm Rem Mag. Unfortunately, I will be unable to shoot it for medical reasons. If you're buddy is looking for one in 7mm send him my way as I'm selling mine.

Realistically savage is the only ones with a decent rifle and scope combo for under 700. Itas called the savage hunter. If the 700 doesn't include the scope I go with a tikka which is a rifle of a lifetime in my opinion. Or go out and find a used rifle and scope. That is usually very possible. But with how rifles and ammo are going right now...... good luck finding a decent deal on either.

Freaking nailed it corn dog

Another vote for Tikka T3x.
Stock out of the box sub moa.

Upper limit on your budget - but no better rifle for the money.

I have a blue in .308. Love it.

My .308 Tikka T3xCTR does "just alright".

89C967BA-2805-4C9F-9B72-5C0F73DEB533.jpeg

Tikka 7mm Rem Mag might be a bit stout for a new shooter. Avoid the machismo if possible. P

Yup, machismo can hurt, or worse, give you a lifetime flinch like the one I saw being developed right in front of my eyes at the Izaak Walton range a few years back. Me and Joe and Ron were over there popping caps and this youngster, built like a racing snake, and his dad, built like refrigerator, walked up to the bench and unlimbered dad's featherweight .300WM. Boy was wearing naught more than a T, but he cuddled up to that thing like it was his first real date, and cranked one off.

He went back AOT off the bench and sat there looking dazed - we looked the other way as his dad ripped him a new one for not holding on to it...

Not only are there some folks who shouldn't have nice guns, there are a few others who just shouldn't breed.

Last Edited:
Normally, I would say the 7 mag would be awesome, but for the sake of recoil and cost to feed, I would recommend something else. Especially with a novice hunter, the magnum isn't going to do any thing better, it takes a pretty experienced rifleman to exploite the 7 mags qualities. I'm gonna stand by the .270 win, but also recommend the .308 or even the .30/06 for more versitility, ease and cost of feeding, availability of proven quality loads, and resale value should he decide it's not for him!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top