JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did look at a lot of Leupold scopes under $1000 when I was scope shopping. At that price point there are more and better features available from other manufacturers. I really wanted zero reset turrets, for example.

I know the high-end Leupold stuff is as good as anything else, but we are limiting this convo to < $1000.
It seems like cresting just over the $1k price point can open up another world of options.
Check out arken optics. Lifetime warranty and guarantee tracking.

Wow, those are CHEAP. And looks like they've got some good features. Looks they've invested where it counts. Glass and tracking. Reticle is a little busier than I tend to like but I'm sure one could acclimate quickly.

It seems like cresting just over the $1k price point can open up another world of options.

Wow, those are CHEAP. And looks like they've got some good features. Looks they've invested where it counts. Glass and tracking.

Proof is in the pudding, and a FFP scope under $400? Seems to good to be true......

Trijicon makes some sub 1k glass

You mean sub par glass :). I had one, didn't like it.. I know, one of anything isn't a good comparison, but i ended up selling it because it was no where near as good as my Nightforce rifle scopes and for almost the same money... YMMV...
VGcdlmv.jpg

One scope that I had, that you don't hear much about is the Nikon monarch X. That was actually a better scope (to my eye) than the Trijicon I had...:
sMXCMOm.jpg

Glass clarity is very subjective, since we don't all have the same eyes, but the ability to accurately track is something that can't be denied. That's a mechanical aspect of the rifle scope and it either does or doesn't track accurately. To me, "best" means it will accurately track, has exceptional glass with a great reticle, and has a stellar warranty. I wish the OP good luck in finding what he desires, but if it were me, I'd lay my hard earned money down on NF...

I'm a Nikon fan. I made the mistake of trying an Athlon Argos and after sending it back and getting a few replacements when it couldn't handle .300WM recoil I put it on a .308 and haven't shot it enough to see if it will live on that rifle. I won't be wasting anymore money on them. I have four Nikons on different rifles and all have been great.

Recently I was considering a Bushnell Nitro for my M70 .270. I seem to have a hard time finding MOA FFP scopes anymore with capped turrets, everything's all tacticool.

I'm going to give a nod to Primary Arms for having the widest variety of scopes around the $500 that not only include things like FFP reticles but also things like zero stops with locking turrets etc. Most importantly, their reticle options are some of the most useful and intuitive out there in my opinion. Dimitry, the guy who designs their reticles is pretty much genius about his design and he demonstrates their usefulness in their videos. I'm not sure how well their standard series will hold up to large cals like .338 or .50 but for .308 they're excellent.

FWIW, I suspect that some of the big box stores will be blowing out Nikon scopes soon, now as from what I understand Nikon has announced that they are leaving the rifle scope game. :s0001: May want to keep a lookout.

FWIW, I suspect that some of the big box stores will be blowing out Nikon scopes soon, now as from what I understand Nikon has announced that they are leaving the rifle scope game. :s0001: May want to keep a lookout.

That may be true. However, you might just be buying a scope with no warranty.

Look for a used Leupold. I use Leupold vx3 4.5-14 and 3.5-10 on my primary hunting rifles. The cds system works well and they will build custom reticle for you and dials. The farthest I've shot in the field was 660 yards worked perfect for me. The two rifles I'm referring to shoot sub .5 moa consistently so I know the scopes work well and have for years. I also have used a vari x ll 3x9 for 43 years and it also has performed flawlessly. Not fancy but solid proven American made lifetime guarantee.

Sightron SIII scopes are some of the best I have found for the money and many of them are under $1K. I have a couple Nightforce Competition scopes and a Vortex Golden Eagle and my SIII 8-32X target dot is still my favorite scope. I have it on a Cooper 20 VarTarg I used for sage rat hunting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top