JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thread title says it all.

I like sharp knives and I keep my cheapo kitchen blades pretty good with that $3 yellow keychain gadget you find near the checkout at Lowe's Depot, etc. But I want to expand my capabilities somewhat and do all my pocket knives, scissors, garden tools, etc. And I want to do it using electricity, noise, sparks and foolproof guides that require MINIMAL thought, skill, elbow-grease or time. I'm getting older and I'm not inclined to spend the rest of my life hacking away at things with dull implements.

A buddy told me about the Worksharp blade sharpening tool, and went on to tell me they also have a special Ken Onion edition. Both a bit pricey, but I can pony up a few bucks if everything I use from this point forward makes me pause and say "Damn, that's a sharp blade!"

Is there a distinct advantage to owning either one of these tools? Perhaps there's something similar I've not found yet?

What do you guys and gals recommend?

I use this, keep my kitchen knives to 20*, and my pocket knives at 25*.

Stand at the kitchen sink with a little Dawn dish soap and water and spend about 10 minutes each blade if it's been a while on the rough, then another 5 on the fine.

Can be found locally at BiMarts. $29.99

I have a Santoku that's my favorite to use and I'll cut ripe tomatoes and once my wifes friend stopped by and assume that I was using lots of effort. I showed her that I was holding the knife by the handle and letting the weight hold it to the board while only running the knife through the tomato. She was going to have me sharpen their large kitchen knife.

I prefer not to use belts or anything that can make the blade get warm. I just like the time spent working it back and forth getting it beyond razor sharp.

These and a Big 4 Sided (4x4) leather strop are what I use.

upload_2015-4-10_0-48-26.png

Tormek.jpg

sabatier_strop.jpg

Last Edited:
Yes, it is variable speed and can be slowed way down for finish work.

I just use a 2 x 72 belt grinder but even a cheap one of those is $$$ and it requires some skill. Those little work sharp deals I think do an outstanding job for pretty small money and are pretty much idiot proof

They will put a good, working edge on just about anything. If you want a straight razor edge you will still need to do some polish/stropping

Many times people assume not sharp edge when really it is rolled over.
Get a strope - you can buy one or use an old pair of jeans.

Then +1 on the Smith system.

If you strope your razor blades, you will typically get twice as long usage out of them.

If you strope your razor blades, you will typically get twice as long usage out of them.

And a good stopping compound on the leather or synthetic strop will make it all the better. That can be had at any good knife shop, woodcraft supply or woodcrafters also.

Yeah I like the ability on the Smith stuff to be able to adjust the tension down less and less until it's just the weight of the stone on each side of the blade. Eliminates any rollover.

Always nice when your kitchen knife can slice a piece of paper in half; that is thickness - in half with the weight of the blade.

:)

I have the luxury of having a very good friend that just happens to like making knives and has a shop set up for doing so.

I let him sharpen my knives;)...

He did tell me to get a diamond stone in medium and fine to keep the edge while I'm out using it to keep it sharp till I can get it back to him.

If he ever moves though, I may have to figure this out so I'll be watching the thread.

Eze-Lap diamond files, DMT diamond plates... Even the clones from Harbor Freight Tools, in Diamond Plates, are ALL are used in my shop!

I still have and use my First 1200 Grit Eze-Lap file, bought in the Mid 70's... It First was used on the Triger Control Group on my Ruger 10-22.

I bought bought it because the Guns & Ammo magazine story said this is how to smooth out the trigger on that type Ruger!

Learn your angles... That is the Main Issue: hold that edge (knife, chisel, Axe, WHATEVER...) at the Correct Angle...

Each Stroke! You must learn to HOLD the ANGLE.... It takes time to Learn The Angle, after that, it is fast... I Started with Eze-Lap, but now own Smith, & DMT, as well as the cheep Harbor Freight four sided large plate... Use only water on them...

Hint, If You are a New knife sharpening person, then buy a large size Marks All... Cover your edge with the marks all... Apply your knife to the sharpening device adjust to the angle, and draw it ONCE. Then look at what is shiney, that is whatever angle you used!

Does it reach to the Very Edge of your your blade? (Is there color or shiney on the EDGE) !!!!

That one trick, will teach you about keeping your Angle!

Reapply your Marks All!

I will buy a dull OLD rusty chisel at a yard sale for a quarter, and with a little work have a razor sharp chisel edge on it, never touching it to a Power Anything... And 9/10 times it is Better Steel than high grade stuff made today!!!

Been sharpening knives since I was a Cub Scout, late 1950's.... Point being, I still will use that Marks All on a new object, to see how the angle is... Compared to how the metal was originally done!

I even sharpen my Exacto Blade knife blades, until they are worn out!!!!

I hope that helps...

philip

I've found that those old electric can opener sharpener thingies will make a fine knife glow red hot almost instantly and impart really cool serrations all at the same time. double win

My Kershaw is serrated ..what's the best (cheapest) sharpener that will do the job on that?

RF, both Smith and DMT make Great diamond hones for serrated edges, one threads into is Brass Handle, the other has a simple screw collet locking device, with the sharpener sliding in & out.

edit to add:
http://www.discountcutlery.net/EZLM-Eze-Lap-Sportsmans-Diamond-Hone_p_35125.html

I have both, both are good, the latter one is what is in my go bag, it weighs less... the other, the first one I described, is slightly Better in Function.

One has a Flat edge as well, Old Age keeps my forgetter on which is which!

they are 4-5 inches of edge maker... and one is very much like a long round tapered Comes to a Point, the other is like a rod, with a "sharpened pencil tip" which ends up rounded....

then, Eze-Lap makes their only hoakey device: its about the length of a Ball point pen top, with pocket clip, then you pul out the sharpening device. it is a D rod, that is, it has a Flat, and that ends in a rounded half sphere, the reason it is hoakey, is that it is very hard to keep together when using it.... its UpSide is extreme Light weight...

there is a neat part to it: the flat has a Vee groove, meant to sharpen Fish Hooks, but I used it for final shaping of long pointed edges, like say the Schrade "Old Timer" it will sharpen such knife ends to be Oh So Nice!

I used the Old Timer, with "Custom Made Point" to dress all the Squirrels I used to shoot: fresh MEAT, daily, as my Family Built our 2 Story Log Cabin.... Five/Six Squirrels, all eyeball hits (No joke) and hand them all ready for darling wife to make dinner...

I would return to ~Super LogMAN~ until I was called to dinner, Sixteen to Seventeen hour days, on top of our Mountain Top "Estate"

FINAL EDIT:
http://www.discountcutlery.net/DMTDCSFH-DMT-Diamond-Honing-Cone_p_46172.html EXPENSIVE! but exactly designed for your need.

I have bought all three items from Bi-Mart, as well as seen 2 out 0f 3 in Wally's World, and in Freddie's...

I would feel Good to go, with any one of them, accepting each ones benefits, as well as limitations

Hope that helps,

philip

PS, RatFink, just saw the cheapest part... the Eze-Lap is cheapest here is link:

http://www.knivesplus.com/eze-lap-sharpener-ez-s.html and they have a new to me item:
http://www.knivesplus.com/EZ-ST-EZE-LAP.HTML

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top