JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be picking up a brand-new Ruger AR 5.56 in early September. That rifle is waiting for my money (the decision is final).

How about...

a) The S&W Sport 2, or

b) the Colt LE 6920 5.56, or

c) the American Tactical's Omni (5.56) hybrid.

Is there another that's an even "better bet" for the money?

I vote for the M&P Sport, I have two of them and they are awesome for the price. Well put together with quality parts, reliable and accurate. Smiths reputation speaks for itself.
I have a few much fancier ARs, but I tend to find myself grabbing a Sport more than not when I go shooting.

Last Edited:
I've been looking at this Anderson build from Wise Arms:
<broken link removed>
Tim over there says he can leave out the lower and knock off $100 to make it a "parts kit," and with a little shopping you can usually find lowers for around $50-60. Drop the cheap Leapers red-dot and that knocks off another $25, but you still have to provide your own optic or BUIS and assembly tools.

Build your own? I picked up a lower for $50. A LPK for $70. A Magpul MOE for $30 (I already had the tube, spring and buffer). And a drop-in upper with BCG and charge handle for $300. Total = $450.

After a lengthy research I recently bought the S&W M&P15 sport II. My decision was based on S&W's reputation, the lifetime warranty, experts reviews and the features the rifle came with. Oregon Arms and Ammo has them for sale for $650 locally. They even have accessories for the same price you would pay on the internet without having to wait and pay for shipping.

Nice gun, it shoots well and the lifetime warranty should give you a piece of mind. I fired 150 rounds through it without an issue. All I've done to it is lightly lubed the moving parts. The adjustable buttstock it came with is flimsy and need replaced asap with the front grip soon to follow. This is my first AR, I am used to owning more "substantial" European rifles such as AK's and HK's.

You can never go wrong with the Smith & Wesson logo on the side of your gun :)

DSC_1828_zpsieyumpry.jpg

Last Edited:
What is on your list, I personally would go with the 6920. Aero AC-15, if you can find them in stock can be had for your price. I know you said you don't want to build, but I recently bought all the parts and had a local gunsmith slap it together for me. You will probably go over budget that way, but may get things more "customized" to you.

"Building your own" wasn't in the equation. May I suggest that everyone read the initial post, please?
From your post

Since your question didn't ask is there another manufacture pre-built rifle that's a better bet. With your sentence one, could come up with the answer building your own would be a better bet.

How
From your post

Since your question didn't ask is there another manufacture pre-built rifle that's a better bet. With your sentence one, could come up with the answer building your own would be a better bet.

How clever! Is your tongue in the shape of a pretzel? A manufactured rifle is the idea, and you knew it. Manipulating things as if you are William Jefferson Clinton is a bit pointless, don't you think? Is, is is, is is, is is...

How

How clever! Is your tongue in the shape of a pretzel? A manufactured rifle is the idea, and you knew it. Manipulating things as if you are William Jefferson Clinton is a bit pointless, don't you think? Is, is is, is is, is is...
I understand you're an internet tough guy. In your original post. Where did you make the statement that if someone suggested building a rifle that would be better than the $650 one you could buy would get you all butt hurt?

Captain O... I've only seen you in two threads, but everything you've posted that I've seen has been unnecessarily hostile and negative, and not even in a creative or amusing way

Chill out, man.

If you can snag a 6920 for less than $650, that's absolutely the way to go. I had no idea they'd come down that much - and if so, I know what my next purchase is gonna be

Alot of great deals out there for an AR buyer who wants a ready- to- shoot rifle for less than $650. I thought would be buying an assembled unit, but then I got sidetracked, saw a Spike's upper with a 16" chrome-lined 1:7 barrel, M4 flat top receiver, MOE M-LOK handguard, A-2 sight and I was hooked. Of course I had to get a Spike's lower too- guys who build their rifles know how it goes. I probably could have bought an assembled midlength AR from them, but the 6-8 week wait, plus having to pull grips, stock off and swap them for parts I wanted didn't make sense versus buying the parts and having a gun buddy build it. I'll probably come in just under $1k after I buy my rear sight- not quite $650, but I'm happy with my choices and I'm getting what I wanted.

Geno

Look, let's all just chill. So maybe OP had an oversight and forget to chuck the word "preassembled" in there--we all have our bad days at the keyboard and our share of brainfarts.

Now that we know we're looking for "Open Box & Shoot," that gives us a helpful constraint to narrow the search. Everybody take five minutes and a few breaths, and hopefully we're all mostly on the same page now... :)

I understand you're an internet tough guy. In your original post. Where did you make the statement that if someone suggested building a rifle that would be better than the $650 one you could buy would get you all butt hurt?

I'm not, as you say, "butt hurt" (nothing that crude was either stated or implied). On the other hand, you presume that everyone has the ability to install (and the ability to head space) a new barrel onto an new "upper". Not everyone has a shop or has access to a shop (and the requisite tools) to do so. Had you considered that not everyone is either a gunsmith or possesses the requisite skills?

Apparently not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top